Heed CanAmp
Apr 25, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #1,771 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been running my CanAmp 24/7 for the past week. Initial impression: piercing highs, but its gone for good now. I don't hear any improvements after the 200 hours burn-in.

In fact i wrote a brief review on my blog: http://yrh0413.net/blog/?p=181. Its not a professional review though. As for comparisons, it beats my 0404 analogue output, my ex LD2+, and the Zhaolu discreet headamp module. Going to send my CanAmp for modding in 2 weeks time (will change all caps to Silmic IIs, probably might involve some drilling).

By the way, can any kind CanAmp owners send me the unmodded circuit picture? I will be very grateful as i don't know how to open my CanAmp and i need to trace the circuit to get the proper parts
frown.gif

nice review, yrh0413
eggosmile.gif

you say: "Currently I’m listening at 12 o’clock volume position", i must say you have "strong" head - usually i don't go further than 9h30 !!! and only for few minutes
rolleyes.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #1,772 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review, yrh0413
eggosmile.gif

you say: "Currently I’m listening at 12 o’clock volume position", i must say you have "strong" head - usually i don't go further than 9h30 !!! and only for few minutes
rolleyes.gif

Lolz, its because i set the volume at -20dB on my fb2k. -20dB is 1/3 of the max volume. If i max out the volume on my fb2k, my 0404 will have clipping issues.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #1,773 of 2,784
I run my AKG 240 at three oclock lol. Man are they hard driven. I run my 750 at 3 oclock. My 750 is already burned in so I am saving them a bit. Also saving my Elite PRO running from my Audigy 2. Anyway I should soon be at the 200h though I kind of lost count of the days lol.

Otherwise yeah you have to be careful with the volume. It´s easy to ge numb ears lol.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #1,774 of 2,784
Quote:

anyone? i'm sending my CanAmp to a friend of mine for modding but he needs to trace the circuit before he can order the parts for me. And i don't know how to pry open mine (and i scared i cannot assemble them back together!)
tongue.gif

Hi Guys!

I just have to bring up the obvious... but you guys know your 3 year warranty is out the window as soon as you start changing things inside these amps, right?

Not being confrontational. It's just important to me that in your excitement, this detail is not overlooked.

Modding stuff can reap great results. Sometimes, it's hit and miss until you land on the right combination of goodies that help to get the sound the way you like it.

One clear advantage is that there are fellow head-fiers that have gone through the learning curve; the hit and miss of it all and have come up with results that they like and I've seen how they have made this info available to the rest of the group. Pretty cool!
All just part of the fun of it being a hobby.
cool.gif

Happy listening!

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #1,775 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the 650/Heed pairing quite good but needed additional umph in the bass lines and a bit more clarity in the mid range. I was never really sure where this issue came from: the headphones or the amp. What solved it was a Zumobius cable (or others, depending on your preferences).Once I recabled the 650s the pairing was dynamic and lush all at once, which is a beautiful thing to behold.

I will add that in addition to system synergy and burn in there is equipment warm up. In other words when you turn any piece of electronic equipment let it achieve it "normal" operating temperature before doing any critical listening. IMO this can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. I use 30 minutes as a happy medium. Best of luck.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #1,776 of 2,784
Quote:

By the way, can any kind CanAmp owners send me the unmodded circuit picture? I will be very grateful as i don't know how to open my CanAmp and i need to trace the circuit to get the proper parts
frown.gif

so you need to know what parts are in the stock canamp?

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #1,777 of 2,784
Mine picks up a ton of line noise from the wall outlet. The electric plug is two-pronged connected to an adapter. The adapter was also two-pronged. I tried switching it with a three-pronged w/ a ground, but it didn't make any difference. Hooking it up in the house, I get a lot of line noise; hooking it, in the garage, it's dead silent.
frown.gif

I'm probably going to try using it at work. Hopefully, it will have no problems there.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #1,778 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine picks up a ton of line noise from the wall outlet. The electric plug is two-pronged connected to an adapter. The adapter was also two-pronged. I tried switching it with a three-pronged w/ a ground, but it didn't make any difference. Hooking it up in the house, I get a lot of line noise; hooking it, in the garage, it's dead silent.
frown.gif

I'm probably going to try using it at work. Hopefully, it will have no problems there.

Sorry to hear it's so bad in your house. You might try this: http://psaudio.com/products/noiseharvester.asp
I do not carry them, but I know their products to be the real deal. Does not hurt that they have a money back guarantee either. Check them out. Very good products.

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #1,779 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys!

I just have to bring up the obvious... but you guys know your 3 year warranty is out the window as soon as you start changing things inside these amps, right?
cool.gif

Happy listening!

Dan, i'm not really bothered with the 3-years warranty. If anything bad happens, it will cost me 50% of the price of my CanAmp to send it back to Alpar to and fro! If there's a local distributor in my country, for sure i'll treasure and honor the warranty.

I guess it will be alright if i just swap the generic parts to better ones?
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #1,780 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will add that in addition to system synergy and burn in there is equipment warm up. In other words when you turn any piece of electronic equipment let it achieve it "normal" operating temperature before doing any critical listening. IMO this can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. I use 30 minutes as a happy medium. Best of luck.

yeah, i've noticed the same - no earlier than at 15 min mark there is first sign of different sound...

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #1,781 of 2,784
i just dropped a couple of AD843s on a browndog adaptor and installed her in the canamp. had to put a DIP-8 socket in between the browndog and the DIP-8 already soldered on to the board so as to boost the height of the browndog as it was touching the caps at the front of the amp. I don't imagine the effect on sound quality is that detrimental, though I felt it was better than using short runs of wire between the legs and socket

first of all, it works! yay \o/ it could be that the extra capacitance in the modded canamp has the sufficient voltage/current to power these hungry opamps (earlier reports indicated that a stock wouldn't adequately feed them)

secondly, they sound heavenly. going from the AD823 > DY2000 > AD843 has been a very natural and successive progression. as you can probably see, i lean towards the analog devices house sound, with each step being a good improvement over the previous

I feel the jump between the AD823 > DY2000 is probably greater than between the DY2000 > AD843 however there are some things that the AD843s do so well such as crystalline, untarnished highs that don't display a hint of sibilance, and fast, deep and tight bass that going back to the AD823 or any burr brown opamp leaves me in great want

so far my favourite opamp

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #1,783 of 2,784
ah also forgot to mention that the greatest jump was between the NE5532 > AD823

also, the loud pop that happens when i switch off my canamp now is no longer as violent or thumpy with the AD843s in there. I am assuming because they're power hungrier the power bump when the amp is switched off isn't as detrimental

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #1,784 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah also forgot to mention that the greatest jump was between the NE5532 > AD823

also, the loud pop that happens when i switch off my canamp now is no longer as violent or thumpy with the AD843s in there. I am assuming because they're power hungrier the power bump when the amp is switched off isn't as detrimental

I'm still of the opinion to leave the amp on all the time. This way you don't have to wait for it to get to operating temperature, where it will sound its best. When you're ready, it's ready for you!

Just turn the volume all the way down and/or unplug the cans in case of something big getting on the line such as a lightning strike, so you don't loose the cans too. There are good after market power filters that will offer spike protection for such an apllication. Some even have insurance to replace your devices should they get damaged by a spike when using their products.
Just listen to be sure they don't restrict the amp's current draw when you run it with one of them.

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #1,785 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still of the opinion to leave the amp on all the time. This way you don't have to wait for it to get to operating temperature, where it will sound its best. When you're ready, it's ready for you!

And you waste energy by that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back