HELP: Ultrasone HFI-780 or Denon AH-D1100 for portable use
Feb 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mrmonday

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,
I am on the market for a pair of exciting headphones for all around use at home and on the go. I am a student so I always have a backpack to carry them in, so size is not really a problem as long as they fold flat to fit in my backpack like a binder. I really want a thumpy bass to make electronic tunes and hip hop wake me up after boring lectures, but I also need a little clarity for soft rock and pleasure listening. I prefer an around ear closed back design for comfort and isolation on bus rides. I have looked into virtually every headphone available and have narrowed it down to the HFI-780 and D1100. Based on what I have read the Ultrasones have the sound I am looking for but when I look at the pictures of people wearing them they look pretty rediculous: HFI-780. The Denons seem to have close to the sound I am looking for but less exciting; however, their superior comfort and looks may make up for it. If you head-fi people have any other suggestions I would love to have your input.
Thanks in advance.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 12
I have the hfi-780s and HAD the d1001s (quite a bit different from the d1100s though). I do like the ultrasones; the thumpy bass you want develops after the first few weeks and the vocals really sound great. The mids are pretty recessed so guitars actually don't sound that good on them but passable. The denon comfort, as you allude to it awesome but I still think the ultrasones are very comfortable on my NARROW head. Maybe the clamping force is less? All in all I do believe that the ultrasone produces a higher quality sound though in a head to head comparison maybe the denons perform better in the rock/soft rock catagory. A word on style: my ultrasones get tons of compliments on "looking fly" so I guess its a matter of taste. I can only the recommend the ultrasones because I haven't heard the D1100s (only the d1001s) but I don't think you'll be disappointing especially since they can be had for about the same as the denons.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks, this helps a whole bunch
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 12
One more question if you don't mind, I was taking a look at the pro 750 and pro 900 and I could probably afford them. I was mainly considering them because of the velour pads and removable cable but the problem I ran into was powering them from an mp3 player. I always use an ipod with itunes bitrate music, will the titanium drivers on the proline make my music sound terrible? and will I need an amp, and if I do would a ibasso t3 or Cmoy do it? Just an option I am looking into, input is appreciated.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 12
i didn't do any research on the pro series so can't really help you there. I will say that I bet they are more comfortable than the hfi-780s but like you said, less easy to drive.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 12
1. How does the bass compare on the two?
2. How does the midrange compare (which is more clear/less veiled and more forward than the other)?
3. Which one can sometimes sound more harsh (high mids or low highs too bright)?

I was thinking of upgrading to the Sony xb700 or the denon ah-d1100 from the Ultrasone HFI-780 because of the comfort (the 780 can't be listened to for a long time).

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 12

Have either of you considered D2000's rather than D1100's?
Quote:
1. How does the bass compare on the two?
2. How does the midrange compare (which is more clear/less veiled and more forward than the other)?
3. Which one can sometimes sound more harsh (high mids or low highs too bright)?

I was thinking of upgrading to the Sony xb700 or the denon ah-d1100 from the Ultrasone HFI-780 because of the comfort (the 780 can't be listened to for a long time).

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Have either of you considered D2000's rather than D1100's?

Yeah I did at first (their kinda expensive) but I think the 1100s would sound nearly as good for $100 cheaper. Does the d2000 have a better midrange than the d1100? Is so, then is it more clear and is it more forward?

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 12
@h1a8 : regarding the look of the HFIs... the pic you posted... the problem with it are not quite the cans... I think...
ph34r.gif

I can wear mine for a few hours straight with no problem. I think I have a pretty normal sized head too.

I currently don't have any Denons, but I remember not liking their bass for being too loose and overpowering some of the midrange. They do impress on a first listen though. You should have a listen to evaluate.
The HFI will take forever to burn in - mine took about 400 hours - and can be modded to sound really better. I just damped the drivers with Dynamat and replaced the pads with some velours and they really sound amazing, as with electronic as with electric guitars. Voices are pretty well done too, especially female.

bothe Ultrasone and Denons will sound good off any decent DAP.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
@h1a8 : regarding the look of the HFIs... the pic you posted... the problem with it are not quite the cans... I think...
ph34r.gif

I can wear mine for a few hours straight with no problem. I think I have a pretty normal sized head too.

I currently don't have any Denons, but I remember not liking their bass for being too loose and overpowering some of the midrange. They do impress on a first listen though. You should have a listen to evaluate.
The HFI will take forever to burn in - mine took about 400 hours - and can be modded to sound really better. I just damped the drivers with Dynamat and replaced the pads with some velours and they really sound amazing, as with electronic as with electric guitars. Voices are pretty well done too, especially female.

bothe Ultrasone and Denons will sound good off any decent DAP.

I have the 780's (had them for more than 3 years). I like them alot. I have no problem with their sound (except I wish the midrange was a little more forward). I did hate the treble spike at first, either they have burned in or I'm used to it now. I have to eq the bass up 2-3 db though. I just don't think they are comfortable enough. 3 hrs or more and I feel it good. Sometimes I just want to fall asleep in them, but can't.

I'm into this thread mostly because I'm interested in the denons and the sony xb700 since I'm looking for something more comfortable. But I don't want to sacrifice and get a worst midrange than the HFI-780. So all i really want to know is how the midrange compares between the two (as far as clearness/details and forwardness).

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Denons provide confort, but I don't think the midrange is better... maybe different, def not upgrade material.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Denons provide confort, but I don't think the midrange is better... maybe different, def not upgrade material.

is it as clear and is it as forward as the 780 after eqing them? I'm primarily looking for comfort #1 but don't want to trade that for a worst midrange, otherwise I'll just keep the 780s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back