Help me choose the best headphone for my laptop
Sep 1, 2011 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

th3hate

New Head-Fier

Hello.

I want a headphone for enjoying movies and music on my laptop. I'm on limited budget so i cannot afford buying an external amp or DAC.

I basically narrowed my choice to 4 headphones. Which one of them is going to sound good unamplified and is considered the best bang for the money?

Sennhesier HD428

Shure SE215-K

Shure SRH440-A

AKG Q460

Thank you.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 16
Hey there,
Which kind of music genres you like? are you open to more suggestions in your price range? 

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 16
Mostly rock, some hip-hop and pop as well. I listen to evanescence a lot.

I'm open to more suggestions but i can't guarantee i'll find them in stores around here because I'm not going to buy online.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 16
From the models listed, in my experience the Shure 440's are good rock performers. They can do well on different genres, they are pretty balanced. Don't expect too much bass from them.  

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
are you open to more suggestions in your price range?

Get the best one ($$) so you wont regret later when come to time upgrading.

-~`
                 -`~
-([$__$])-

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
From the models listed, in my experience the Shure 440's are good rock performers. They can do well on different genres, they are pretty balanced. Don't expect too much bass from them.  

Even if i use "bassy" EQ presets?

Quote:
hello where are you from ?
and what is your budget :wink: ? :D

I'm from Palestine (Israel if you prefer). They apply high taxes/customs on goods here so I'm gonna pay double for any headphone. My budget is around $100.

Quote:

Get the best one ($$) so you wont regret later when come to time upgrading.

Which one is the best in your opinion?

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 16
Sep 1, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 16
Hello there. 
What kind of integrated audio does your laptop have? This is quite important if we are to help you choose a headphone...

Also, you listed closed cans and one IEM. Is what you are looking for a closed full-size can?

Finally, is there no way to circumvent those taxes? How about buying second-hand or from an ebay seller abroad? Would taxes be applied to such a purchase as well?

Finally, out of the headphones you listed, the Shure does indeed seem to be the best choice, however, it won't be satisfying to listen to hip-hop and other bass-heavy genres on it. 
Instead, you might consider the KRK Systems KNS 6400 or the Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. They both have far better extended bass and are otherwise quite linear headphones. They cost as much as the SRH440.

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Hello there. 
What kind of integrated audio does your laptop have? This is quite important if we are to help you choose a headphone...

Also, you listed closed cans and one IEM. Is what you are looking for a closed full-size can?

Finally, is there no way to circumvent those taxes? How about buying second-hand or from an ebay seller abroad? Would taxes be applied to such a purchase as well?

Finally, out of the headphones you listed, the Shure does indeed seem to be the best choice, however, it won't be satisfying to listen to hip-hop and other bass-heavy genres on it. 
Instead, you might consider the KRK Systems KNS 6400 or the Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones. They both have far better extended bass and are otherwise quite linear headphones. They cost as much as the SRH440.

I own HP Pavilion dv6-6190us which is marketed with Beats audio (if that matters). Integrated audio is IDT 92HD81B1X @ Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B-2] PCI

I read good reviews about Shure 215-K so i listed it as well.

Absolutely No way to circumvent the taxes. Sennheiser HD280 costs twice as much as SRH440  in stores around here, would you still recommend it?

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
No, I hate muddy and explosive bass. but i expect some bass response.

Would you recommend Shure 750DJ or SE215 over 440?

I dont have experience with the SE215's, but the 750Dj bass response is strong. The 440's are not bass weak IMO, they do deliver. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 16
No, the KRK would be a better buy...
Actually, the Shure is a great headphone, it just doesn't have as much bass extension as the Sennheiser or the KRK... If you can live with that, go for the Shure.
Perhaps also consider the Sony MDR-7506. Since it is a professional can, you might be able to get it cheaper from an authorized Sony Pro reseller. I am sure broadcasters in Palestine use these headphones just like all other broadcasters around the world...

The integrated audio in your laptop should be fine to drive all of the headphones mentioned here, BTW.

Quote:
I own HP Pavilion dv6-6190us which is marketed with Beats audio (if that matters). Integrated audio is IDT 92HD81B1X @ Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B-2] PCI

I read good reviews about Shure 215-K so i listed it as well.

Absolutely No way to circumvent the taxes. Sennheiser HD280 costs twice as much as SRH440  in stores around here, would you still recommend it?

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
No, the KRK would be a better buy...
Actually, the Shure is a great headphone, it just doesn't have as much bass extension as the Sennheiser or the KRK... If you can live with that, go for the Shure.
Perhaps also consider the Sony MDR-7506. Since it is a professional can, you might be able to get it cheaper from an authorized Sony Pro reseller. I am sure broadcasters in Palestine use these headphones just like all other broadcasters around the world...

The integrated audio in your laptop should be fine to drive all of the headphones mentioned here, BTW.

Thanks for your response. Right now I'm (sadly) limited to what stores have in stock around here.

So It's either SHR-440 or 750DJ. I personally think 750DJ will sound better unamped but i'm not sure.

btw how do you know if integrated audio is good enough to drive a specific headphone?

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

So It's either SHR-440 or 750DJ. I personally think 750DJ will sound better unamped but i'm not sure.

btw how do you know if integrated audio is good enough to drive a specific headphone?

Its headphone impedance, both are rated at low impedances.  

Both are easy to drive. (in this case)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back