Help me convince my friend to not get Dre Beats
May 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

jack95

100+ Head-Fier
So my friend has decided to buy Beats and I have been trying to persuade him to look at other headphones and that the Beats are overpriced and are not what he is looking for sound wise. Of course, he declines my offers and exclaims that the Beats are amazing. My plan is to have him try out my ATH-M50 and Sennheiser HD 25-II so that he can see what other options there are out there for half the price of Beats. He listens mostly to metal and some rap. It makes me mad that more and more people are going on the Beats bandwagon when they obviously do not know better. If you guys want to give some suggestions for me to tell him than a solid price range would probably be anything 300$ and below.

May 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 80
It's nice that you want the best for your friend, but I say just let him buy what he wants. Then, after he's got them, show him something that is clearer than those Beats. If he's interested, introduce him to some other cans such as the HFI 580s or the TMA-1s, which in my opinion do what the Beats do much better. With luck, he might reconsider his purchase and find a new set of cans that might make him happier. But you gotta keep in mind that he should do whatever he wants with his money. If he still thinks the Beats are better, then you should just leave him be.

May 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 80
Your friend will get mugged, or at least run a higher risk with the giant logo on the side (Monster Beat-up). 

Jokes aside, the build is, obviously, not on par with the price, I remember seeing quite a few complaints about squeaky hinges as well as sound leakage, both which probably apply to certain models. Talking about sound quality is probably pointless, as a few members have pointed out, the "average user" don't really know what to listen for, and will probably be set on the phones anyway, quite the opposite of "buyers remorse".

Of course, arguments depend on how this friend of yours is, if he enjoys paying a lot of money for "branded" clothes, he's probably difficult to talk out of it.

May 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 80
Show him these pics
cool.gif

May 12, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 80

Quote:
Your friend will get mugged, or at least run a higher risk with the giant logo on the side (Monster Beat-up). 

Jokes aside, the build is, obviously, not on par with the price, I remember seeing quite a few complaints about squeaky hinges as well as sound leakage, both which probably apply to certain models. Talking about sound quality is probably pointless, as a few members have pointed out, the "average user" don't really know what to listen for, and will probably be set on the phones anyway, quite the opposite of "buyers remorse".

Of course, arguments depend on how this friend of yours is, if he enjoys paying a lot of money for "branded" clothes, he's probably difficult to talk out of it.

I completely agree, it’s one thing to talk someone out of buying something but when their only reason their buying that item is due to brand popularity or brand loyalty it’s a uphill battle most can’t win.  Typically I always believe people buy sub-par items at premium prices because they simply don’t know any better, but with how the internet is today I almost want to say that that’s not a excuse anymore.

I’d tell him get the Allen and Heath XD-53, built like a tank, look nice but not overly blingy, and sound pretty good at it’s price point.

May 13, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 80
Take pictures of them on your manhood. Forever burn that image into his brain.

May 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #13 of 80

Quote:
Just let him buy what he wants. U should tell him ur opinion, but u also should support ur friend's preference.
smily_headphones1.gif

But if his friend's preference is made out of ignorance, why not try to improve it? Probably his friend has nver tried out a >50$ headphone, so maybe by showing him what he can get for 150$, which is still less than the Beats, will make him change his mind. It's not getting him to chose something else (although he probably will), it's more of letting him choose freely but knowing all the options.

May 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 80
For a 300 and below budget, I'd have him consider the Denon AH-D200 or  80ohm Beyer DT-770s.  I went with the Denons but the Beyers are pretty nice too.  Denon's MSRP is 350 but can be had for under 300 with a little searching.  Anyway, both of these are leagues better sounding than Beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back