Heed CanAmp
Mar 4, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #1,066 of 2,784
Thanks, d-cee!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mind if I forward it along to Zsolt at Heed as grist for the next gen?

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #1,068 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, d-cee!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mind if I forward it along to Zsolt at Heed as grist for the next gen?

hehe yeah no worries, it's nearly an extra AUD$100 in parts alone but i don't imagine labour would be too difficult with a bit of board re-layout, or implementing under-side components into the design (probably a big no no) but yeah, it is such a devilishly straight forward design you almost kick yourself and say... "now why didn't i think of this"

but yeah, all my mods are pink floyd inspired, and then some - i trust pink floyd's judgement on the improvements that are brought with the extra capacitance in both quality and quantity and caught the mod bug before i had even taken delivery of my canamp loL!

hehe, also in some of the photos you can see the big polyprops peeking out the side of the board or underneath the board through one of the air vents for the heat sinks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #1,070 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dexdexter you can also ask Zolt to visit PinkFloyd's site for a bunch of mods. I will PM you his web address.

Hi mrarroyo, could you give the PFloyd's web address? it's not that I want to do something with CanAmp, I'm no good for that at all, but I'd like to know what kind of changes can be made, for how much and what would be the SQ gain... just in case, probably for future (I could ask someone to do it for me)...
Or may be I'll wait till Heed guys will make another SS amp with as much tube quality as possible for SS amp...
tongue.gif
There is a rumour about this possibility. I hope it'll take a few years though - I don't want to part with my dear CanAmp...
eggosmile.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #1,071 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After the long wait, my Canamp finally arrived.

I've been comparing amps all afternoon. My first impression, listening to Hooverphoinic's "We All Float", Koop's "Come to me", The Shins', "Girl Sailor" and Lizz Wright's "Hit The Ground", with my DT880s, is that the Canamp is a very clean sounding SS amp, but IMHO it doesn't have the impact, presence, sound stage, bass response or realism of a Woo3 or M^3.

If I had to try to describe the difference, I would say that where the Woo3 sounds like Lizz Wright singing, the Canamp sounds like a very clean accurate recording of Lizz Wright singing. Maybe this is what analytical is?
confused.gif

This, of course, is only after a few hours of play and if burn in exists, this Canamp is certainly not burned in by any means.

I will be trying my HD650s later on tonight and will update on that.

I will be bringing this set up to the NYC meet Sat, so anyone who wants to, can hear it for themselves.

YMMV and probably will.
3000smile.gif

USG

I've had about 50 hours of "burn in" on my amp, and my conclusions are pretty close to yours when using HD600s - it sounds very clean, with nice separation and imaging, but there seems to be a little bit of life missing.

For comparison, I currently have a Darkvoice 336i and have previously owned an M^3, Gilmore Lite and Pimeta. The HEED sounds great and seems to be a great bargain, but I still feel like it's missing the weight/realism that the Darkvoice provides the HD600s or that the M^3 provided my HD580s when I owned them. I'm going give it more time - I'm skeptical of burn-in of solid state electronics (at least of the type that could make it sound like a different amp) but I'll give it a shot anyway - so far though, the Darkvoice is winning the race for me.

This may all sort itself out pretty soon though, as I'm about to graduate and will have bar review courses, bar exam fees and rent to pay for while not working for a few months - might have to put the rig(s) up on the F/S forum (back to Team Speakers First!). At least it makes the choice somewhat simpler when you really have no choice at all
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #1,072 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had about 50 hours of "burn in" on my amp, and my conclusions are pretty close to yours when using HD600s - it sounds very clean, with nice separation and imaging, but there seems to be a little bit of life missing.

If you can hang in there for another 150 hours, I believe you will be very pleasantly surprised.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #1,073 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhw /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For comparison, I currently have a Darkvoice 336i and have previously owned an M^3, Gilmore Lite and Pimeta. The HEED sounds great and seems to be a great bargain, but I still feel like it's missing the weight/realism that the Darkvoice provides the HD600s or that the M^3 provided my HD580s when I owned them. I'm going give it more time - I'm skeptical of burn-in of solid state electronics (at least of the type that could make it sound like a different amp) but I'll give it a shot anyway - so far though, the Darkvoice is winning the race for me.

This may all sort itself out pretty soon though, as I'm about to graduate and will have bar review courses, bar exam fees and rent to pay for while not working for a few months - might have to put the rig(s) up on the F/S forum (back to Team Speakers First!). At least it makes the choice somewhat simpler when you really have no choice at all
frown.gif

Hi Dhw

I listened to this Darkvoice with my DT880s and HD650s, at the NY meet yesterday and agree with your evaluation regarding, weight/body/slam/impact etc, but would like to note that the Darkvoice has it's own particular sound signature. M8o and I were able to compare my Woo3 with the Darkvoice using the analog output of his portable DVD player as a source, and I think that we both felt the Woo3 had a dryer, more realistic, but less dynamic (in terms of raw slam) and involving sound. I now understand why the Darkvoice has the following it does.
eggosmile.gif

Unfortunately, I heard too many other things I now want to get (
evil_smiley.gif
), so the Heed might be leaving even before it's fully burnt in. That's one of the problems of getting something new right before a meet.... .
280smile.gif

Regards

USG

orig.jpg

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #1,074 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi mrarroyo, could you give the PFloyd's web address? it's not that I want to do something with CanAmp, I'm no good for that at all, but I'd like to know what kind of changes can be made, for how much and what would be the SQ gain... just in case, probably for future (I could ask someone to do it for me)...
Or may be I'll wait till Heed guys will make another SS amp with as much tube quality as possible for SS amp...
tongue.gif
There is a rumour about this possibility. I hope it'll take a few years though - I don't want to part with my dear CanAmp...
eggosmile.gif

I sent you a PM with the website address.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #1,077 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USG, nice meeting you at the Adria. I was curious what you are planning to replace your Heed with? Sure you don't want to wait the requisite 200 hours before pulling the plug?

Hi dw

Nice meeting you too.... it was a great meet wasn't it?

Those Ultrasones of yours are intense headphones.
basshead.gif
What model are they?

I liked the EarMax Pro that the fellow along the window had, but I didn't listen to it long enough. Rays HR2. Mikhail's PPX-3. But sitting next to Nate, I caught the DIY bug....

check this out:http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm

this just may be my next project...
rs1smile.gif

USG

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #1,078 of 2,784
I was able to try ATH-AD2000 with the CanAmp at the NY Regional Meet (3-3-07). If I had to be really critical about it, I'm not so sure it was a very synergistic pairing. The CanAmp did open up the soundstage and pushed more "airspace" around instruments on the AD2K, but IMO, that's not something that really needs to be done for the AD2K. I'm also not sure of the current delivery, I don't know how the specs of the amp and the headphones match up.

Until I can get a critical listening session in, I'm going to have to say that the CanAmp is not an ideal amp for the AD2K - it didn't take anything away, and the one thing I noticed it inflected was a very preferential result.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #1,079 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was able to try ATH-AD2000 with the CanAmp at the NY Regional Meet (3-3-07). If I had to be really critical about it, I'm not so sure it was a very synergistic pairing. The CanAmp did open up the soundstage and pushed more "airspace" around instruments on the AD2K, but IMO, that's not something that really needs to be done for the AD2K. I'm also not sure of the current delivery, I don't know how the specs of the amp and the headphones match up.

Until I can get a critical listening session in, I'm going to have to say that the CanAmp is not an ideal amp for the AD2K - it didn't take anything away, and the one thing I noticed it inflected was a very preferential result.

Hi Asr

Did you get any CANAMP listening time with my HD650s or DT880s? If you did, I'd be curious what your thoughts were.

I hope you had a pleasant trip home today.

USG

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #1,080 of 2,784
Hey USG, thanks, my flight back was ok, got very tiring towards the end though (ran out of stuff to do/read, couldn't sleep anymore, got bored out of my skull).
tongue.gif

In regards to your question, I purposely avoided headphones I hadn't heard before and wasn't familiar with (when listening to the amps I hadn't heard before), that includes the HD650 and the 2003 DT880. So no, I didn't use those with the CanAmp. There was a 2006 DT880 floating around but I've lost intimate knowledge of its sound signature, and the only unbalanced K701 I saw didn't sound like mine, so my references were limited to the AD2000 and K601 (which I forgot about).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back