Help!!! Advice on a high-end system
Jan 25, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #31 of 85
Two days ago I got a Cary 300SEI and a pair of Sen 600 headphones. Let me tell you. I've heard a lot of systems over the years, and , for me, this is audio nirvana. It sound wonderful, but should sound even better after 50 hours or so.

I have a pair of Triangle Zarius speakers on the way.

Jan 25, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #32 of 85
Glee:

The Cary 300SEI is a very strong consideration for me. I understand it is a great unit. If you don't mind Glee, let me know where you got yours, how many places you checked for pricing and what kind of deal I might expect on one.

I sent an email last night to the gentleman who owns Headroom - I guess he posts here and is fair game - anyway, I inquired about the Cary as well as the BlockHead and the Orpheus.

I don't really think anyone buys either of those two pieces for some reason, however they are both intriguing to me.

The BlockHead because it is balanced and I can see how a balanced topology might greatly contribute Headphone listening, although again, I have no experience.

The Orpheus, while seeming a longer shot because of the combination of the facts that a) I have never owned a Headphone system so it seems a bit presumptuous to buy one that is considered by virtually everyone to be ridiculously overpriced and b) The mere fact that while so many seem to praise it as "perfect" nobody seems to buy one and that suggests to me the fact that it just "ain't that superior".

I AM serious, however, about trying to find happiness with phones as my "serious" or primary listening device and I AM parting with a system that does not make "perfection" for $12K sound ridiculous.

Also I am passing on the Stax I think.

Jan 25, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #33 of 85
I own about 40,000 (retail) Krell/B&W system and if I knew now what I didn't know then. After all the acoustic treatments and isolation devices, I would just get a Blockhead/600's and call it a day. Even in a larger house with a dedicated room properly set up there will always be some compromises no matter the cost. I feel it cost me a huge chunk of change to get closer to a live performance with the SPL to be realistic and quality of sound. You will have to decide what kind of experience it is you want, but to remove the headphones will be ten times the price.
Good luck with your choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #34 of 85
MWB

I ordered my Cary 300SEI from Upscale Audio in Upland, California. Seems the dealers around Atlanta aren't that active, so , having heard good things about UA I called Kevin there. I got what is called 'open box' meaning someone took it home and it didn't meet their needs so they brought it back and bought something else. I t has full warrantee on Amp and Tubes (the WE 300B tubes are about $800 a pair).

I got the Cary, a New Tube CD player, and a pair of Triangle Zarius. I think because it was 'open box' I saved a bunch of dollars. I don't know if many dealers discount much on these high end things.

I have listened maybe 20 hours and can hear the sound improving already. Now I'm using a pair of Senn 600 headphones and also a pair of DCM Time Window speakers I bought in 1982. They sound pretty good, but the Zarius should blow me away. The Senn 600's sound heavenly.

I have found that the best thing for me is to find a system I like a lot and enjoy a lot and then quit reading the high-end magazines and reading these list. If you are like me you could drive yourself nuts 'seeking perfection.'

I heard the Cary 300SEI seven years ago and have not been able to forget it. Now that I have it I think I'll just sit back, relax, and listen a lot.

glee

Jan 25, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #35 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by glee
Two days ago I got a Cary 300SEI and a pair of Sen 600 headphones. Let me tell you. I've heard a lot of systems over the years, and , for me, this is audio nirvana. It sound wonderful, but should sound even better after 50 hours or so.

I have a pair of Triangle Zarius speakers on the way.

I am not sure about how Cary sounded with Senn 600. But it definitely sounded beautiful with my Sony CD3000. Currently, I am burning-in my W2002. Hopefully it would sound as good as my Cary/Sony combo. (Note: Currently, CD3000 sounds superior to my W2002)

I have also tried Cary with Grado RS 1. Personally, I did not really like the sound.

I have tried the STAX Omega 2. Seriously, I personally prefer the Cary/Sony combo. Well again, all ears are made different.

My 2-cent opinion is that you should go to try them out before putting your money down. Listening is a very "subjective" experience, some prefer "this sound" while the rest do not. You should go for the one that your ears like best. Ultimately, it is your ears that are going to listen to them. Right ?

Buying the Cary would actually allow you to test out different cans available in the market. Isn't that great?

Jan 25, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #36 of 85
You realize uvak, that if you really like the Sony CD3000 and have an amp the quality of the Cary, there is simply no escape from the R10!

markl

Jan 26, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #38 of 85
well not one to knock the orpheus or stax Omega,having heard both and totally enjoyed both,i would go for more of a "mood" thing here.
From my talking to others the Melos headphone amps sound good with any can plugged in.I would go there first.
Then i would go for a pair of senns and a pair of grados.The sennheiser is a no brainer,HD600.But not the RS-1 for the Grado.
Why ?
You want something to sound entirely different and not lighter shades of each other,and that means the 325.Very dynamic,nothing layed back here.
The seens are the other end of the spectrum,layed back and smooth.
I like to listen to music according to my mood at the time.Yesterdays fav may get on my nerves today.
There is no true one size fits all.

BTW-I prsonally love the RS-1 and have plans to obtain a pair,but my Alessandros suit me for now

Jan 26, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #39 of 85
Thanks for the good advice and by all means keep it coming...

In the mean time this is what I am going to do - to get my feet wet with this stuff I just ran across a 3 year old Cary 300SEI with Western Electric 300Bs (supposedly low hours) and I will order the Sennehiser HD 600s with the Clou cable because they do seem (if one does as I am going to do: pass on the Orpheus and Omega) seem like a no brainer.

I want a pair of Grados too and was trying to familiarize myself with what to get...SR-1s a easily available and are touted as the best Gados ...but somebody here said the old HP1 or HP2 are better...Is this true? Can they still be found in mint condition?
I have never even heard of the other Grados you mention.

Anyway, at least this way I get started and the ued Cary was under $2k so if I don't like it I figure I can always sell it. Once I get a bit accustomed to listening to Headphones ...and if I like them...I think I'll try the BlockHead as well. I have a fully balanced front end and some frightfully delicious Nordost Quatro Fils (XLR) that could really work well with it.

I will get the Grados pretty soon though in any event. I COULD USE SOME ADVICE THERE!

I will just have to hold off on trying the Sony MDR-10s owing to the fact that they are hard to get, expensive, controversial and I can't seem to locate a resale market if I ended up not liking them quite $4k worth.

Thanks so much for being so kind and forthcoming with a virtual stranger,

Michael

Jan 26, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by mwb
a no brainer.

So true, hehehehe.

Many people seem to like the Grados, however, my experience has been bad. I found them to be uncomfortable (could not wear them for more than five minutes). I did not enjoy their sound either, although it had the warmth which I did like, there were just too many dominant tendencies that threw the sound spectrum off balance (hurts ears, sounding bright doesn't help either).

Initially, you might find hi-fi headphone listening awkward, but I have no doubt that you will end up enjoying the Cary/Senn combo very much. =)
The HD600 will sound unattractive at first, but hang in there and let them break in (you will be rewarded remarkably). Listen to them (or leave them running) all night and morning and afternoon (for a week) and you will notice the sound improving more and more gradually (seems like endless improvement
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 26, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #41 of 85
mwb, where did you find a Cary 300sei for under $2000? And if you do ever get tired of it, you know where the first place you should put it up for grabs is...
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #42 of 85
FWIW, here's my advice:

Forget the Grados. Based on your listening experience, private comments to me, and equipment you own, I would not spend time on the Grados. I am one of the few here who will openly say "I just don't get the Grado sound". I know I'll get clobbered by Team Grado, but there ya go. I am willing to bet money you will not like them.

A more meaningful and useful comparison would be the Sony CD3000, readily available at $400 on the net, and compare that to the Senn HD600. The CD3000 is based on "trickle-down" technology from the R10, and will give you a taste of what the R10 is like.

Once you've deteremined that the CD3000 is superior to the HD600, order the R10 and be done with it.

Just free advice and worth every penny you paid for it. Cheers.

markl

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #43 of 85
markl, quit knocking the Senns! You've made it very clear that you love them expensive cans, but please don't say that they're superior as if it were a fact. Instead of "once you've determined", I think it should have been "if you determine that..."
Just some friendly constructive criticism,
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #44 of 85
I've never really knocked the Senns (but I do openly and flagrantly knock Grados).

If I hadn't heard the CD3000 or the R10, I would be able to live happily with the Senns. They're great headphones absolutely, but there's better out there to my ears.

mwb has asked for advice on a high-end system. As a member here who's actually spent a lot of time with one, I have some insight to offer. So I offer it.

Jan 26, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #45 of 85
dhw: The 300SEI is in excellent condition but 2 years old. The guy selling it told me he has about 250 hours on the tubes...Since the Western Electric 300Bs sell for $800 a pair (perhaps $600 if you shop) I am hoping that there is plenty of life left. There should be don't you think?

Markl: So the Sony 3000 have the same general balance and characteristics of the MDR 10s hmmmm that is interesting. And I have seen those available all over the net. Thanks for the idea!

I even suspect that one of the dealers I've done business over the years...or even Headroom might...carry them both and ship them with the idea that I just keep one or both as desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back