help for headphones around 100$
Nov 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hailtheking

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I do not know much about headphones and I have been listening to a 5$ headphones till now and I want to upgrade to a decent pair of headphones

My budget is around 100$, and I can stretch to at max 115$ if the phones are too good.

I use them mostly at home to watch movies and at office to listen to music with my dell laptop with the onboard sound card and no amp. I would like sth with decent build quality as I would carry it around with me in my laptop bag.

I want the sound to be clear,neat with no harshness at low,mid or highs at all.Decent and neat bass is enough.Actually I have very minimum knowledge about sound related things like highs, soundstage etc.They do not need to sound big but clarity is important.

My present shortlist: audio technica ath m50
Grado sr80i
alessandro ms 1
Audio Technica ath ad700
Sennheiser hd 448,555

Right now I am inclining towards ath m50 because of reviews I read on many sites.

Actually I stay in India, and one of my friends is coming from US to India in early December and will get these for me.

Any suggestions hugely are welcome.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 12
considering the price of 428 and as I can pay almost double that, can u suggest something better? As I have said, I have minimum knowledge about sound of headphones, I want one that is good for movies and music across many genres.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks alot for the response. Based on your suggestions and some reading I have done , I have changed my shortlist to

Audio Technica ath m50(not able to get this off of my list, a little more bass is fine with me)

M-Audio Q40

Shure srh840(though out of my price range, I am willing to spend a little more than my limit if my friend can find a good deal somewhere for around 125$)

and on your suggestion sennheiser hd 448.

If I can get a deal on the Shure srh 840 , I am going to get those.
Otherwise what do you suggest out of the other three, right now I am leaning towards Q40.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 12

I recently had the Q40 - didn't like it. Has an up front sound similar to the SE-M390 - which I recently owned. I haven't much considered the SRH440 - maybe it could work for you. But FWIR the HD448 seems to be the sound you described earlier. Headroom rates it highly - but it's not popular on HeadFi. There are ways to attenuate the bass of the M50 - which doesn't mean the bass would tighten up. But you "may" enjoy it nonetheless. I sooner would go for the SRH750DJ and equalize the bass to taste. 
Quote:
I will consider them, what about the q40. I don't want to use any amp, just with my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back