Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use
Jan 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #31 of 40
One super comfortable headphone that often gets overlooked here: AKG K240. Clamping force is almost nil and there is no headband pressure at all either.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
One super comfortable headphone that often gets overlooked here: AKG K240. Clamping force is almost nil and there is no headband pressure at all either.

Hmm hadn't looked into the K240s. They look quite nice. What do they sound similar to?

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #34 of 40
The Sennheiser HD555 I ended up getting have been quite excellent! They're very comfortable. I always feel them a little on my head as they have a good bit of clamping force, but they don't touch my ears almost at all. The shape is quite nice, it envelops my ear as it's more rectangular than circular. So at the end of the day, they feel pretty much the same on my head and my ears are very happy. They breathe more than I expected as well. The material is soft and comfortable, though nothing will really compare to velour. Overall I'm quite happy.

Sound quality is pretty good. Balanced overall. Good amount of bass, could use a touch more highs. The soundstage is pretty wide but not overly wide either. I have not yet done the 595 mod and have been running them mostly off of my onboard Realtek. They definitely benefit from going through my Mini^3 and E-MU 0404. Instant increase in clarity, resounding bass difference and well just about everything really. They're not quite as clear as the DT 990s but their clarity is what you would demand from $150 headphones. For metal and dubstep I'm happy with the sound especially since they don't need an amp to sound decent.

I plan to do the foam mod and then possibly remove the inner grill as well to up their sq further.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #35 of 40
Ah shoot. I don't think the HD 555 is comfy at all. I wear them and after some time my ears really get to aching. I've adjusted them over and over and I've never found a perfect spot.

I'm a little more sensitive maybe..?

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #36 of 40

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD555 I ended up getting have been quite excellent! They're very comfortable. I always feel them a little on my head as they have a good bit of clamping force, but they don't touch my ears almost at all. The shape is quite nice, it envelops my ear as it's more rectangular than circular. So at the end of the day, they feel pretty much the same on my head and my ears are very happy. They breathe more than I expected as well. The material is soft and comfortable, though nothing will really compare to velour. Overall I'm quite happy.

Sound quality is pretty good. Balanced overall. Good amount of bass, could use a touch more highs. The soundstage is pretty wide but not overly wide either. I have not yet done the 595 mod and have been running them mostly off of my onboard Realtek. They definitely benefit from going through my Mini^3 and E-MU 0404. Instant increase in clarity, resounding bass difference and well just about everything really. They're not quite as clear as the DT 990s but their clarity is what you would demand from $150 headphones. For metal and dubstep I'm happy with the sound especially since they don't need an amp to sound decent.

I plan to do the foam mod and then possibly remove the inner grill as well to up their sq further.

glad to hear you liked them.
beerchug.gif
but $150? I thought they were cheaper than that now.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #37 of 40
They're currently $170 on Amazon.

Quote:
Ah shoot. I don't think the HD 555 is comfy at all. I wear them and after some time my ears really get to aching. I've adjusted them over and over and I've never found a perfect spot.

I'm a little more sensitive maybe..?

Interesting, do you feel them pressing your ears a lot?

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #40 of 40
Sounds like your head/ears are on the larger side. I have been using my HD555s for 8 hours a day and have not had a single hour of my ears hurting or head hurting. They barely touch my ears at all and only 1-2" of the headband touches the top of my head. I'm not short/small either, 5'11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back