Help please. Haven’t bought new cans in years: <$400, over ear, wired, comfy w/eyeglasses
May 24, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #18 of 25
The first reply you received, the HD600. You can’t go wrong w/ this headphone. The main reason you see a few on sale in the used classifieds is probably because it’s now produced in Romania and Sennheiser have changed it’s original look to a plain one. Many HD600 owners didn’t like the original marble look. Personally I do. You may also consider the opposite factor which is, many audiophiles, like me, have owned the HD600 for many years and use it regularly. I haven’t been without an HD600 since 2003. The last thing you may want to consider is : [check out my signature]. Good luck w/ whichever headphone you choose. Hope it works out for you.

May 24, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #19 of 25
At least in part because I'm feeling contrary, look in to the Audio Technica ATH-R70X in addition to the HD6XX. To me they are "a HD6XX, but better." More comfortable (super light, with the "love it or hate it" wing headband), better soundstage, at least a little more bass. Largely neutral and revealing, great all-rounder. The HD6XX build is arguably better - the R70X is definitely "plastic-y" - but I don't treat them with kid gloves and have had zero issues a year+ in.

May 24, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 25
I’ve found NOS HD6XX for sale on EBay. It has been some time since the MassDrop, am I right? Should I be wary of buying something claimed to be NOS at this late of a date?

May 24, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 25
At least in part because I'm feeling contrary, look in to the Audio Technica ATH-R70X in addition to the HD6XX. To me they are "a HD6XX, but better." More comfortable (super light, with the "love it or hate it" wing headband), better soundstage, at least a little more bass. Largely neutral and revealing, great all-rounder. The HD6XX build is arguably better - the R70X is definitely "plastic-y" - but I don't treat them with kid gloves and have had zero issues a year+ in.
I’m open to any legitimate suggestions that seem to fit my preference profile. I personally wouldn’t know anything about contrariness. Or grouchiness, either for that matter:k701smile:

May 24, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 25
I’ve been unable to find these cans (Ollo S4X) for less than $480. Not sure if my shopping super powers are waning. Seemst there’s been a recent uptick in prices on a couple models mentioned in this thread. Pandemic effect?

May 24, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 25
I’ve found NOS HD6XX for sale on EBay. It has been some time since the MassDrop, am I right? Should I be wary of buying something claimed to be NOS at this late of a date?

HD6xx are still sold today. I would go with a NIB HD600 from full compass for $299, as I have heard both and still choose the HD600.

May 27, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #24 of 25
HD6xx are still sold today. I would go with a NIB HD600 from full compass for $299, as I have heard both and still choose the HD600.
Thanks for your input! I pulled the trigger on the HD600’s via full compass. Even tho there may be a wait of up to 1 month at this point in time, the savings of $70-$100 purchasing from FC over any other vendor I could find for new in box will be worth it. Delayed gratification is nothing new. I waited this long to get new cans. What’s a few more weeks? :L3000:

May 27, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #25 of 25
Thanks for your input! I pulled the trigger on the HD600’s via full compass. Even tho there may be a wait of up to 1 month at this point in time, the savings of $70-$100 purchasing from FC over any other vendor I could find for new in box will be worth it. Delayed gratification is nothing new. I waited this long to get new cans. What’s a few more weeks? :L3000:
I want to thank everyone that responded. I think this will be a very useful thread at least for the near future. I know recommendation threads are kind of a dime a dozen…..but you folks ROCK :dark_sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back