Help me choose headphones for rock/metal
Jan 10, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #16 of 23
I'm a drummer who listens mostly to extreme metal and love my HD25-1 II. I have a couple of headphones that are about twice as expensive but the HD25-1 II stays may favourite for metal. Great isolation too so perfect for drumming to a track without having to crank up the volume like crazy to hear it over the blastbeats. :) 

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #17 of 23
Thanks for the info. The hd25's are a little out of my budget where as the akg 271's are 125 at min. So it sounds like the akg's sound like the fit for me and I'll just play music from my Bose sound dock while I drum. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #18 of 23
Thanks for the info. The hd25's are a little out of my budget where as the akg 271's are 125 at min. So it sounds like the akg's sound like the fit for me and I'll just play music from my Bose sound dock while I drum. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 23

Quote:
No, get the M50 instead. It has more bass impact compare to AKG.

The M50 is no longer a great value. They were at $120, but most prices are around $150 or above now. There's better you can get in the price range.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
Even with your typical closed headphone, you'll get nowhere near the amount of isolation you need for playing drums. You'll still have to turn the volume up to an unhealthy level, plus the fact that your ears aren't protected against the drums themselves. You really shouldn't be playing drums with anything that doesn't isolate at least as much as a pair of earplugs.

Couldn't someone use musician's earplugs with a relatively flat frequency response like the ones by Etymotic(ER20) while they are playing drums? I wonder how these would work under headphones? I guess it depends how much they stick out, and how much room there is in the headphone.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
Couldn't someone use musician's earplugs with a relatively flat frequency response like the ones by Etymotic(ER20) while they are playing drums? I wonder how these would work under headphones? I guess it depends how much they stick out, and how much room there is in the headphone.

Yeah, I've tried that before, and the earplugs didn't fit inside any of the headphones I tried at the time, all of which were circumaural. Also it's kind of hard to get a decent amount of volume that way. At least, trying it on the headphone amps of various pieces of studio gear, I had to turn the volume to max and it still wasn't quite good enough. At that point I was more worried about damaging the headphones. Obviously the fit issue completely depends on the earplugs and the depth of the cups, so it's kind of a moot point, but still it seems like an inelegant solution. At that point why not just get some IEMs?

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #23 of 23
Yeah, I've tried that before, and the earplugs didn't fit inside any of the headphones I tried at the time, all of which were circumaural. Also it's kind of hard to get a decent amount of volume that way. At least, trying it on the headphone amps of various pieces of studio gear, I had to turn the volume to max and it still wasn't quite good enough. At that point I was more worried about damaging the headphones. Obviously the fit issue completely depends on the earplugs and the depth of the cups, so it's kind of a moot point, but still it seems like an inelegant solution. At that point why not just get some IEMs?

I am able to wear my Ety HF5 under my shure srh940 just fine :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back