Hello. I'm Czilla. I'm a mid-a-holic.
Aug 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I'm listened to some very expensive headphones. I own the JVC-DX1000, the Grado SR325 (gold), and have owned the Senn-HD600 (although I don't remember what they sound like). I also have a Stax Classic 2 system in storage.

Yet, no headphone has impressed me like the Sennheiser HD201. I find them immensely enjoyable. They work with in pretty much any system, and sound great with pretty much anything. They may be only $20, but I find myself listening to them a lot.  I can use them without fear of breaking them, which is also a plus. They are the de-facto phone I recommend to newbies.

I think what I enjoy about the HD201 is that they are so midrange oriented. The bass and treble don't overpower the sound. The midrange comes through nice and clear. The SR325 can be too bright and the DX1000 too midbassy. But the HD201 is midrange monster. No superfluous bass or treble to mess things up. Don't get me wrong, the SR325 and DX1000 are better in many ways (detail, soundstage), but the HD201 tickles my fancy.

So I've decided that I must be a midrange kind-of-guy. I thinking of selling my DX1000/SR325/Stax and buying a basically a better HD201 type of phone.

Basically, what phone will be give me the HD201 sound signature (ie- midrange oriented, no superflous bass or treble) - is but even better? Is there such a phone?

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 14
Read through the DT48 thread - there's a chance you'd appreciate them.  Others you should look at would be the K-240DF and the K-501.

But re-reading your post, it seems like the K-501 might be a good fit for you.  They have some of the sweetest mids at any price.  They're also reasonably available if you look around, the prices aren't bad and they're some of the most comfortable headphones you'll find.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 14
Do some research on Audio Technicas. They are some of the best headphones for vocal and mid emphasis. I recommend researching the AD2000, W1000(with a tube amp), W1000x, ESW9A, ESW10JPN

I have not heard anything play vocal jazz, acoustic, and pop better than with ATHs. Denon D7000 (too much bass, a bit sibilant) and Grado SR325i(also too bright) is what pushed me to Audio Technicas.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Do some research on Audio Technicas. They are some of the best headphones for vocal and mid emphasis. I recommend researching the AD2000, W1000(with a tube amp), W1000x, ESW9A, ESW10JPN

I have not heard anything play vocal jazz, acoustic, and pop better than with ATHs. Denon D7000 (too much bass, a bit sibilant) and Grado SR325i(also too bright) is what pushed me to Audio Technicas.

Hmmm....your suggestion of Audio-Technica took me to the HeadRoom website....

Look what I found, doing a quick comparison between the W5000 ($1000) and the HD201 ($20):

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=123&graphID[]=473

Seperated at birth?

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 14
Uncle Erik, believe me, I have read through parts of the DT48 thread. I'm very interested in what you have to say :)

Aug 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 14
I second the AT recommendation.  They are usually very mid-foward, more so than the 325is.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 14
Anyone think the B&W P5 might cure my affliction?

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 14
Maybe you would want to try out a vintage orthodynamic? They are often mid-centric. Especially the Yamahas have nice mids (Although personally I prefer the PMB orthodynamics, more people seem to prefer the Yamahas). There is, I think, some coloration to the mids though.
(But with the new planar magnetics having arrived, make sure you get them cheap, otherwise it's not so fun if you turn out not to like them - unless someone has already tuned them nicely. The new ones are much better overall, but cost much more also.)
The vintage orthos also need some tuning by yourself to get the sound as you want.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I second the AT recommendation.  They are usually very mid-foward, more so than the 325is.

There are different sorts of being mids heavy. The AT sort is severely coloured and agressive, I think the more cultivated and natural AKG (or DT48, never heared them though) sort is rather what the OP is after when he loves his Senn thingies so much.

I am a mids junky as well, that is where the soul of the music is. My sig shows where I finally ended up. If I hadn't found the MS Pro, I dead sure would have ended up in the vintage AKG corner...

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 14
Fostex T50RP is another choice for a current production ortho at a steal price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back