Help! My Beyerdynamic DT990/600 sound inbalanced and simply bad.
Mar 1, 2011 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gjohnst4

100+ Head-Fier
So,
I have owned a pair of DT990/600 for about 4 weeks now and have run into interesting differences with balance.

Out of my main source ( lossless cd rip >>>> X-fi Platinum line out >>>> Fio E5 >>> DT990) The left channel is slightly louder than the right, but the left is more dynamic by far. If I adjust the balance through software, I usually keep left at about 92, Right at 100. This set up does not sound bad, but is quieter than I would like with the 600ohm resistance.

Out of my receiver, the imbalance is significant. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR607. I have to crank the right channel sound almost 75% to achieve balance.

And finally out of my Bravo tube amp using a Sylvania 6922 ( X-fi Platinum >>> Bravo >>>> 990) I used my software again and needed a 75/100 mixture to achieve balance and the 990's sound quality takes a significant hit, especially in the Right channel. The right is less dynamic, and slightly distorted.

I know there is going to be varying synergy between headphones and amplifiers. To test each set up, I have been cross referencing with my Grado 325is and they sound wonderful from each. The grado's sound best following the Bravo amp, very dynamic.

Does this sound like a blown driver? Or a cabling issue? The best sound Quality has been from the Fio E5 (surprised me!), and the 990's don't sound bad, just quieter than I would like after such a tiny solid state amp.

Thanks for any input.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 6
What, DT990 out of the E5.... <_<

I myself TRIED that when I had the DT990/600 and laughed.

That is just WRONG.

In any case, your DT990/600 should be returned and replaced.

edit: Hmm, 4 weeks... I dunno...

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 6
They have over 200 hours easy. And the E5 was because My friend had my Bravo.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 6
Oh, I'm not hating. Before I got my E9, I was running the DT990/600 off my E7 with an E5 attached to boost the volume enough to my preference. It wasn't too bad, but I dunno how the E5 alone could drive them even just loud enough. Sure didn't for me, though I had a very weak source (my netbook doesn't have a line out, and the volume level is pathetic).

I'm sorry to hear it though, there's no way to return them for an exchange?

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm trying, but so far I'm getting resistance because of the 4 weeks. I have been waiting to get my Bravo back and that might have screwed me.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 6
Looks like you're gonna have to contact Beyerdynamic personally and tell them about the issue. I'm sure it will get sorted out. Were they bought new? Warranty should hopefully cover it, though you might have to pay a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back