Help from the Ultrasone Crowd and other informed head fiers!
Sep 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dmort

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, going to buy my first pair of good headphones!!! (Triports don't count. Obviously. Stupid Bose.)

I own px100s, px200 II's (dissapointing), HD238s, and a pair of gaming headphones made by steel series. I also used to own a pair of etymotic hf5s (cats chewed them up!). Out and about I use an ipod 3g, although I'm planning on upgrading to a classic 160 gb. At home, I run my audio from an imac through an alesis io14 via firewire 400. The io14 is a pretty solid audio interface with a good DAC and headphone amp. My px100s and my brother's porta pros sound seriously amazing through that thing!

I listen to jazz, jazz fusion and prog rock, classic rock, techno bands like daftpunk, underworld, and justice, plus others. I listen to a wide range, everything but country basically!

I also want to be able to use these headphones plugged into a roland microcube guitar amplifier, so I can practice guitar silently.

I've settled on ultrasound because I'd like closed headphones for use while my wife watches tv. Also I've heard that Ultrasounds have a similar dark character to Sennheiser. I'm intrigued by the s-logic and ULE technology, gimmick or not. Also they look sweet!

I'm trying to decide between the Hfi 580, 680, 780, the pro 650s, and the DJ1 pros. Obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible amongst these choices, but I'm willing to spend more to get a product I'll be happy with. I guess my budget is about $150 to $225.

My inclination is to go with the 780s as their lower impedence means (I think!!) that my current crappy ipod will drive them more easily. And I've read that the 580s are very good, but the 780s are just a bit better in every way! However, the pro 650s are very affordable on amazon. Plus I think they have the right look, only a little blingy! I'm worried about their higher impedence and the fact that they only have 1/4" or 6.3mm output. Can one replace that cable easily?? The pro 650s also seem like a good choice for guitar practice. Whats the deal with the 680? I don't read that much about it and it is a bit more expensive than the pro 650s. Finally, The DJ1 pro looks like a nice balance between a lot of things, but again, it seems like there isn't as much info out there.

From reading on the Ultrasound website, it is very similar to tell the difference between these headphones. Each product page just describes s-logic, ULE, and the like.

Finally, would I be better off buying a less expensive pair of headphones like the 580s and then also purchasing a fireye I amp for mobile listening? Or would it be better to get the better 780s and pair them up with my eventual ipod classic 160 gb purchase? 

Thank you head fi gods!

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 17
Well, let's say that these were only going to be driven from your DAP (no amp), I would go with the HFI-780.  Now, the price for the PRO-650s from Amazon atm (166.00) is very good, however, the 650s benefit from an amp and you will not get their true potential without one.

Quick breakdown:

HFI-580- more bass than the 680s and less refined.  Fun set of cans, though. (32ohm)
HFI-680- very balanced throughout the whole spectrum and less bass than both 580 & 780. (75ohm)
HFI-780- highs and lows more pronounced than 580 & 680 and easy to drive. (35ohm)

In reference to the 1/4", they come with a 1/8" adapter, however it is a bit large and will put a lot of pressure on your headphone jack.  The PRO Series come with two cables- one coiled, one straight.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 17
The HFI series will also be slightly more portable than the Pro series as the HFIs have smaller cups. Also, IMO the 780s sound fatiguing stock. They need a recable and cup dampening to sound their best.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 17
I've decided that I'm going to go with the 780s. Now, are there other headphones I should consider instead of these? Keep in mind that the 780s are low impedance headphones that run about $220. Are there other models of similar impedance and price to these Ultrasones? I know that headphone sound is very subjective, but keeping in mind that I enjoy other sennheiser headphones, but are there other models I should consider? What about stuff made by sennhesier?

Also, I think it is pretty much a given that I am going to buy either a fireye I headphone amp or the nuforce icon mobile. I want one. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 17
Ultrasone headphones do not sound like Sennheiser. FWIR, I suggest considering the HD25-1 II instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmort

I listen to jazz, jazz fusion and prog rock, classic rock, techno bands like daftpunk, underworld, and justice, plus others. I listen to a wide range, everything but country basically!

I also want to be able to use these headphones plugged into a roland microcube guitar amplifier, so I can practice guitar silently.

I've settled on ultrasound because I'd like closed headphones for use while my wife watches tv. Also I've heard that Ultrasounds have a similar dark character to Sennheiser. I'm intrigued by the s-logic and ULE technology, gimmick or not.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
I've decided that I'm going to go with the 780s. Now, are there other headphones I should consider instead of these? Keep in mind that the 780s are low impedance headphones that run about $220. Are there other models of similar impedance and price to these Ultrasones? I know that headphone sound is very subjective, but keeping in mind that I enjoy other sennheiser headphones, but are there other models I should consider? What about stuff made by sennhesier?

Also, I think it is pretty much a given that I am going to buy either a fireye I headphone amp or the nuforce icon mobile. I want one. 

Out of all the Ultrasones, the 780s sound the least like Sennheisers, so I don't know if you'd be happy with them. They're good headphones but I honestly would not pay over $180 shipped for them. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Ok - well I'll keep your price rec on the hfi 780 in mind.

The Sennheiser HD 25 ii are $199.00. Now I was able to try out the HD380's (also $199.00) recently with my ipod nano 3g and I actually rather liked them! I was suprised at how good my ipod was able to sound. 

Also, there are the newer HD448s, totally different price point, I know. Does anyone know about them?

If the Ultrasones don't sound like sennheisers, can anyone describe what they do sound like? 

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:

If the Ultrasones don't sound like sennheisers, can anyone describe what they do sound like? 

Like nothing you've heard before...lol

Ultrasone motto- You either love them or hate them.  That has been the case and it never changes.  It will all be relative with the music you listen to, how they are driven and the burn-in process.  Once you get those birds in a row and like the sound, you'll be hooked.  OR you'll hate them and never listen to them again.

I think it's great actually that they have a love-hate thing going on.  I personally love them...
beerchug.gif

3 votes for the 780s....Nice......

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 17
I vote for the 580 myself.  I can't see needing more highs or lows than the 580 and sacrificing the mids on the 580s which are damn near flat if that matters.  On the notion of the 580s bass, bear in mind it isnt just more bass, it is some high quality, detailed and textured bass.  Fantastic bass!  They are monitors for drummers and bass guitarists.  I also like the 50mm driver.  Plus I've seen the 780 for $150-$160.  Picked up my 580s for $130 shipped 100% genuine.  I never find the 580 fatiguing like some do w/ the 780.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 17
At the time I compared the HFI 780 with the 580, I didn't even know that the 780 were highly revered on Head-fi. I flat out thought the HFI 580 were more fun to listen to. It's not laid back like a lot of Sennheisers that I have heard though. Very fun impactful bass. Not a smooth sound.

The HFI 780 may give you a more neutral sound than the 580, but they can never achieve the level of bass impact that the 580s can.

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 17
If you're looking for dark, don't bother with the HFI 780's. They are ridiculously bright and sibilant. Too late for that though, but I'm just saying.
Also, they do have incredible bass, but you'll need some proper amping to get to it - driving them straight off a portable DAP never got me my delicious rumbling.

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 17
You guys are being very helpful, thanks!!

It seems like I will probably go with a pair of 580s. A cheaper introduction to ultrasone and as I'm not using these as reference speakers, I don't mind a bit of bass. I'll probably enjoy it! And the description that the 780s are overly bright isn't to my liking.

So, I'll ask the same question again tho. Understanding that Ultrasone is kind of their own thing, are there other closed headphones in the same price range as the 580s, with similar impedance values, that I should be considering? What about the AKG 271 mk ii? What about anything from sennheiser? 

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 17
Hm, that's tough. I suppose a standard recommendation is the Audio-technica ATH-M50. Closed and certainly cheaper than the HFI-580's. They sound great for the price, though they don't have much of a soundstage. Not very well-versed in AKG's or in other models of Sennheiser though - more of an open headphone guy myself.

Edit: Oh, perhaps Denon D-2000s would be good. They have a fun characteristic, are closed, and are around 200+ USD.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 17
What about the Audio Technica 700s? Those seem very affordable? I'm watching some 580s on ebay right now, maybe I'll find a pair in my price range! Oh, and I'm definately going to get a fiio e7

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
What about the Audio Technica 700s? Those seem very affordable? I'm watching some 580s on ebay right now, maybe I'll find a pair in my price range! Oh, and I'm definately going to get a fiio e7

Oh well, if you go with ATs than you will have to change the title of the thread...lol...

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back