Help with first pair of headphones
Feb 22, 2011 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

KarimyBaby

New Head-Fier
Hey folks

I need some suggestions on some good headphones (BEATS = poor highs/lows + fragile) plus i think they are just a fad.  Im starting to get paranoid with earbuds and going deaf. Preferably some On The Ear type because i wanna be able to casually wear them on the bus and workout with them and not have some huge studio ones on. I was thinking about the BOSE OE ones but im sure there are better ones out there..$100-150 price range.  I've been hearing great things about Sennheiser HD555, Grado SR80i, and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S...any other suggestions...I usually listen to Rap and R&B with some occasional jazz...also what is the difference between open and closed type?  Thanks

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 26
Go for Sennheiser HD 25-1  These are closed cans that you can wear in public without disturbing other people, very comfortable, light weight, very easy to drive, very robust, if you break it you can easy buy a replacement part. Most important of all a great SQ.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 26
x2, the HD555 and Grado's are open, so there will be too much sound leaking in/out especially on something like a bus. The HD 25-1 should have much better isolation. The M50's are a bit larger than the HD 25-1, but if you can swing it they are a great option as well. 

Also, open cans allow much of the outside noise in and people can hear your music (Grado leaking more than the HD555's from my experience, but both aren't very good with isolation). Closed headphones help with noise isolation, both in and out, plus they offer a bit more bass typically.
Quote:
Go for Sennheiser HD 25-1  These are closed cans that you can wear in public without disturbing other people, very comfortable, light weight, very easy to drive, very robust, if you break it you can easy buy a replacement part. Most important of all a great SQ.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 26
Try a to audition the Sennheiser PX200 II, it is a very versatile little headphone...

Open versus closed in a nut shell means this: open headphones tend to sound more spacious while the music through a closed headphone can sound contained and restricted. Subjectively speaking contained and restricted can come across as very in your face and sometimes even bright. The PX200 II is one of many headphone that sounds spacious up to a limit, still spacious enough to be enjoyable though.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 26
Thanks for the replies...so scratch the grados and hd555s...so how about comparison of the hd 25 and m50s..or any other suggestions...btw how are the shure srh440..some guy next to me on da bus is rockin them

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 26
X2 on the Sennheiser PX200-ii, they are great for your type of music IMO.

One problem about your list of choices is that the m50s are not ON the ear, they are AROUND the ear, so may not be so good for working out.
:DD

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 26
Don't forget the Shure 840's... You can get them for $130 if you try.

*edit. I didn't see the part where it said on ear before posting.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 26
It doesnt necessarily have to be on the ear...since i was going to use them also in public (bus, gym) i didnt want some huge studio headphones...if they are around the ear but not huge its fine...the HD 25 look intriguing but will kinda hurt my pockets as the best i can find them at was 200...i wanted to stay around the 150 or less range but if they are really worth it i might pull the trigger on them...are the m50s not for my type of music? or are they huge? cant really tell from pictures.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 26
The M50's would be great for your music taste, but the problem is that they are probably a bit too large for what you need.

Quote:
..are the m50s not for my type of music? or are they huge? cant really tell from pictures.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 26
Ok so ive come up with a list of headphones in the mix for my purchase and wanted to see what your guys input was on them.  Looks arent priority as much as comfort, sound quality, and environment i will use them in (gym, bus, at home), and price.  Tryna stay 150 or under but will go a bit higher if they are worth it.  Again no amp will be used.
Not in any order
  • Sennheiser HD 25
  • Audio Technica M50
  • Sennheiser PX200
  • Phiaton MS400
  • Ultrasone HFI580
  • V-Moda Crossfade
  • Denon 1100

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 26
Go with the m50s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back