Help choosing Closed Headphones
Oct 29, 2010 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

osukaa

New Head-Fier
Hi! First post here, I was reading the forum, as suggested, to look for options. But the more I read the more options I had :S. I'm looking for help, I'm looking for closed headphones, because most of the time I'm in places with lots of people, or even when I'm at a library I wouldn't like to disturb other people. My budget is between $100 - $150. I would be listening from my laptop or my iPod, I have no plan to buy an amplifier this year. I've reduced the list to this ( don't ask me how
tongue.gif
) headphones, any suggestions would be happily appreciated.

1. Sennheiser HD448
  2. Audio Technica ATH-A700
  3. JVC HARX900
  4. *AKG K-240*

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 10
ATH A700 are open..leakage. 

Try Shure's srh440

The SRH440 might just be the best value for money closed headphone under $200 (choose a different model in a closed style if you don't need isolation). They have excellent overall sound quality with good, solid (but not overwhelming) bass response, clear midrange and detailed treble with excellent instrument separation.
Build quality and comfort levels are excellent, and they offer good isolation from outside noise as well.
Be aware, that if you don't need isolation from outside noise, you will get significantly superior performance from open headphones.

Specifications

1. Model number: SRH440
  2. Weight: 181g
  3. Impedance: 44ohms
  4. Sensitivity: 105dB
  5. Power Handling: 500mW
  6. Open/Closed: Closed
  7. Transducer type: Dynamic
  8. Ear Coupling: Circumaural
  9. Frequency response: 10 - 22,000 Hz
  10. Cable length: 3m

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 10
Where do you live?

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 10
You're wanting closed headphones for portable and home use. None of the headphones you listed are best suited for this - with long cables or are not closed.

The ATH-M50 with a coiled cable (not the M50s) is a popular choice for portable use. The Denon D1001 and Creative Aurvana Live! used to be popular.

Another way about this is to buy portable headphones like IEMs for library use and full size headphones for home use.  

Quote:
  1. Sennheiser HD448
  2. Audio Technica ATH-A700
  3. JVC HARX900
  4. *AKG K-240*

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 10
I own the 840 and they sound great, but i find them very unconfortable after extented use. They are too tight on my ears. I don t know if the 440 are different from that point but you should check if you find them confortables before buying Shure headphones.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 10
For the record, the A700 is not open. The open variant is the AD700.

If you've ever seen either of them, they are the very prototypical definition of not portable. Huge, non-folding, and lots of plastic. Probably well made, but I wouldn't risk it.

Also for the record, the K240 is semi-open, which means it would leak. Also big and cumbersome.

I'll sound like I'm dredging up FOTM on this forum again, but have you considered the ATH-M50? It's uber popular around here, right in your price range, and decently portable for a large, sealed can. It also runs well unamped.

EDIT: I see I got beaten to the punch. Oh, well, another suggestion can't hurt.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
For the record, the A700 is not open. The open variant is the AD700.

If you've ever seen either of them, they are the very prototypical definition of not portable. Huge, non-folding, and lots of plastic. Probably well made, but I wouldn't risk it.

Also for the record, the K240 is semi-open, which means it would leak. Also big and cumbersome.

I'll sound like I'm dredging up FOTM on this forum again, but have you considered the ATH-M50? It's uber popular around here, right in your price range, and decently portable for a large, sealed can. It also runs well unamped.

My bad..

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 10
M50 are good to look into. I have used them in the library. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back