Help choosing best headphones to get?
Dec 17, 2010 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ChopaH

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy some new headphones that go over my ears. I am willing to spend around $100. So far I've been narrowing it down to the A500's, MDR-V6's (refurbished for $40), HD 580's, and the MDR-7506. Some info to help:

I don't DJ or need them for a studio or anything. I do produce once in a great while but I do it for fun, not like it's a job or anything. I listen to hip hop/rap so I want a pair with some good bass, but not to where the rest of the sound quality is bad. I also want them to be comftorable and was wondering if it's okay to fall asleep with these on. Lastly, I will most likely be wearing them around my neck when I'm not using them so I would like them to look decent. I don't need Skullcandy's or anything but as long as I won't be embarrased wearing them.

I also like them to be loud. I keep buying headphones from stores and returning them because they don't get loud enough for me. I settled with some in ear Koss ones that have a voulme control and they get the job done.

I'm not sure if this matters but I listen to my music from my cell phone (it's a Droid Incredible) so if the device plays a role in how good the quality/how loud the sound is then I'd like to know for sure cause I've always wondered this.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm very new to the studio headphone industry, but smart enough to know the Skullcandy's sound awful even though my friends are convinced they are amazing.

Dec 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 9
Do you listen to Mp3s on you Droid or just youtube videos etc.?

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 9
Well I am very new to audio so I couldn't give you very much advice. I do know that if you want good sound quality you should always use 320 kbps Mp3s or Lossless WMAs. When you get some detailed headphones you will notice how terrible youtube videos and any Mp3 under 320 kbps sounds. I do know that the HD 580s have been discontinued so it may be hard finding them. I would say to just type the names of the headphones that you were considering into the search forum bar at the top. There are many people on here who know exponential amounts about headphones. And yes, skullcandies do sound really terrible, you are completely right on that. I have Sennheiser HD 485 and they have great bass but they are open and are pretty ridiculous looking on the street.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 9
...not loud enough? DUUUUUDE. Did you not plan on having hearing when you're 40? That being said, where did you find HD580s for around $100? They probably won't get too loud though. A500s get plenty loud, in my opinion and work decently with those genres, but make you look like a tool wearing them. The V6 and 7506 are basically the same, and no experience with them.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 9

Personally I don't hear a significant difference between 192-320 mp3s at least when I'm on the go so I'm not paying as much attention as I usually would..Anyways the m50s seem to be a good option

You will notice a difference with good headphones and a portable amp.

I don't know how far up you have to go, but my HD 650s make 128k mp3s sound terrible, and I think the HD 650s are actually regarded as rather forgiving.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
You will notice a difference with good headphones and a portable amp.I don't know how far up you have to go, but my HD 650s make 128k mp3s sound terrible, and I think the HD 650s are actually regarded as rather forgiving.

I know 128 mp3s suck for me..When I a/b tested the differences between the kbps I could tell differences but they were not massive enough to be a must for me on the go..but at home I use higher bit rates..and remember bad recordings even ripped at 320kbps or Flac will stil sound like crap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back