Help! Bose ae or Bose oe?
Apr 22, 2007 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

middlemaniac

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have the Bose ae right now and am wanting to return them for the oe. I have had the ae for a while and love them but they are a bit fragile. I love the amount of bass in the headphones, which is why I love bose. Should I get the oe instead? Do they sound better?, are they less fragile? I also like that they are a lot smaller than the ae. What should I do?

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 87
Get something entirely different. (Headroom isn't bad for a market overview.) Reportedly the Bose "on ear" is pretty bad - and the classic Triport "around ear" isn't the very greatest headphone to begin with.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 87
The OE sounds a bit worse than the AE.

Neither is a very good value.

If you want bass, look into the Beyerdynamic DT-770 which should be around the same price, if not less. They're sonically better.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 87
but i want headphones that look cool and are relatively small with a pretty good bass. I think the bose headphones look cool. Are any other headphones looking as cool? It would also be nice if they were under 140 dollars. And why arn't the bose triport ae good? They got good reviews on many websites.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by middlemaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i want headphones that look cool and are relatively small with a pretty good bass. I think the bose headphones look cool. Are any other headphones looking as cool?

Yeah, Skullcandy headphones are amazing, you should check those out.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 87
Quote:

but i want headphones that look cool and are relatively small with a pretty good bass. I think the bose headphones look cool. Are any other headphones looking as cool? It would also be nice if they were under 140 dollars.

what do you like about the bose look?

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 87
Quote:

but i want headphones that look cool and are relatively small with a pretty good bass. I think the bose headphones look cool. Are any other headphones looking as cool?

Hehe, then head-fi is probably not the right place for you. People on this forum mostly like headphones for the sake of listening to good music. Their definition of cool is most probably entirely different from yours (given that you find the bose cool seriously points towards that direction).

I bought a pair of Bose triports (which I still have unfortunately. Wasted money if you ask me), before I knew what good music sounded like. Now I can't let go of my Grado RS-1 pair. Trying my bose triport through my Zhaolu D2.5A DAC doesn't make them sound any better. Good music in, Garbage out.
blink.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Skullcandy headphones are amazing, you should check those out.
rolleyes.gif

icon10.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 87
IMO the dt770 looks better than the bose
rolleyes.gif
you might want to look at the audiotechnica ones that have the mirror finish (can't remember the name)

or like metioned above....go with skullcandy
smily_headphones1.gif
blink.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 87
Quote:

but i want headphones that look cool and are relatively small with a pretty good bass. I think the bose headphones look cool. Are any other headphones looking as cool? It would also be nice if they were under 140 dollars. And why arn't the bose triport ae good? They got good reviews on many websites.

When I see a thread like this I always wonder if it's just a joke.
rolleyes.gif

But in case it's not, do a search here for "Bose" You'll see that Bose is not a favored brand in these parts.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 87
Quote:

Go to Google Images and search for "Audio Technica ATH-ES7". They look better than any Bose offering, because Bose offerings look pretty unimpressive.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 87
Find someone who has a good set of cans and listen to them side by side with any Bose headphones and you'll know right away.

I had a pair of Bose QC2 that I used and loved for years. Once I heard the Ety ER-4Ps, I've not used the Bose again. I then got an amp and a pair of Sennheisers and the world is a different place.

Bose is a marketing machine, and their gear does not compare with the "real" players in the market. As an example, the Bose QC2 are $299. For that price you can get a pair of Sennheisser HD-650 which are considered to be the best headphones under $1000 by a lot of people. You could argue that you're paying for active noise cancellation in the QC2, but for less than $200 you can get passive NC that works better and sounds better than the Bose.

If you want headphones that look cool over headphones that sound amazing, you're in the wrong place and you will get flamed constantly. If you open your mind to the idea of killer sound over looks, you'll find that Bose has led you down a dark path.

Seriously - the people here can show you cans that will sound 10x as good as any bose for 1/2 the price (or more!).

HTH,

GAD

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 87
fuglyphones-lol.jpg

My headphones look the best!

The Triport AE, if you like the sound, then stick with it, the OE is noticeably worse sounding. The Triport AE though has a reputation, deservedly so, for breaking easily, especially the headband. For the same money that an AE costs though, you can get a pair of headphones which will perform much better. Or there are ones which perform the same, and which are cheaper.

Bose is not a well favoured product in these parts, although I personally have nothing against the Triport other than its high pricing, which in the UK, is still more competitive than Grado pricing.

What about the Triport look is that that you like so much? If you definitely want either the AE or the OE, I'd say stick with the AE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back