Help!!! Advice on a high-end system
Jan 28, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #76 of 85
MacDef makes some great points but is it just me or is his graph a flying saucer? It sorta creeps me out.

Kelly

Jan 28, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #77 of 85
Well Mac, I guess we'll have to agree to dissagree. In terms of low frequency response, the Headroom graphs are closer to what I measure than your graphs are. When I get a chance I'll do another round of measurements to see if they're any different than I got last time.
Cheers,

Jan 28, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #78 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
That white spot on MacDEF's robot is starting to look like a beard ...

Give him a blue hue and he could be Smurf-bot.

Jan 28, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #79 of 85
mac, how high do you have the volume knob on your max when you're listening to music at a comfortable volume?

Jan 28, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #80 of 85
Neruda, I already answered that question in another thread. And I'll repeat the other thing I said there -- the bass response of the K501 does not improve when you blast it to unlistenable levels
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #81 of 85
With the ear speakers "floating" besides your head the K1000 deliver the closed
approximation of conventional "room" speakers, even without complex diffuse
field processors or cross over filters.

Directly connected to a decent integrated amp (via speaker terminals, not
headphone jack) the K1000 compete nicely with conventional headphone powered by
dedicated headphone amps.

A good Class A headphone amp can improve sound furthermore. SAC's dedicated K1000 amp will do even better. My current and hopefully final headphone set-up is now comprising:

Rotel RCD 991 AE
Van den Hul D102 MkIII balanced interconnects
SAC AKG K1000 dedicated headphone amp
2 AKG K1000 headphones

The sound is very detailed, rich, dynamic and neutral. Getting the same with loudspeakers would cost much, much more. And there is no interference with room acoustics and neighbours. Adding a subwoofer would partially offset the latter benefits and, being used to compact standmounted speakers, I am not really missing the lower bass range. I am not shure whether I would like the warmer, sweeter and smoother sound that is usually associated with tube equipment.

The second socket on the AKG amp, combined with the very open K1000 make them "social" headphones. Compared to that, some of there very finest loadspeakers, the Quad ESLs are almost only suitable for one-person listening (narrow sweet spot).

HP

Jan 29, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #82 of 85
Nicely put hpl!
Thanks!

Jan 31, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #83 of 85
I would like to thank everyone for their warmth and generousity of spirit in helping me select my first headphone system. THis is a great community and one I hope to stay involved with.

So here is what I purchased to start:

A Cary 300SEi amplifier and a pair of Sennheiser HD600 as well as a pair of used HP1000. The Hp1000 are used and I haven't received them in the mail as of yet. If anyone knows about the upgrade path to cords and earcups for this piece I would appreciate some direction.

So my system will be an Accuphase DT90 and DC91 Transport and Dac - Nordost Quatro Fil - Cary 300 SEi - either headphone.
I am also thinking about trying the Sony Headphones just as soon as I get my feet on the ground with these things.

I am using Audi Tekne Arc Power Cords and an Equi=Tech balanced power station. I know the system smack of simply following Jonathan Scull's lead - and I find that we tend to like many of the same things, we both use Accuphase and we both have JMLab Utopia speakers. Nonetheless you were all an invaluable resource and I thank everyone who contributed -----And like you, I am most likely not done yet!!!!

Oh, one more quick thing, I very much want to try the Cardas headphone wire upfrade for the Sennheiser and if anyone gets wind of where and when I might be able to purchase these cables please post --- or better yet email me at mwb@tranquility.net

Very Sincerely,
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back