Heed CanAmp
Mar 9, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #1,128 of 2,784
they're supposed to delivery plenty of current for the low impedance phones

unfortunately i've got no low impedance phones except my KSC-75s

hmm... that's an idea

/me looks for the 3.5mm > 6.3mm adaptor!

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #1,132 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by renesis_au /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the CanAmp pair with low impedence phones like the W5000 considering they were voiced with high impedence cans like the HD600 in mind?

My Ultrasone PROline 2500s and 750s are both 40 Ohms like the W5000, and the Heed drives them like a champ.

If you manage to wade a little further into the thread, you'll discover my account of how the CanAmp developed over the burn-in period with my PROlines and also lots of impressions about the special synergy it has with the K-701s, another lower impedance, difficult to drive pair of cans.

To say that the CanAmp was "voiced" with the HD600 in mind is kind of misleading.

I had the opportunity to spend some time with Heed designer Zsolt Huszti at the Bristol Sound & Vision Show recently. He confirmed that yes, the HD600 were the headphones he had on hand at the inception of the CanAmp.

But he also emphasized that he considers himself first and foremost a loudspeaker designer so any amplification that he designs springs from that particular heritage. Consequently, the CanAmp was created to address almost any dynamic headphone possibility, with enough spare power to even drive efficient loudspeakers!
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #1,134 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by renesis_au /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the CanAmp pair with low impedence phones like the W5000 considering they were voiced with high impedence cans like the HD600 in mind?

The CanAmp drives my 32 ohm HF-1 with ease, but the noise floor isn't totally silent (still not sure if this is a feature of the canamp or my house's electrical supply). However, as soon as the music starts, i can't tell there's any hiss, but it's something to bear in mind, especially if you have easier to drive headphones than mine (i tried some cheap sony buds that i had lying around, and the hiss was quite prominent).

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #1,135 of 2,784
The noise floor would be a worry of mine as well, since I would expect that it would be silent or nearly silent. I would think that the W5000's are very efficient headphones, hopefully someone else can chime in here with experiences with AT headphones and the CanAmp.

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #1,137 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No noise-floor issues to speak of with my PROlines.

Does it mean that there is no noise floor (completly black), or that you are just not bothered by it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back