Help please. Haven’t bought new cans in years: <$400, over ear, wired, comfy w/eyeglasses
May 22, 2021 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Rabco

New Head-Fier
Like some other posts I’ve read, the current market has a myriad of choices.

My current headphones are years old Sennheiser 555’s. They were purchased partly because the Sony’s I had back then seemed harsh to me. I’m not interested in earbuds, in-ear, etc as my ear canal openings are no where near the normal range the manufacturers seem to target. And I don’t want to pay for an ear impression….I’d rather put my money in the headphones themselves. I do ok with my glasses with the HD 555’s. For mobile situations I’m fine with my wired EarPods, an auxiliary silicone “horn” to help keep them in place used with an old iPhone Special Edition that probably should have been replaced by now.

I do my serious headphone listening reasonably close to my main rig aided by a 10 foot extension with 1/4” plug. My digital front end is a 2018 mac Mini. I’ve been using lossless codecs since most people didn’t know what an mp3 was, much less FLAC etc. My dac is an MHDT Labs Canary tube dac. Preamp is a Schiit Vali +2 tube preamp/headphone amp using, thanks to a HeadFi review an electro-harmonix 6CG7 valve. I’m considering new headphones as I’m guessing current cans have probably moved on beyond my 555’s, and, I just sold some gear….there’s a smoking hole in my pocket.

An open back design would be ok with my better half ambient sound-wise. I‘m considering both open and closed designs. I like tube sound. The hip hop I listen to sounds good as the bass sounds like, well, a real bass being played, rather than jeepster over emphasized. I mainly listen to rock, folk and jazz. I also don’t care for too much high frequency sizzle….I like the high frequencies to all be there in proper balance with the mids and lows. Digital glare is not my friend.

I’m not interested in blue tooth, as I’m thinking there’s not an advantage in sound, and I’m fine with wired.

It’s not clear to me if noise cancellation offers a sound quality advantage or disadvantage.

Thanks for hanging in so far. Send your suggestions and opinions my way. Tell me why what your suggesting I purchase is good for you and you think it will be good for me. Feel free to address any misconceptions you think I may have.

May 22, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 25
I just bought an Ollo S4X headphone, new for about $380. I'm happy with the sound - it has a quite neutral tuning,
and the comfort to me is very good (I don't wear glasses, though). Ollo audio offer a 30-day trial period from delivery date, and a 5 year limited warranty. I've tried more expensive headphones from Audeze, Sennheiser, Focal, Oppo, Hifiman, and Mr.Speakers, and feel the Ollo is a good value compared to those other brands. I'm not saying the Ollo is better than
the Audeze LCD-3 or Sennheiser HD800S - but for now I don't see any reason spending three times the cost of the Ollo
to get either of those. https://olloaudio.com/products/s4x-reference-headphones

May 22, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 25
Beyerdynamic DT880.

May 22, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 25
Check out the Sennheiser HD600, which will probably stay on your head for another 10 years:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/02...al-stereo-headphones?dfw_tracker=36058-028802
The HD600’s are definitely in the running. What surprised me a little bit was seeing how many were for sale in the market area of Head-Fi, which gave me pause. I thought I’d run this flag up the pole. My 555’s have definitely stood the test of time…..I do like the idea of brand loyalty (yeah, I know, old school). The 555’s sound has been pleasing for some time.

May 22, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 25
I just bought an Ollo S4X headphone, new for about $380. I'm happy with the sound - it has a quite neutral tuning,
and the comfort to me is very good (I don't wear glasses, though). Ollo audio offer a 30-day trial period from delivery date, and a 5 year limited warranty. I've tried more expensive headphones from Audeze, Sennheiser, Focal, Oppo, Hifiman, and Mr.Speakers, and feel the Ollo is a good value compared to those other brands. I'm not saying the Ollo is better than
the Audeze LCD-3 or Sennheiser HD800S - but for now I don't see any reason spending three times the cost of the Ollo
to get either of those. https://olloaudio.com/products/s4x-reference-headphones
Not heard of these. I’ll check them out. They sound like a good value. I’ve finally got the sound signature I prefer in the front part of the signal chain, which makes a neutral interpreter at the end a good thing. My experience has been feed ‘em well, and a good set of cans will reveal the details, sound stage etc.

May 23, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 25
These I’ve heard of, and thanks for the reminder. I’ll revisit them as a refresher. I don’t abuse my stuff but….care to comment about your opinion on their potential longevity?
They're pretty much bomb-proof.

May 23, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 25
HiFiman Sundara. It's an excellent open back planar that takes eq like a champ.
I’ve read that electrostatics require more power…think my Schiit Vali +2 can drive these? The Sundara is a 37 ohm phone, and at that resistance the Vali should be making max ~1300 mW (1.3 W). With the phones 94dB, seems like volume levels with more than 1W should be plenty (I think I’ve done my math correctly). Thoughts?

May 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #11 of 25
They're pretty much bomb-proof.
Excellent. Mining the the Beyerdynamic website revealed 3 different versions: the Edition, the Pro, and the Hz. Do you have a preference? Looks like at 250 ohm resistance for these phones, my Vali would make ~500mW. Opinion on driving capability match with my amp?

May 23, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 25
Not heard of these. I’ll check them out. They sound like a good value. I’ve finally got the sound signature I prefer in the front part of the signal chain, which makes a neutral interpreter at the end a good thing. My experience has been feed ‘em well, and a good set of cans will reveal the details, sound stage etc.
Interesting website. I think they know their audience. Back in the old days I used to believe that there were reference standard products, then everything else. Cans are like any other piece of gear: they have an engineering sound target. Ollo explained their thought process convincingly.

May 23, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 25
The HD600’s are definitely in the running. What surprised me a little bit was seeing how many were for sale in the market area of Head-Fi, which gave me pause. I thought I’d run this flag up the pole. My 555’s have definitely stood the test of time…..I do like the idea of brand loyalty (yeah, I know, old school). The 555’s sound has been pleasing for some time.

Don’t forget to check US Audio Mart, Audiogon, and Craigslist, too. :wink:

May 24, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 25
I’ve read that electrostatics require more power…think my Schiit Vali +2 can drive these? The Sundara is a 37 ohm phone, and at that resistance the Vali should be making max ~1300 mW (1.3 W). With the phones 94dB, seems like volume levels with more than 1W should be plenty (I think I’ve done my math correctly). Thoughts?
They're planars, not electrostats, and yes, your amp will be plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back