HELP!! SELL the Pioneer HDJ-2000's for AKG K271 MKII Vs. AKG K550 Vs. Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 or 250 ohm)?
Aug 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DJ TRicks

New Head-Fier
Hey Gang,

I could really use some help on deciding what to do with my Pioneer HDJ-2000's, either keeping them or getting rid of them and picking up a different pair of cans?

A brief history about my DJ guruness (that's not a word but hopefully follow my drift), I've owned the Technics RP-DH1200s, Technics RP-DJ1200s, Beats Pro by Dr. DRE (>_<), Sennheiser HD 25-1, IEM's Sennheiser CX150, IEM's SkullCandy Titaniums, until recently picking up the Pioneer HDJ-2000s a few months ago.

When I initially picked-up the Pioneer HDJ-2000s I was crazy in love with them, that-is until a month or so afterwards either my ear went south or I was just not satisfied and wanting to use them anymore.

Being that I'm an open-format DJ/ Music Producer/ Sound Engineer (Rock, Pop, Hip-hop, Jazz, R&B, Classical, Top-40, House y Electronica, Mash-up/ Re-mixer) it's imperative for me to have a solid all-around pair of cans that are not fabricated when it comes to sound quality, yet reproduces accuracy and cancels out background shenanigance.

My thoughts @bout the HDJ-2000's:

Sounds mmm'k but lacks complete noise isolation (and I rather not void my warranty by making such mods advised by some the guys from here on the forum).
Purchased the Fiio E11, and ordered velour pads. Slight difference but not much.
The detachable cable & transportable compactness are both dope features.
Magnesium structure is a humongous kudos ...freaking things are built for WW3!
Very comfortable...cool stereo-to-mono toggle switch feature.

I've used the Pioneer HDJ-2000s only a hand full of times as a DJ, generally for 5-hour durations @ larger venues and occasionally in the studio (IMHO at this point I'm about ready to hang them up, trade them up, or send them off to new owner (Lol))

Can anyone share their live mixing experience with headphones of either equal/ better quality brand and model of headphone(s),. etc...for example the Pioneer HDJ-2000's, AKG K271 MKII, AKG K550, Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 or 250 ohm). 

Budget's $400

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 12
AFAIK the HDJ-2000 are as tough as they get, and about as good as its going to get for live sets, so good luck trying to improve on it.

When it comes to studio stuff there is a lot of room for improvement, where isolation is not such a big factor, and analytical ability is.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
AFAIK the HDJ-2000 are as tough as they get, and about as good as its going to get for live sets, so good luck trying to improve on it.

When it comes to studio stuff there is a lot of room for improvement, where isolation is not such a big factor, and analytical ability is.

To note, K550 has a resonating upper mids, thats @#$%^&*( annoying to those with a semi decent ear, so stay away.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks, just the response I was hoping for...

IMHO I spent at least an entire year testing out head gear @Guitar Center for live performance and after due time the final verdict was the HDJ-2000s. I'm beginning to question myself if I've been burned-in fully considering the amount of playback hours they've been given?

Also thanks for the feedback about the K550s, they look dope (imo) but after reviewing the FS/ TD makertplace I'm noticing that a lot of people are selling/ trading off these cans like hot cakes. 

Do you have any feedback on Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 or 250 ohm) during live performance? These cans "also" seem to be making a lot of appearance in the FS/ TD marketplace, which I suspect isn't a good looks....ey?

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Thanks, just the response I was hoping for...

IMHO I spent at least an entire year testing out head gear @Guitar Center for live performance and after due time the final verdict was the HDJ-2000s. I'm beginning to question myself if I've been burned-in fully considering the amount of playback hours they've been given?

Also thanks for the feedback about the K550s, they look dope (imo) but after reviewing the FS/ TD makertplace I'm noticing that a lot of people are selling/ trading off these cans like hot cakes. 

Do you have any feedback on Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 or 250 ohm) during live performance? These cans "also" seem to be making a lot of appearance in the FS/ TD marketplace, which I suspect isn't a good looks....ey?

The K550 are FTOM, thats all. I don't have a Beyer nor very much knowledge on Beyers, so sorry can't help there. But I do suspect there Sound quality control is a bit lax, considering the varying SS they produce.

I can recommend some cans for studio work, or on the move work, but live gigs... I'd be pushing my knowledge a bit far. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 12
I was probably one of the early pushers of the HDJ-2000 on headfi (and have modded mine extensively), though even I will admit their shortcomings. 

I wouldn't use them for studio work, as they are too bassy for that. Along that line, I wouldn't use the DT770 for studio either as they are bass humped. The AKG K271 are very good though, neutral sound, fantastic isolation, but are not portable at all. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 12
Okay final verdict... gonna keep the HDJ-2000s and complete the full modification which is suggested by Armaegis. Ordering Dynmat and felt will follow-up after the modification is complete...

Armaegis---> how think of a felt should I pickup for the mod? Also are there any new findings or user friendly materials you would suggest for the HDJ-2000s mod?

Lastly I need to pickup a pair of studio cans:

AKG K240s, or AKG Q701s...any thoughts?

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #8 of 12
The felt I have is maybe 1/8" and fairly soft. 

Don't use the peel'n'seal (roof repair) stuff. It's just too messy. If you've got the dynamat, use that instead. Same goes for that ring of blutak around the front baffle, replace that with dynamat too if you can. 

In the cup instead of putting two chunks of blutack into the wells you could use some acoustic foam instead. 

Note the changes I made in red (steps 3 and 4). This actually cuts down on the bass but improves clarity. 

For new studio cans, the K240 or Q701 are both good. For mixing, I'd veer more towards the Q701. Or if you can find them, the K240M or K240DF are good too, but both really want an amp. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Armaegis thanks muchos bro!

Ordered all of the modification materials....and as for studio cans I'm gonna roll with the AKG Q701's.

Question though, I use an Fiio E11 headphone amp with my pioneer HDJ-2000s. Which amp do you use prefer to use with your HDJ-2000s? And lastly for the AKG Q701 cans do you have a suggested headphone amp to power these in the studio? 

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 12
Armaegis thanks muchos bro!

Ordered all of the modification materials....and as for studio cans I'm gonna roll with the AKG Q701's.

Question though, I use an Fiio E11 headphone amp with my pioneer HDJ-2000s. Which amp do you prefer to use with your HDJ-2000s? And lastly for the AKG Q701 cans do you have a suggested headphone amp to power these in the studio? 

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 12
I actually use mine unamped when going portable. At home, I run them through whatever I have on hand, which at the moment is either an iBasso D10, FiiO e10, or Nuforce Icon2 (the full sized amp/dac, not the udac). 

When I owned the K701 and K702, my favourite amp to run them through was a Purity Audio KICAS (which are discontinued, though I saw one on the sale forums not too long ago). They were ok from my D10 but they wanted a little more oomph. Didn't like it from the few home receivers I tried (Sansui, Hamon Kardon). Thought it was pretty good from an Audio-gd Sparrow. I've heard good things about the pairing with a FiiO e9. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 12
@ OP, glad you came to Head-Fi for advice.

As a DJ and Producer my self neutral sounding headphones are a must for me when I'm producing.

For studio or home use I would suggest the Beyer DT990. For all around use; DT770 or the Ultrasone Pro 900.

- EpicPie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back