Help!!! Advice on a high-end system
Jan 24, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
While I definitely agree that some people think the Stax/Orpheus/R10 are the "holy grail" of headphones, it's also clear that the Ety/Sony/Senn/Grado/AKG models are really "high end" cans. Calling them "upper mid-fi" is like calling a Krell transport/DAC "upper mid fi" just because there are a few models out there that beat it
biggrin.gif

I agree 100%, Mac.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 85
You know, the moment I hit the reply button, it occurred to me I would upset someone with that remark.
wink.gif

Hear me out. Typically, what we generally consider to be "high-end" products are those that are made by smaller independent companies that emphasize build quality and sound quality over value. In general, the phones I listed in the "mid-fi" section are made by large manufactureres, assembled en masse and sold for lower prices to the general public. To me, they are "upper-mid-fi" products by definition, but that doesn't mean they don't sound great and wouldn't satisfy MOST people. They didn't quite satisfy me as an example.

In general, I have found that the same laws of economics that work everywhere else in the world also apply to headphones-- better quality costs more.

BTW, before anyone else panics, I also left the Beyer 770 and 990 as well as the no longer available Audio-Technica W2002.

markl

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #19 of 85
The two best headphone systems I have heard are the ones you mentioned: the BlockHead, and the Orpheus. They are both outstanding. You can't go wrong with either. However, they both have different sounds. The BlockHead could be retitled, the BassHead, as it has the most fantastically deep and powerful (yet controlled) bass available in a headphone amp. It is a rockin' amp, perfectly suited for rock, pop, electronica. Of course, it also sounds perfectly musical with classical and jazz as well.

However, the Orpheus is still King. If money is no object, this is the combo I'd go for. It's just so enveloping, like a shawl. Yet it has an infinite soundstage, so that would make it an XXL shawl. And detailed. Like an XXL custom-tailored shawl. And comfy. Like an XXL custom-tailored, cashmere shawl.

You have no choice but to get one of the two above. NO CHOICE!

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #20 of 85
I certainly appreciate the robust debate! I'm taking it to heart too...just read some reviews of the Stax Omega 2 plus 007t setup and emailed to reviewer for some more info.

I was originally put off by the fact that almost everyone says the Stax are over analytic and too this reviewer was using Levinson gear which I personally consider dry....But Markl is putting this system up as one of the 4 very best and so I'm looking.

Anyway...ummm...I'm not looking to blow money but still I see this reference to the Orpheus system as being ALUDED to as the best...but nobody owns this thing and only a few it seems have ever even heard it.

A very rarified advantage to me of the Orpheus is that if I hated it I could return it, unlike say the Sony Phones which, at $4K I could not.

And what about the BlockHead? Why all this hoopla then?

I have a balanced system (The Accuphase, being Japanese, has the same reversed hot pin as the Omega) and I know Sennheiser through its microphones/transducer are very high on the benefits of lowered noise floor/better diaphragm control/no EMF etc.

Ohhh...also, do the Omega or Orpheus Phones allow for cable upgrades?

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 85
You can get the Sony R10 from two places in the U.S., but you are likely to pay the full $4K list:

www.audioadvancements.com
www.themegifts.com

You should ask them about their return policies. Otherwise, ask around about a way to import directly from Japan. Rumor is, you can get the R10 for $2500 or so that way.

markl

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #23 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Hear me out. Typically, what we generally consider to be "high-end" products are those that are made by smaller independent companies that emphasize build quality and sound quality over value. In general, the phones I listed in the "mid-fi" section are made by large manufactureres, assembled en masse and sold for lower prices to the general public. To me, they are "upper-mid-fi" products by definition, but that doesn't mean they don't sound great and wouldn't satisfy MOST people. They didn't quite satisfy me as an example.

The Orpheus, Stax, and R10 would satisfy MOST people, but not all
wink.gif

And considering the R10 are made by Sony, I think you should put your R10s in the "upper-mid-fi" category, as well
very_evil_smiley.gif
j/k

To me -- and I think this is a far more useful definition -- "high-end" is defined by sound quality. If a headphone is made by a tiny, indepenent company that tries to emphasize build quality and sound quality, but the headphone isn't as good as most of the great headphones, it will never be a "high-end" heapdhone. Conversely, if a headphone is produced en masse by a huge multinational corporation and is sold for a low price, if the sound quality of that headphone is clearly one of the best on the market, it is therefore a "high-end" headphone. This is a definition that makes far more sense -- assuming that sound quality is what we're here for
wink.gif

The five headphones you listed are *clearly* high-end headphones. They are all among the top 10 headphones in the world, regardless of how much they cost and who makes them, and that, IMO, makes them "high-end."

Jan 25, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #26 of 85
Thanks for the info Markl....I found both those places on the net and will contact them as to return policies.

For everyone: I asked for input and I very much appreciate it. Please do not give anyone else a hard time for their honest opinions. If people become over defensive about what they think they do not share what they think. Or worse......I could end up buying $$$$$$$ worth of the emperor's new clothes

Jan 25, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 85
Whatever you do, I think I speak for us all when I say-- post your results here!

Imagine, a Sony R10 and Cary CAD300SEI vs. the Orpheus vs. Stax Omega review! Now that would be a good read!

markl

Jan 25, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #28 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by mwb
Please do not give anyone else a hard time for their honest opinions. If people become over defensive about what they think they do not share what they think.

Don't worry, nothing I say is going to stop markl for saying his own
wink.gif
We're just sad that since markl got his R10s, he's forgotten about his friends down here in the 3-digit range
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back