Help me pick my new IEM's!
Nov 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

1TMF

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

First, I would like to thank everyone for their reviews and input. I have been trolling a read a few threads - very helpful!

Here's my situation..

-looking to replace my vmoda bass freq's
--yes, they had muddy bass and lacked definition. I've been through two pairs, and time for an upgrade
-Music types: nearly all, but mainly hip hop, dubstep, rock, and even some classical.
-I enjoy bass, but would like clarity as well.
-I love music, and enjoy good sound reproduction.
--My over-ear headphones are Sennheiser HD 212 Pro's. In my opinion, they sound pretty good.
-My main use for my IEM is for travel - airports and on airplanes
--therefore sound isolation is important, yet not #1.
-these will not be used for my workouts. I'll stick to the cheapos to sweat in!
-I will likely not use an amp.
-Budget: less than $100 range...preferably $50-$70

Here are my top selections, in order of preference. This is based on the reviews that I've read, so let me know your thoughts:

1. Brainwavz M2 (ViSang R03)
-I like that they provide a lot of bass, have decent build quality, and reviews say they are comfortable

2. A-Jay's Three
-I like the style, idea of a tangle free cord, and decent bass. Downside: the fit can be questionable, especially for long periods of use. Also, noise feedback from the cord rubbing against clothes is a concern.

3. Klipsch S4's
-Good overall range, good CNet reviews, and they can be bought locally at BestBuy (and use my rewards certificates). Downside: cable quality seems poor, and can lack the mid-range notes

(4) MEELectronics M6
-This is the low cost alternative. I like the idea that they are relatively inexpensive, and have pretty comparable sound. If they are truly close to the sound quality of the above (and a fraction of the cost)...I may resort to these.

After reading Mark's review on the M2's, I'm pretty sold. I want to make sure that I'm not missing out on other decent options!

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 13
Bump for this guy! I am in a similar situation looking to buy something for my four international flights coming up in December. 

My main goal is noise-isolation, and my main question is whether I can compensate the poor isolation in some buds with new tips (mainly the comply foam tips). 

Any more input in this price range would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 13
I will recommend these IEMs and they offers great bass response with overall good clarity like HSA Crystal, Sony EX310, EX510, JVC FXC51, FXT1, Turbine, Turbine Pearl and Panasonic HJE900.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 13
I'll have to look more into the Sony's. I used to be a huge Sony fan and buy Sony everything...until I realized that with certain products, there were better alternatives. Thanks for the input!

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 13
Update - I started by ordering the M6's (cheap, and used Best Buy rewards certs). I plan on using these for working out and as a "base line" for comparison to others. Assuming the M6's are not
beyersmile.png
amazing....I'll probably pick up the M2's next.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 13
 I think you can't go wrong with the M6. I have the M6P and enjoy them very much. For $20 they are very clear, detailed and VERY comfortable and don't find them bass heavy at all. I would probably skip the S4 and M2, if you want bass go with Xears, 38 euros shipped. with the coupon.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 13
I liked my Visrangs they were detailed, pretty clean overall, not too expensive.  You can't go wrong for the M6 for $20 or less, they also make great exercise phones

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Just received my M6's today...

I've been using them for the last 15 minutes or so...and all I can say is: Wow!

For IEM's that cost me $16 USD...these are amazing. Sound great, fulfilling bass (not too overpowering or muddy), clear highs, cord seems to be tangle free, many tips and a nice carrying case. I've had over-ears before that were a pain to fit, but this are actually pretty easy for me to fit over my ears.

Only note...I got some static when touching near the plug. However, after working the plug a bit, all static is gone now...hopefully it doesn't return.

Pleased so far...verdict is out if I really need the M2's!

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Just received my M6's today...

I've been using them for the last 15 minutes or so...and all I can say is: Wow!

For IEM's that cost me $16 USD...these are amazing. Sound great, fulfilling bass (not too overpowering or muddy), clear highs, cord seems to be tangle free, many tips and a nice carrying case. I've had over-ears before that were a pain to fit, but this are actually pretty easy for me to fit over my ears.

Only note...I got some static when touching near the plug. However, after working the plug a bit, all static is gone now...hopefully it doesn't return.

Pleased so far...verdict is out if I really need the M2's!

They do sound great and the cord is nice too. I have had the Xears N3i before and I found the bass to be too boomy and intrusive while the M6P sound just about right.  for the $20 shipped that I paid for them I couldn't go wrong.

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 13
^^yep, the M6's seem to have bass when you want it, but not too overpowering. I actually just recommended them to my mother as well...M6p's were sold out, so she ordered the M9's.

I still might pick up the M2's though, because I do love the extra bass...

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm back...looking for my next set of IEM's, this time with a budget of around $200. I have pretty much the same priorities as my first post, although phone controls in addition would be nice. Sound isolation and bass are still important. Listening to more edm now days.

Some considerations:

RBH EP2: wire cutter votes them as the best but several here are critical of wire cutter. Suggest a good alternative and I'll check them out.

VSonic GR07- I like the idea oft eh bass emphasis and clarity and good sound stage. My concern is noise isolation on planes. Sounds like the dynamic drivers let in more outside noise, but I'm not sure how big of an issue that is.

Bose QC20: apparently these have some of the best noise canceling....but I have a hard time supporting bose's mediocre sound quality and hefty price tag.

Custom art music one: sound like a great custom set at a reasonable price. Not sure if they will have enough bass for my liking.

Any thoughts on these picks and/or other recommendations?

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 13
I'm adding the meeelectronics M161p as a top contender on my list as well. I'm really stuck between these, the gr07 bass edition, or stepping up to music ones. The gr07 seems to be the gold standard, but I'm worried about the noise isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back