Help me choose my first legit headphones <3
Aug 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

supbrowawawa

Head-Fier
So i've been on the market for a pair of decent headphones (on a budget).

After hours of research and recommendations, these 3 headphones seem to come up the most.

JVC rx700 (People seem to choose these over the rx900 but I don't really understand why..)

SAMSON sr850

Sennheiser HD428

As for what these will be used for, 60% music 40% gaming.

My taste in music is pretty diverse, but for the majority of the time, I usually listen to electro, dubstep, trance, house, alternative, indie, power pop, pop punk, and hip-hop.

One of these will be used with a ASUS XONAR DG. I haven't bought it yet so if you have any other sound card recommendations it would be greatly noted, although from the reviews, it seems like this is the best sound card for the buck.

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 13
The HARX700 are amazing. I think the reason why people buy them more often than the HARX900 is only because the 700s are about $30, whereas the 900s around about $60, and the 900s aren't really twice as good. They're still better though.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 13
I suppose you're something of a basshead then. I think you should take a look at the headphone guide for bassheads somewhere in this forum, it's pretty useful. Otherwise, I can't really help all that much since I haven't demoed most of these headphones. Around here, the only demoed headphones are rubbish like Beats and Bose.

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 13
Why did I even bother posting a reply if you're going to have an unappreciative attitude? Do you think that will make tons of other members want to reply to you?

Quote:
I see the people on this forum don't really like to help others out..

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 13
It would help knowing exactly what your budget is. Looking at your selection of headphones, I'm guessing your budget is under $100. The CAL (Creative Aurvana Live) might just fit the bill. They are rebranded Denon D1001 apparently. If you are feeling adventurous, buy the Fostex T50RP and mod them? There is a modded version of the T50RP called thunderpants by a head-fi'er called smeggy being sold for around $400. Heres a link to how to make your own modded T50RP:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/8805#post_5464735

http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants/540#post_6898179

The actual thunderpants are a work of art, heres a link to them:

http://home.comcast.net/~garybutcher/Thunderpants_TP1/Gallery.html#16

Edit: Actually, forget about the T50RP and its modded variations, I forgot that they need an amp

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 13
Hey op, no need to get impatient here. We know that you want your headphones soon. 

Now, on topic. The RX700's is a good choice, among the headphones mentioned. They have a nice soundstage if you make the foam mod. Pretty good for the music genres you like. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 13
+1 on the RX700's. Great for the money.

Also, that sound card isn't horrible, but I would highly recommend you save and get a decent external DAC/amp soon, Fiio E7's are under $100 now. You actually might be better off just getting an E5 and running it to your default sound card, but I'll let others decide that.

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 13
For people in this forum, most do not usually deal with headphones in your price range.
If you were looking in the $100-$250 range, you would get a lot more opinions.
And I would go for the RX700s, As my HA-RX900 seemed nice bang for the buck cans.
Right now I'm on a Superlux HD-668B kick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back