Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use
Jan 15, 2012 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Deathwish238

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for new headphones focusing on comfort preferably closer to $100($200 absolute max). I'm currently using the BeyerDynamic DT990. I wear them most days for at least 10 hours. The DT990s are very comfortable, but towards the end of the day their weight(close to 300g) is noticeable and takes its toll on my ears.

I've tried the Creative Aurvanas recently. They sounded pretty good, they were much lighter(close to 200g) but they were on ear and their clamping force was just too much. I used them for a good week or so and my ears just weren't happy with pressure being put on them. My head is a bigger than medium, but not huge and I do wear glasses too. I'm not opposed to trying another on ear set, but the clamping force cannot be very high. Chances are I'll have better luck with over the ear headphones.

I do have music going for at least 7 of those 10 hours everyday and I listen mostly to metal...but I realize sq may have to be sacrificed in order to get the comfort I need. My favorite things in sound quality are clarity and then good bass.

So my priorities:
1. Comfort, Weight
2. Sound Quality for Rock/Metal
3. Closer to $100 unless it's justified
4. Preferably no amp needed

Any suggestions? Presently I'm considering the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Sony XB500 and XB700 and Sennheiser HD25-1 SPII

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 40
Surely someone else uses a pair of headphones for a long period of time daily....

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 40
The memory foam pads of the KRK 8400's are said to be quite comfortable, but they may be too bright for you.  Their weight is 230g. 

And I think you've got everyone rocking back on their heels trying to think of a more comfortable set than those Beyers. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 40
HD598 in your price range, very comfortable, but sincerely, i never use them more than 3 or 4h,lol. You can remove HD25 imo.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 40
I have hd595 which is very similar to hd598 aesthetically. Very comfortable. Light and nice big well shaped velour pads. I almost forget they are on. However to my ears they have a mid centered sound and are sonically not everybody's preference including mine.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 40
I appreciate the replies!

Quote:
The memory foam pads of the KRK 8400's are said to be quite comfortable, but they may be too bright for you.  Their weight is 230g. 

And I think you've got everyone rocking back on their heels trying to think of a more comfortable set than those Beyers. 

Too bright? Can you tell me more about the KRK 8400's sound? I listened to the SR80i a lot and the DT990 are known to be on the brighter side...

Don't get me wrong. The Beyers are definitely comfortable and the most comfortable headphone I've ever used. The velour especially feels so nice on your head. However, after 6 hours or so my ears are physically hurting.

Quote:
How about the ath-m50? They are quite comfy from my experience. 

I have been looking at them a lot recently. I like how durable they appear and look like they're a classic DJ headphone.

How well do you think they'ld work for faster rock?

Quote:
HD598 in your price range, very comfortable, but sincerely, i never use them more than 3 or 4h,lol. You can remove HD25 imo.

The HD598 look like they're closer to $250 unfortunately.

Why do you say remove the HD25? Do they make your ears hurt after extended use?

Quote:
I have hd595 which is very similar to hd598 aesthetically. Very comfortable. Light and nice big well shaped velour pads. I almost forget they are on. However to my ears they have a mid centered sound and are sonically not everybody's preference including mine.

I haven't considered the HD595 much because as you said...they tend not to have the best sound signature. I'll look into them more though, it's been a while.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 40
If you have the patience to watch prices, the Creative Aurvana Live! is a good headphone for a <$100 ones. I got mine for $80 but there are some reports here (somewhat frequently) that they go down as low as $60. They work pretty well for rock, although clarity is a little bit short. Bass is okay, but can be controlled more with a few reversible mods. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I can't comment on any other headphones as the CAL! are my first.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 40
HD555 with foam mod. light ,comfy and quite good sq

i remember using this for marathon watching movie for like 8 hours straight >_<

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 40
I can't wear the 8400 for more than 3 hours,the middle of the headband becomes annoying.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 40

Yes, they do work well with fast rock.
You can get the HD598 for $180 from some retailers I believe, but their bass is not quick enough for fast rock.
I don't know why Rey told you to pass on the HD25. It matches your requirement quite well IMO. Quick bass, very comfort, nice SQ, and superb isolation as well. But I think the $199 price tag might make you consider.
Quote:
I appreciate the replies!

Too bright? Can you tell me more about the KRK 8400's sound? I listened to the SR80i a lot and the DT990 are known to be on the brighter side...

Don't get me wrong. The Beyers are definitely comfortable and the most comfortable headphone I've ever used. The velour especially feels so nice on your head. However, after 6 hours or so my ears are physically hurting.

I have been looking at them a lot recently. I like how durable they appear and look like they're a classic DJ headphone.

How well do you think they'ld work for faster rock?

I haven't considered the HD595 much because as you said...they tend not to have the best sound signature. I'll look into them more though, it's been a while.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 40

Quote:

For the moment, but the HD598 is regularly under 200$.

The HD25 is a very good headphone, but i couldn't bear more than 1 hour. I have delicate ears and i don't support very well supra-aural headphones with a strong clamping force.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 40
Denon D2000. Heh, just got them, holy crap are they comfy.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #15 of 40

Quote:
What about the sony mdr-xb series? (500+)
Those are basically giant doughnut cushions with a driver in the middle.

Not a bad choice either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back