HELP ME! Ultimate Ears 700 vs. Q-Jays vs. Superfi 5 pros vs. Atrio M5's
Jun 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Moonlapsev0818

New Head-Fier
So, i wouldn't quite yet label myself as an experienced audiofille, but i LOVE my music and i really want and appreciate quality. I've been putting up with bad earphones for too long now, and i finally have some extra cash and am excited to invest in some new ones, but im having trouble deciding what to invest in haha. 

I've been doing a lot of research and i've narrowed it down pretty much to 3 choices; Ultimate Ears 700, Jays Q-Jays, and UE's Superfi 5 pros.

I listen to everything from classical to metal so precision, clarity, as well as a good kick would be ideal. I love bass. Though wouldn't exactly consider myself a bass head, i do want it to have good presence. I don't need my brain to be rattled nor do i want it to overshadow any of the mids or highs, but i want it to be full enough to enjoy it. I've read a few things about both the UE's and the Q-Jays lacking bass, but i've also read a good amount that say they don't... i don't know if it's just bass heads saying they don't or what, but needless to say, i'm confused haha. I've ready great things about the Superfi 5 pros bass response and how they're more "fun" to listen to, but really bad things about the build as well as customer service (NOT a good combination, especially for the price o.O ). I've also heard they can be pretty uncomfortable and silly looking which is a turn of for me, i think. Anyway, I know that whatever i get here will definitely be an upgrade, but i just want the right one! 

Any opinions/experiences are welcome. Thanks! :D 

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I have a pair of Q-Jays, and like the size of them, and their sound, a lot.  However, check the warranties on all the ones you are considering and think about durability and longevity.  I received my Q-Jays about April 5, 2008.  The insulation on the cable to one of the earpieces has just cracked all the way around and the wires inside are now exposed.  I treat them pretty well, and don't consider them to have been used hard.  Q-Jays have a 2-year warranty, which I thought was pretty good but don't know how it compares with others.  I corresponded with the company via e-mail late last month and yes, I'm now outside the 2-year warranty, by, what, a month or so?  No offers of help from them because I'm barely out of warranty,or even suggestions for repairs, by them or by me- just an acknowledgement that I'm outisde the warranty.  So I don't think I'll be spending that amount on headphones again from them, at least, if the cabling only lasts 2 years. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, and that's why i'm so put off by Ultimate Ears. I've read that ever since they were taken over as it were by Logitech that their customer service has suffered severely and that even under warranty (which is only 1 year for the the Superfi's and the 700's) they might give you a hard time... and from all the issues with durability with the Superfi 5 Pro's i've read about even within that 1 year period, i'm about to cross them off my list. :/

Anyway, thanks for the input. :)

Anyone else? :)

May 22, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 8
I personally have the Future Sonic Atrio M5's with custom "SofterWare" sleeves that mount over the top of them. I use them every sunday at church on stage as i lead worship. My experience is this and i hope you find it helpful.

The first thing that i noticed when i put them in, is that the bass is so warm. It's crazy how one speaker could offer so much bass. i've listened to just about everthing through them, and the warm quality that i'v gotten from them is pretty nice. theres only two things that kinda suck about them to me...1. They feel cheep:frowning2: the plastic they are built with seems very cheep. they feel almost like i should have paid 15 dollers at walmart for them. the other thing that i dont like is the wires. they seem very thin and flimsy. I mean, i'v had mine for over a year and a half now, and have never had any issues with them at all. If your looking for a really flat sound, these are not it. to me, they sound like you have a subwoofer in your ears. My brother plays bass and he used to have to play with in ears. he always hated it. the day i let him put the atrios in and try them out, he flipped out. He really enjoyed them. so i guess it really depends on what your looking for in your sound....hope this was helpful....my rating on the atrios compared to everthing else i'v heard would be the highest, i like them better. granted i haven't tried really high end (Ultimate Ears UE-10, UE-11, or UE-18) ear monitors to make the comparison. But for the price, you cant go wrong with the atrios...........:)

May 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 8
I have the q-JAYS. They definitely have enough bass, its just the right amount for me. Highs can be a little bright for some, cutting it with an eq helps. The cabling is a little noisy and odd due to the split design. If comfort is your priority they are hard to beat. My average sized ears swallow them. I don’t even notice them while sleeping with them. I have better sounding iems but I hold on to the q-JAYS for their sound and superior comfort. If Jays can further improve their sound, get rid of the split cable, reduce microphonics and keep the same dimensions I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Edit: The q-JAYS sound very good out of the sound tailorable Cowon J3. Despite some shortcomings(none are perfect) I would still recommend them at this price point.

May 22, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 8
I wouldn't recommend the Super.fi 5 pros (I didn't even know they were still making them). They have the same housing as the Triple.fi 10, which is a nightmare to get properly fitted. The UE700 is supposed to be very good in terms of fit.

May I suggest the Westone 2?

May 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 8
I believe the UE 600s have taken the spot of the SuperFi 5. I'm not 100% sure what the differences are, but I believe the housings are different from the triplefi 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back