Heed CanAmp
Apr 27, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #1,787 of 2,784
Yes of course, but for me it's not about the money, but the environment, global warming, you know......

Of course one would think, why would my one little amp make a difference, but then there's 6 billion other people on the planet, who could think like this. It's the small things that add up, and become an issue.

For example: Here in Germany we could put down one big nuclear power plant, if no one would let his TV run in stand by mode....

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #1,788 of 2,784
1. 16v 4700uF Jamicon caps
planned replacement: Nichicon FX 10,000uF 16V

2. 35v 100uF Jamicon caps
planned replacement: 100uF Elna Silmic II

3. 63v 10uF Jamicon caps
planned replacement: 10uF Elna Silmic II

Questions:
1. Will the Nichicon FX series be an overkill? How is it if i get the Elna Slimic II 4,700uF 16V instead?
2. What's the minimum voltage rating required for caps 2 & 3?

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #1,789 of 2,784
d-cee, the large power thump you get when you turn it on and off is related to the DC offset.

as I have noted time and time again the NE5532 produces very high levels of DC offset, around 30-35 mA (the DIY community considers 20 mA to be the absolute maximum safestl evel, although other people say 50 mA is the limit)

since the new opamps you use have much lower DC offset the thump will be lower.

yrh, I'd go for some cheaper caps for the 10,000 ones, as those are power supply caps and not directly in the signal path it won't matter too much...also try getting 25 or 35V caps, those will help.

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #1,790 of 2,784
thanks daggerlee,

these are my proposed mods:
- 16v 4700uF Jamicon caps replaced 10,000uF 35V Panasonic TSHA Al electrolytic cap
- 35v 100uF Jamicon caps replaced by 100uF Elna Silmic II
- 63v 10uF Jamicon caps replaced by 10uF Elna Silmic II
- IN4002 diodes replaced by MUR820
- socketed IC

some other questions:
1. daggerlee you said i should get 25V/35V caps, but do i need to match the voltage value of the stock caps? The 10uF Jamicons are 63V according to d-cee's modding list.
2. Why no one uses the MUR820 as is is superior to the UF4002, acording to the spec sheet?

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #1,791 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you waste energy by that....

Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would imagine the amp/kw usage would be pennies.

Quote:

Yes of course, but for me it's not about the money, but the environment, global warming, you know......

Of course one would think, why would my one little amp make a difference, but then there's 6 billion other people on the planet, who could think like this. It's the small things that add up, and become an issue.

For example: Here in Germany we could put down one big nuclear power plant, if no one would let his TV run in stand by mode....

So noted and yes, a very responsible approach.
Still.... I'll trade a little driving, even an opportunity to drive flat out on the Autobahn, for an amp that is warmed up and ready to listen to anyday.
Well... maybe not... lol

Apr 27, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #1,792 of 2,784
I am waiting for my Canamp. It should be assemled by the next week. I bought the Beyerdynamic DT990 on ebay today (new), and I also managed to get a pair of AKG 701 with about 200 hours use on the same place. Now I only need a pair of sennheiser HD650. I already have a pair of Grado SR225 and Beyerdynamic DT831. I really look forward to find out which combination suits me best.

Apr 27, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #1,793 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So noted and yes, a very responsible approach.
Still.... I'll trade a little driving, even an opportunity to drive flat out on the Autobahn, for an amp that is warmed up and ready to listen to anyday.
Well... maybe not... lol

tongue.gif
There are 3 things which stay on since the day i got them: the refrigerator, my personal computer, and my headphone amp. My CanAmp has been running for 2 weeks on 24/7.

psst... i'm giving it an endurance test!
580smile.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #1,794 of 2,784
Quote:

excellent point and I will not leave my Heed on.

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #1,795 of 2,784
Why leave your computer on? That if anything shows on your power bill
wink.gif

I don´t have a car so I think I can keep burning my Heed in for a while longer
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #1,796 of 2,784
there is a school of thought that believes that there is much less wear and tear on your hard drive if you leave it running as opposed to the wear caused by start up and shut down. this happens to be a large group that believes this.

Apr 28, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #1,797 of 2,784
Hey Wayne,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is a school of thought that believes that there is much less wear and tear on your hard drive if you leave it running as opposed to the wear caused by start up and shut down. this happens to be a large group that believes this.

I agree. But how do you keep it running, though? Most drives spin down automatically if not in use.

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #1,798 of 2,784
Keeping electronic items always on is thought to prolong their life. When you switch on them there is significant current draw and transients through components till they equilibrate to stable status. Though this can be few seconds, it is known to stress up the components and more you subject parts to this huge stress lesser will be the life span. So it is well known the electronic gear have better life, when they are switched on always.
But this can be counter-productive if one does not use proper power conditioning in the power supply and not to forget the effect on environment.

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #1,799 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Wayne,

I agree. But how do you keep it running, though? Most drives spin down automatically if not in use.

Hey Charles, I think this school finds spinning down is still less stressful than completely off.

Apr 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #1,800 of 2,784
the school is not to let your harddrive go in stand by mode after 30 minutes then spin up again. Of course hard drives is more healty in off mode. So it doesn´t make sense let them run 8 hours a night or something it shortens the life time of the harddrives for sure.

What you really never should do though is to switch off your computer and then switch it on before the harddrives have stopped spinning. Of course it don´t kill them instantly but not good in the long run
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back