Help convince me to return my beats!
Jun 18, 2011 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Z-Peppo

New Head-Fier
Yeah.. like the title says.
I really love the style of the beats, but I definitely understand that the sound quality is sub-par for the price. I'm kind of disappointed that the bass didn't have the presence I was hoping for.
I can't really get myself to return them.

I've been looking at the Phiaton ms400. Anyone own them? Opinions?
Basically I'm looking for a stylish, 'audiophile' headphone, preferably closed with a great bass.

I came from the Sennheiser Hd 438.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 27
Beats sound: 3/10
Ipod earbuds STOCK: 3/10

Enough? No?

Ok, Um HD598:

Open, but great sound and way better looks, style, and sound over beats. $180 if you call JR

Phiaton are very good headphones. Looks, good sound quality and nice comfort.

But, why do you need headphones to look good? Are you wearing them while flexing in front of the mirror? Or are you trying to make a impression on people when out on the town? Yeah, that'll work. They see a guy wearing huge headphones while walking around. It says to them "don't talk to me, I don't care what you have to say my music is more important" or that's what I think.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 27
I've considered the hd598 but they're open, and I listen to music in loud environments quite often, plus I have doubts i'd enjoy the bass.
(I'm a bass head)

I guess I enjoy how fashionable the beats are, and how distinct they are.
As for the Phiations, do they have better bass and overall better sq than the beats?

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 27
Jun 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 27

Okay, I've pretty much decided to purchase a different set of cans.
I'm thinking of purchasing a set of phiatons + a portable amp. Do you think that's a good decision and will blow my previous studios out of the water?

I don't know whether to get the ms400s or the ps500s though.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
Okay, I've pretty much decided to purchase a different set of cans.
I'm thinking of purchasing a set of phiatons + a portable amp. Do you think that's a good decision and will blow my previous studios out of the water?

I don't know whether to get the ms400s or the ps500s though.

First: 500's are more around ear, 400's are on ear.

Second: they are more for classical, that means that you want headphones more for looks then sound. Based on your selection. Why don't you just keep your overpriced Beats regardless?

Third: the ms400 or ms500 do not need an amp, DO NOT NEED AN AMP THEY DO NOT BECOME BETTER WITH ONE.

Forth: Yes they are better then beats, They are lighter, sound better, look better, grabs more attention and are better overall.

Fifth: I stress that you buy the ATH-M50's. They are great beguinner headphones and for a basshead, they are godly. They don't need an amp and will give you the best sound quality. 

Sixth: Wanna see my current headphones? My most beloved before my HD598 get here:

Fostex T50RP's with lots of nice mods. Yes those are handmade earpads, made from a blanket. Soft, covering provide nice isolation and are great.

Wanna know something, I got a girl's phone# a couple days ago while wearing these as they were. So if looks matter to you, you better learn that looks will cost you - both for sound quality and $$$

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
Aren't there enough threads about this to make the decision yourself?

I think he hasn't read any threads yet, he did buy Beats....
deadhorse.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 27
Why do you WANT convincing? If you want convincing surely you've made up your mind? :)

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 27
I 'auditioned' different sets of headphones at the store.  I went to the Apple store and tried the Beats and the V-Moda crossfades.  I then went over to the local GuitarCenter and tried a pair of demo ATH-M50's and was simply blown away.  If you like your music to be 'changed' by the headphones (as in different than what the artists and producers intended) then by all means get the beats.  If you want hear what your music was meant to sound like, get a quality set of headphones.    Monster (the maker of Beats) is a marketing company, not a headphone company.  

Go to sennheiserusa.com, audio-technica.com, gradolabs.com, etc., - notice how they don't have some big name star on the front of them?  Now go to beatsbydre.com.   Exactly.

Nothing wrong with buying into a brand, mind you.  Just be aware of what you're actually paying for (marketing vs. manufacturing)

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 27

Settle down bro, he's asking for advice and opinions on a nice headphone, obviously he's done his research if he's asking about phiatons. Plus, if your out in public looks do matter to a lot of people, myself included, and seeing as you can have looks and great sound at the same time i don't think there should be a problem. No need to freak out on the guy.

Anyway, yea I think the both the m50s or the phiatons would work great for you, neither will really need an amp either. 

Quote:
First: 500's are more around ear, 400's are on ear.

Second: they are more for classical, that means that you want headphones more for looks then sound. Based on your selection. Why don't you just keep your overpriced Beats regardless?

Third: the ms400 or ms500 do not need an amp, DO NOT NEED AN AMP THEY DO NOT BECOME BETTER WITH ONE.

Forth: Yes they are better then beats, They are lighter, sound better, look better, grabs more attention and are better overall.

Fifth: I stress that you buy the ATH-M50's. They are great beguinner headphones and for a basshead, they are godly. They don't need an amp and will give you the best sound quality. 

Sixth: Wanna see my current headphones? My most beloved before my HD598 get here:

Fostex T50RP's with lots of nice mods. Yes those are handmade earpads, made from a blanket. Soft, covering provide nice isolation and are great.

Wanna know something, I got a girl's phone# a couple days ago while wearing these as they were. So if looks matter to you, you better learn that looks will cost you - both for sound quality and $$$

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
I 'auditioned' different sets of headphones at the store.  I went to the Apple store and tried the Beats and the V-Moda crossfades.  I then went over to the local GuitarCenter and tried a pair of demo ATH-M50's and was simply blown away.  If you like your music to be 'changed' by the headphones (as in different than what the artists and producers intended) then by all means get the beats.  If you want hear what your music was meant to sound like, get a quality set of headphones.    Monster (the maker of Beats) is a marketing company, not a headphone company.  

Go to sennheiserusa.com, audio-technica.com, gradolabs.com, etc., - notice how they don't have some big name star on the front of them?  Now go to beatsbydre.com.   Exactly.

Nothing wrong with buying into a brand, mind you.  Just be aware of what you're actually paying for (marketing vs. manufacturing)

This +2

Beats by: Dr. Dre is the official name. People can tell you any headphones marketed with an artist's name is going to raise the price. On top of that Beats have "noise canceling" which I have very sensitive ears and after 10 seconds of use my ears feel like the frequency is drilling a hole through my head. Beats are valued at $80 for me. They are not worth much more and maybe a lot less.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Settle down bro, he's asking for advice and opinions on a nice headphone, obviously he's done his research if he's asking about phiatons. Plus, if your out in public looks do matter to a lot of people, myself included, and seeing as you can have looks and great sound at the same time i don't think there should be a problem. No need to freak out on the guy.

Anyway, yea I think the both the m50s or the phiatons would work great for you, neither will really need an amp either. 

It seems he did his research, and somehow picked Beats. When you go to HeadFi, yes you can find a good looking pair of headphones but when you do, the sound quality lack. Or the build quality, or anything. I'm not freaking out on the guy, bro, but when your trying to buy something you will never see when in use It kinda feels that you didn't pay enough for them.

He asked to convince him otherwise, not give him more choices. The worst thing is when someone gives you a new trail to follow.

To Z-Peppo
:

If you want a pair of headphones that look good, go for anything you'd find that would look good. If it be Grado, Senn, Koss or (oh god) Stax 

If you want headphones for what they are made to used for, to listen to, Get the ATH-M50's. This is because your music preference and use of them will fit well with the headphones. Phiatons are more for Classical/Jazz/Rock music. They are very light on Bass and won't give you the sound your looking for. If you can't find the sound you want, You're better off keeping you Beats.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
TWO WORD: build Quality

Those beats will snap like a twig one day.

@botbyte t50rp with fuzzy pads. Don't you lose alot of bass that way.

TWO WORDS: M50's are rock solid. And yes build quality is key, Have you noticed that all the Beats found at Bestbuy are broken? IF the M50's were on display we would have a challenge to try to break them.

I'm gonna post a full review on the T50RP, but without my mods so I'll tell you. The headphones are mostly mids, so when I added the pads I didn't know what they would sound like. Amazingly enough, the bass increased and tightened. The highs were slightly, just by a small bit dulled but the separation and soundstage was increased. This is probably because the drivers are spaced farther apart from my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back