Help convince me to return my beats!
Jun 19, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 27
Yo, I got this:

You are paying a large sum for headphones that look "good" and sound absolutely awful for their asking price. Are you looking for a (imo poor) fashion statement, or incredible sound quality? If it is the former, I suggest a hat. If it is the latter, you have a gigantic selection of far superior sounding headphones to choose from.

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #17 of 27
1. he said in the op that he researched after he bought the beats. 
2. are you saying that the m50s are the best headphone? if so that's completely wrong. 
3. in my opinion the hd25 would be a better option that the m50s, it's more portable, has good bass, and the adidas version looks pretty cool. how could he go wrong?

Quote:
It seems he did his research, and somehow picked Beats. When you go to HeadFi, yes you can find a good looking pair of headphones but when you do, the sound quality lack. Or the build quality, or anything. I'm not freaking out on the guy, bro, but when your trying to buy something you will never see when in use It kinda feels that you didn't pay enough for them.

He asked to convince him otherwise, not give him more choices. The worst thing is when someone gives you a new trail to follow.

To Z-Peppo
:

If you want a pair of headphones that look good, go for anything you'd find that would look good. If it be Grado, Senn, Koss or (oh god) Stax 

If you want headphones for what they are made to used for, to listen to, Get the ATH-M50's. This is because your music preference and use of them will fit well with the headphones. Phiatons are more for Classical/Jazz/Rock music. They are very light on Bass and won't give you the sound your looking for. If you can't find the sound you want, You're better off keeping you Beats.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #18 of 27
Now that I'm off my /rant horse about the beats...

I did try the Phaitons at BB sometime back.  Although I didn't do any A/B testing since they didn't have the M50's there I will say that IMHO the MS400's didn't have as much bass as the M50's *however* that can be fixed with a decent portable amp.   Also, as others have said the M50's aren't even nearly as portable and I found the MS400's to be very much so.  They also get some points on the style point, much more IMHO than the stock HD25's although the Adidas version looks pretty sweet.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
Dude trust me, the m50's are far away from being bassheavy, I'm a basshead and the m50's just totally bored me out.

I found them to be obnoxiously bassy. If my T50RP are mid crazy, I find the M50's to be crazy with bass. What kind of headphones are you listening to?

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
Now that I'm off my /rant horse about the beats...

I did try the Phaitons at BB sometime back.  Although I didn't do any A/B testing since they didn't have the M50's there I will say that IMHO the MS400's didn't have as much bass as the M50's *however* that can be fixed with a decent portable amp.   Also, as others have said the M50's aren't even nearly as portable and I found the MS400's to be very much so.  They also get some points on the style point, much more IMHO than the stock HD25's although the Adidas version looks pretty sweet.

That is true, the Senn HD25-ii are sexy little beasts. Unless you don't like that modern fashion sense. Personally, I find that SQ is the best factor in looks. I don't care if my headphones went through the garden and dropped on my head, as long as they sound better then anything out there, they are perfect to me. 

It's like having a kid:

Would you rather have a kid who's good at sports and looks great. But later on he won't have a life because he has no skills?
Or
Would you rather have that dorky looking kid that later on in life would rise to be a great leader?

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
I found them to be obnoxiously bassy. If my T50RP are mid crazy, I find the M50's to be crazy with bass. What kind of headphones are you listening to?

People have been claiming to get different sounds (tamer bass being one of them) from different box colors when buying m50s.  I sort of doubt the validity of it,  but I suppose it's possible for minor changes to happen in different production batches.  (like the HD650 driver housing color deal)

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
It's like having a kid:

Would you rather have a kid who's good at sports and looks great. But later on he won't have a life because he has no skills?
Or
Would you rather have that dorky looking kid that later on in life would rise to be a great leader?

This is truly ironic because this metaphor alludes to a large percentage of the market for head-fi and for beats respectively....................... 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
Yo, I got this:

You are paying a large sum for headphones that look "good" and sound absolutely awful for their asking price. Are you looking for a (imo poor) fashion statement, or incredible sound quality? If it is the former, I suggest a hat. If it is the latter, you have a gigantic selection of far superior sounding headphones to choose from.

I lol'd.

Exactly what he said, headphones aren't meant to be part of the fashion world; both just don't click. It is very hard to find both popular (in the "social world") and high performance headphones today...

When you decide on this topic, two choices: SOUND or FASHION. No matter what Beats fans tell you, if they ever bought a Monster headphone once, never once were they looking for sound quality.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #26 of 27
Ultimately I feel that you need to settle on a set of headphones that make you happy and produce a sound that you like.

With that being said I personally believe you can achieve better audio fidelity out of a pair of headphones for less than what you spent on your beats. I auditioned the Beats myself (I don't believe one can believe all the hype...) and I was actually impressed because after all the reading I expected them to sound like complete garbage, and if marketed at the $100 price mark could be a great deal. If style is a major influence for you I think it is hard for one person to make any kind of recommendations over another, I personally feel my HD 598's are gorgeous and sound phenomenal, but you would be probably sadly disappointed with their audio bleed and 'weaker' bass response and may not enjoy the "inside of a European sports car" look. 

I would encourage you to audition a few sets that have been recommended here, based on my research the community has probably presented you with some of the best options for the information you have given us. I have a metal-head buddy that swears to death on his Sony XB700's which are way too bass heavy for me but may be a good 'inexpensive' option to audition. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #27 of 27
Ask yourself this question, "What's more important to me, music sound quality or style?"

If style, don't return anything and you don't need to visit here anymore.

If sound quality, do some research(NOT telling people to convince you), take in advice, and find a better pair of head/earphones.

If both, see above. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back