Help with Little Dot and turntable
Dec 31, 2007 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Shizam

New Head-Fier
Just got my Little Dot mkIII in the mail and was super jazzed, plugged in grad 325i (just got in the mail) and my Technics turntable.... no sound. Strange, ok so I plugged the LDIII into my computer, sound came out great. I plugged the turntable back in and turned the volume up to about 70% and I could hear a faint tinny version of my record. I turned the power off and on and it was the same volume level so its just passing the non-amplified sound to my headphones. Whats up?

EDIT: Ok, I was slightly wrong, it was the tubes warming down that let the faint sound come through. So now I got my turntable playing and have to turn the volume up to 90% on the dial to get any reasonable sound out! That can't be right...

Thanks,
Sam

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Little Dot mkIII in the mail and was super jazzed, plugged in grad 325i (just got in the mail) and my Technics turntable.... no sound. Strange, ok so I plugged the LDIII into my computer, sound came out great. I plugged the turntable back in and turned the volume up to about 70% and I could hear a faint tinny version of my record. I turned the power off and on and it was the same volume level so its just passing the non-amplified sound to my headphones. Whats up?

EDIT: Ok, I was slightly wrong, it was the tubes warming down that let the faint sound come through. So now I got my turntable playing and have to turn the volume up to 90% on the dial to get any reasonable sound out! That can't be right...

Thanks,
Sam

What are you using as a phono stage amp?

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 21
Oh god you poor thing.

Remember all that researching/comparing/spending you did to find a headphone, can amp, and (maybe) turntable? Prepare to do it all over again when you look for a phonostage.

You could probably use a vintage receiver's phono-inputs and use the tape-out to run a line to your LD. That's the budget way at least.

What turntable do you have?

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

What is a phono stage amp? Here is what I'm doing:

[Turntable]----[LittleDotIII]----[Grado 325i]

The only amp in the system is the LD3.

sam

Ow Sam, you are missing the one thing you must have. Do you have a receiver, or a pre-amp, or integrated amp???

Dec 31, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 21
Arggggggggggh. Argh. I thought all I needed was the LDIII
frown.gif
Guess I need a pre-amp then, any suggestions on where to start? I'm willing to spend up to around $80 I spoze.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 21
Shizam,
Finding a good Phono preamp for $80 will be very difficult unless you buy used. Used, you should be able to find a NAD one. I started using the phono section of an old NAD 7240 receiver which worked well considering the receiver cost me only $20. I have upgraded to a Project TubeboxSE which is a big step up from the NAD in both performance and price (retails $550 but bought used for $400). If you can spend about $180, I have heard Cambridge Audio (model 640) is pretty good.

Good luck in your search.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

frown.gif
Guess I need a pre-amp then, any suggestions on where to start? I'm willing to spend up to around $80 I spoze.

Before shelling out a decent amount money on a new phono-stage, check to see whether you already have a preamp that has phono-stage functionality; many vintage models and even some more modern stereo receivers can directly accept a turntable and will thus solve the volume problem that you seem to be experiencing.

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the little dots function as pre-amps though.

For everything except Turntables. He needs the phono stage amp to normalize the equalization and to boost the output up to normal device output levels.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sop_e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shizam,
Finding a good Phono preamp for $80 will be very difficult unless you buy used. Used, you should be able to find a NAD one. I started using the phono section of an old NAD 7240 receiver which worked well considering the receiver cost me only $20. I have upgraded to a Project TubeboxSE which is a big step up from the NAD in both performance and price (retails $550 but bought used for $400). If you can spend about $180, I have heard Cambridge Audio (model 640) is pretty good.

Good luck in your search.

I totally agree, for now I'm dabbling first to make sure this is for me so I picked up a TC-760LC:

Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-760LC Details and Hookup

When I'm rabid for this in a year (and I'm either manic about something or its not worth it) I'll be looking at the $500 level of tube amps. I saw the TubeBoxSE and coveted it already though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sam

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 21
I've heard good things about that phono pre, so job well done in selecting it! I think you'll find that you've got a very good setup now. Later on if you decide to get a tube phono then look at the Jolida one.

Jan 1, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 21
The Little Dot MKIII you just got is an exceptional tube amp! Don't forget that it needs approximately 100hrs use for it to "mature". Great sounds are coming your way!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

frown.gif

You need a phonostage, not a pre-amp. Look for some of the late 80's solid state receivers like a Technics, they all have phono stages and will sound better than what you've got now, the thing is they get absolutely no love (justifiably so as they sound quite poor as a receiver), but as a result they go for dirt cheap on the 'bay.
cool.gif

Congrats on the Little Dot, have fun tube rolling!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back