Heed CanAmp
Mar 5, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #1,081 of 2,784
HEY EVERYONE -

I WOULD LIKE TO ECHO THE HEARING WARNING THAT SOMEONE POSTED ABOUT EARLIER IN THIS THREAD.

THE CANAMP IS FULLY CAPABLE OF PLAYING CLEAN, CLEAR, DISTORTION FREE MUSIC, AT VOLUMES THAT CAN AND WILL DAMAGE YOUR HEARING.

WHILE EXPLORING IT'S LIMITS TODAY, I FOUND IT EASY TO GRADUALLY INCREASE THE VOLUME TO ROCK CONCERT LEVELS AND BEYOND. WHILE MOST AMPS I HAVE LISTENED TO BEGIN TO CLIP OR SOUND UNPLEASANT AT OR NEAR DANGEROUS LEVELS, THIS IS NOT TRUE WITH THE CANAMP.

I HAD NO IDEA HOW LOUD IT WAS UNTIL I TOOK OFF MY HEADPHONES AND HEARD THAT "WALKING OUT OF A ROCK CONCERT SILENCE" IN MY EARS.

I'M SURE AT LEAST SOME OF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
evil_smiley.gif

IT'S LIKE YOU'RE A LITTLE DEAF AND THE ONLY THING YOU'RE HEARING IS A SLIGHT RINGING IN YOUR EARS.

BE CAREFUL !

USG

edit to make it quieter

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #1,083 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular reason for typing in all caps upstateguy?

It's normal - he is now deaf, so he tends to shout.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #1,084 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular reason for typing in all caps upstateguy?

Well, I thought since it was a sort of a warning, it should be in all caps so it would be more visible... no?
confused.gif

As a matter of fact, as I look it over now, not only did I use all caps, but I used bold caps, and in two places ....
evil_smiley.gif

Maybe we don't need a warning after all. Humm, the edit button still works.... we'll see...
icon10.gif

USG

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #1,086 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BE CAREFUL !

GOOD ADVICE, USG !
smack.gif

It really can sneak up on you. Yesterday, I lowered the output voltage of my CD player (Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000) from 2.5V to 1.25V, in order to get a little more volume pot travel from my CanAmp (as well as my preamp in my Hi-Fi setup), since my PROlines are 40 Ohms.

I closed my eyes and just kept bumping the volume up gradually while the sound quality just got sweeter and sweeter with no let-up in sight. When I opened my eyes, I realized that the knob was between 1 & 2 o'clock.

Holy cow! When I removed my cans, I had that very same post-concert sensation that you described above. The power under the hood of this beastie seems truly infinite and can easily seduce one into listening above sensible levels.

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #1,087 of 2,784
Quote:

HUH ???
WHACHA SAY ???
I DIDN'T HEAR YA !!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

LOL! Actually, this problem is not unique to the Heed CanAmp. It's a headphone vs speaker issue - with headphones, you don't get distortions until it's insanely loud. It just doesn't give you the usual que that you're about to kill your ears. I bet a lot of people will go deaf early from using uamped iPods - especially if they're not using noise isolating IEMs on public transport.

With speakers, you know it's going crazy because you can "feel" the bass hit you (and your neighbours will come over to hit you too).

If you're using your iPod as source, try using the volume limiter feature. I set mine at about 2/3rds of the usual max volume. And BUY IEMS for listening on the go. I can't believe how many people are using the stock iBuds!

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #1,088 of 2,784
Yes, the CanAmp seems to encourage higher listening levels because it sounds so damn good, the soundstage seems to really improve, you gotta be careful.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #1,089 of 2,784
Dexdexter,d-cee,
I changed into the route where CanAmp is bought from the route
Where X1HA-EPC is bought.
Special Thanks for giving good information for me of the English reading
and writing hardship person.

m(_ _)m A bow of thanks

Mar 5, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #1,091 of 2,784
Quote:

Hi dw

Nice meeting you too.... it was a great meet wasn't it?

Those Ultrasones of yours are intense headphones.
basshead.gif
What model are they?

I liked the EarMax Pro that the fellow along the window had, but I didn't listen to it long enough. Rays HR2. Mikhail's PPX-3. But sitting next to Nate, I caught the DIY bug....

check this out:http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm

this just may be my next project...
rs1smile.gif

USG

Ultrasone 2500. I like them better each day I own them. Very different from the 650s and 701s I also play with. SLogic technology "works" for me with the Heed/Microdac
combo. I find the highs smooth and the bottoms liquid and
only once in a great while, a bit metallic in the upper registers but not enough to be a bother. What was Steve's sig: Nice guy.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #1,092 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone 2500. I like them better each day I own them. Very different from the 650s and 701s I also play with. SLogic technology "works" for me with the Heed/Microdac
combo. I find the highs smooth and the bottoms liquid and
only once in a great while, a bit metallic in the upper registers but not enough to be a bother. What was Steve's sig: Nice guy.

Hey W

Had to go look up SLogic to see what it did.... humm, interesting... is your micro DAC NOS like my DAC-AH or an up-sampler like the Zhaolu I had at the meet?

If you mean the Steve I was sharing a table with, it's Asr.

E

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #1,094 of 2,784
How does one measure volume (dbs for the listener) at any one time? I suppose a Radio Shack db meter is not the answer because of the headphone seal to the ear.

Oh ya, I ordered a Heed last Friday.

Since I am just starting out here, I needed an amp in the short term. Bought a used X-Can in the for sale thread.

Senn 600 is my current headphone. Ten years old or so and I am breaking them in this week.

I try to listen under 90 db on the big rig, which is still loud to me.

Now that I have posted in this thread I can continue my newbie journey.

vf

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #1,095 of 2,784
Looks like I'll be joining the Heed Crew. Need something to compare my MG Head and TBH to...

Why oh why is this hobby so addictive?

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back