Help me choose headphones for rock/metal
Jan 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

PomPWNius

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. My friend has had some Bose Triports for a while now. He wants new headphones. He listens to only rock/metal and has a budget of $150. Open/closed doesn't matter, circumaural/supraural doesn't matter, although he prefers circumaural. Which do you think would be the best for him?

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 23
Save a bit more and get the HD-25 I II. Cant go wrong with them. 

Or maybe some Grado's. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 23
I've found most of the good metal phones are supraural. I've tried probably about half the big headphone brands around and I keep coming back to my portable AKGs. And I have the longing to return to Grado and try out one of their higher end models.
Have him try out the Grado SR-60i, most people like it more than the other Grados under the 225i. I bought the SR80i before I knew of head-fi, its my second favorite headphone out of the ones that I've gotten a chance to hear.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 23
They dont sound bad at all. 

Grados also have modding potential, thats why i got the SR60's. Thinking on magnum drivers on the future. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 23
I'm his friend, and I am liking the sound of the Sennheisers. Also, I am big on comfort, and I would use my headphones for drumming, and also I would like if they have a high re-sale value. Thanks

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 23
Drumming screws up a lot, especially with open cans. The Grado SR60i or SR80i is definitely the best value out there in rock and is very comfortable, but will not work with drumming.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
I'm his friend, and I am liking the sound of the Sennheisers. Also, I am big on comfort, and I would use my headphones for drumming, and also I would like if they have a high re-sale value. Thanks

Definitely need a closed back studio monitor.

Shure 440/840/940  |  Sony V6 or ZX700  | Audio-Technica M50  | Sennheiser HD25 etc

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Why closed for drumming?

For whatever he's listening to on the headphones (be it the other instruments) etc.

Open backed headphones you will will get less isolation and you won't be able to hear the headphones properly and he may turn up the volume and possibly damage his hearing.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
For whatever he's listening to on the headphones (be it the other instruments) etc.

Open backed headphones you will will get less isolation and you won't be able to hear the headphones properly and he may turn up the volume and possibly damage his hearing.

I'm looking at the AKG K271 MKII's right now. Apparently, they're similar to the AKG K240's but are closed back. I looked at the audio technica and I read somthing that said that the cuffs were small and your ear was pushed up against them, and it made them uncomfortable to wear. The Sennheiser HD25's look nice. Which one out of those should I choose?

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
I'm looking at the AKG K271 MKII's right now. Apparently, they're similar to the AKG K240's but are closed back. I looked at the audio technica and I read somthing that said that the cuffs were small and your ear was pushed up against them, and it made them uncomfortable to wear. The Sennheiser HD25's look nice. Which one out of those should I choose?

Haven't tried the AKG. The M50 doesn't have much space inside them, so I'm guessing people with large ears will touch the inside (this should be the same for most studio monitors). If you don't want over-ear the Sennheiser seems to be the best choice and not to mention you said you prefer them earlier. I think they might have decent resale value as they're often used by DJ's. Also it is a split head band, so if you have long hair like me, they don't give you headphone hair.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 23
Even with your typical closed headphone, you'll get nowhere near the amount of isolation you need for playing drums. You'll still have to turn the volume up to an unhealthy level, plus the fact that your ears aren't protected against the drums themselves. You really shouldn't be playing drums with anything that doesn't isolate at least as much as a pair of earplugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back