Help a Fisherman
Feb 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Zaylor

New Head-Fier
I fish commercially in the summer. The fishing vessel that I live on for 2 months has twin John Deere engines that are running constantly. This produces a low rumble. There is a refrigeration system that is also constantly running. It produces a high-pitched whine. There is something loose in one of the exhaust stacks; it creates a maddening vibration.

I am very concerned about my hearing in this job. Two of the people on the boat have been doing this for many years, and they are nearly deaf because of it. I wear a Peltor ~30 NRR headset when I can. Sometimes I wear it over earplugs. When I want to listen to music, I wear the white ipod 'buds inside of the Peltor headset. This is a blissful release from the noise. However, it is not ideal. The music quality is poor and the buds constantly fall out.  I wear earplugs constantly (3-flange type) when I cannot wear the Peltor headset. 

I am used to living in earplugs. The sweaty-ears-syndrome from the headset is tiresome, but I am used to it as well. I am used to sleeping in both.

My mission to you: Help me find a solution that will allow me to listen to decent-quality music.

My priorities are:

1. hearing safety
2. isolation
3. music quality
4. durability
5. It would be nice if this solution also worked for airline travel.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 29
Maybe the Portable Headphones section would be more helpful..

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 29
Custom IEMs or IEMs with deepish insertion would likely work well.

For example, Etymotic, Shure, Westone all isolate very well, especially with triple flange or foam tips.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 29
I've only read about them a little earlier today, but the Rock It Sounds R-Shield appear to be an option as well. I haven't had a change to try them out, but they might be of some use.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:
I fish commercially in the summer. The fishing vessel that I live on for 2 months has twin John Deere engines that are running constantly. This produces a low rumble. There is a refrigeration system that is also constantly running. It produces a high-pitched whine. There is something loose in one of the exhaust stacks; it creates a maddening vibration.

I am very concerned about my hearing in this job. Two of the people on the boat have been doing this for many years, and they are nearly deaf because of it. I wear a Peltor ~30 NRR headset when I can. Sometimes I wear it over earplugs. When I want to listen to music, I wear the white ipod 'buds inside of the Peltor headset. This is a blissful release from the noise. However, it is not ideal. The music quality is poor and the buds constantly fall out.  I wear earplugs constantly (3-flange type) when I cannot wear the Peltor headset. 

If triple-flanges aren't enough, might want to try getting custom silicone tips or custom silicone IEMs.
Otherwise HF5/ER4P with max -36dB isolation.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
Custom IEMs or IEMs with deepish insertion would likely work well.

For example, Etymotic, Shure, Westone all isolate very well, especially with triple flange or foam tips.

Quote:

If triple-flanges aren't enough, might want to try getting custom silicone tips or custom silicone IEMs.
Otherwise HF5/ER4P with max -36dB isolation.

I have never gotten IEM's to work for me before. I just ordered an earplug mold kit to try and make some IEM's, as I don't think I can afford a custom fit by an audiologist.

Out of curiousity though, how do you guys go about finding an IEM that fits? Since you can't really go somewhere and try them on...

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

I have never gotten IEM's to work for me before. I just ordered an earplug mold kit to try and make some IEM's, as I don't think I can afford a custom fit by an audiologist.

Out of curiousity though, how do you guys go about finding an IEM that fits? Since you can't really go somewhere and try them on...

Mold kits are generally good as long as you're being careful.

? Usually headphone shops will let you demo them as long as they or you have custom sanitary wipes.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
Mold kits are generally good as long as you're being careful.

? Usually headphone shops will let you demo them as long as they or you have custom sanitary wipes.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am definitely trying to be careful; I got ear dams. 

Ah. I guess in that case, my problem is that I live in Alaska. I don't have anywhere that has a lot on demo.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 29
There are a few theories.

I think that noise cancelling could help, but I'm not experienced with them. If they can cut down on the background noise on a plane, should work to a degree.

Your design of IEM's under noise protection is good. Getting a good fit is going to be pretty hit / miss IMO. 

I have to recommend the Vsonic GR02 Bass editions as thats what I'm rocking now and they're cheap and sound very good to my ear. As for the fit, if you get the propper box (look for color coded flages), they offer a number of tips to try (pain to get on tho) and you can also look to upmarket / generic options like Comply tips (400 series I believe)

Outer protection, inner isolation, good option. Noise cancelling might work well (even better), but you have to spend a fairly big chunk to afford the quality stuff (the Bose are suposed to be some of the best for NC).

GL

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

IEM fit is a function of a few things. Your ears might be too small for a lot of IEM's. I know that all the old Ultimate Ears universals were way too big to fit into my ears. You can find some IEM's that have smaller tips that you can stick in further and should isolate better. There's also the size and shape of the case to consider. Some companies, like Westone, do a great job at designing cases that fit well in ears and don't fall out. A lot of the better designs will have the wires going over the ear instead of straight down. Also, if you have fit problems, using foam tips like Comply's usually works as a last resort.

IEM's will give you the best isolation, but they aren't extremely durable. If you're going to be using these outside a lot in the cold with a lot of moisture (and sleeping in them), I'm not sure any headphone will last you that long. Maybe the few water resistant ones out there? Custom IEM's might be your best option since you can reshell or recable them, and the fit should be great.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 29
IMO the only things to do here is to get custom molded ear plugs. There is two ways to do this.

Active noise cancelling will be nowhere as good and they will break immediately, as they're not very tough.

- you get custom molded ear plugs, possibly with changeable filters so that you can find your perfect level of attenuation. Find the right supplier and they will have an attachment that is a earphone that fit in the earplug instead of the filter.
- get a custom IEM.

There is reason etymotyic sells acs tips. A consistently good seal and high comfort.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:
I've only read about them a little earlier today, but the Rock It Sounds R-Shield appear to be an option as well. I haven't had a change to try them out, but they might be of some use.

I am really interested in these. But are they anything more than a safety headset (like my Peltor) with drivers?

I think I am going to try marrying my Peltors to some headphone drivers and see where that gets me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back