Heed CanAmp
Jan 2, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #767 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose the word "hype" was a bit of a flashpoint, Daryn, as it might imply promotion without direct experience or some ulterior agenda. This impressive thread, however, is filled with substantiated impressions from folks who have parted with their hard-earned and have been well-pleased by the CanAmp's performance. So it has indeed "lived up to the hype", as it were, in the very best sense.

Yes, exactly. My comment was more along the lines of "Wow, it's come a long way" but not properly worded so to speak. Had I not just burned the hell out of my chicken teryaki, perhaps I would've been more concentrated on it. Basically, it was an amp sitting on a shelf for a long time and was rightfully picked up by a few key members. From there, it spread like wildfire. It's just kind of amazing to see how far it's come from obscurity. Ich bin ein berliner and all that junk.

There have been countless threads on Head-fi promoting items that are barely heard spare for two people, and there's a backlash to every one. I think we are waiting for that, but given feedback, the Heed is such a great bargain at it's price that it simply isn't too much of an issue.

I think a LOT of people here have been burned on various budgeted outings to drive the K701 (myself included) and this would finally deliver in that regard.

Various part number from digikey:

UF4007CT-ND (ultra fast diodes, x4)
P6664-ND (Panasonic 35v 10,000uf, x2)
604-1065-ND (Elna Silmic II, 35v 100 uf, x2)

You can go elsewhere to obtain further mod info, but alas I can't advertise it. Again, if you're new like me, go to Radioshack and pick up a 15w-30w soldering iron, stand, solder, braid, desoldering pump, tip tinner, some practice parts, and have at it. With just a little practice, it's very easy, and it'll set you back maybe 30 bucks.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #768 of 2,784
I assume from your post that you have 701s. You will be more than amazed at
the pairing with the Heed. The now famous 3D layered soundstage takes on a life of its own with this combo. Clarity and instrument track separation is startling at times.

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #769 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume from your post that you have 701s. You will be more than amazed at
the pairing with the Heed. The now famous 3D layered soundstage takes on a life of its own with this combo. Clarity and instrument track separation is startling at times.

I've come to discover through extensive listening that before an amp, you really need a good DAC for the 701's. That way if the amp in any way falls short, you at least have more separation. However, with the Canamp, people have made a point of stating how good it is with the K701 and express the exact sentiment as mine when it comes to powering them. It sure as hell won't have problems once the caps are switched out.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #770 of 2,784
I use a Headroom Microdac with my Heed. We will all be, at the very least,
curious about your pending "tinkering". You may want to use the amp for a good
month before doing so. That is what the Heed people have recommended.

Jan 2, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #771 of 2,784
Been using the Heed for over a month now and it's been permanently on since opening - burning in nicely. Just received a Xin Supermacro IV LE and I have to say, it sounds better out of the box than the Canamp to my ears with my only phones at the moment - Shure IEMs.

The Heed was gorgeous to listen to, but the SMIVLE is heavenly.

My Grado BDGS-1000s should be here next week so looking forward to some more comparisons.

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #772 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Heed was gorgeous to listen to, but the SMIVLE is heavenly.

OK folks, time to turn out the lights on this thread, the CanAmp is officially over!
tongue.gif

But seriously, Cuppa, congrats on the Xin; from what I've read, it would be my choice for a portable if money were no object.

I have no experience with IEMs, but I look forward to your further impressions with some real headphones, heh-heh!
280smile.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #774 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've come to discover through extensive listening that before an amp, you really need a good DAC for the 701's. That way if the amp in any way falls short, you at least have more separation. However, with the Canamp, people have made a point of stating how good it is with the K701 and express the exact sentiment as mine when it comes to powering them. It sure as hell won't have problems once the caps are switched out.
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the confirmation, that source and its recorded material, is important as to the 701s and amplifier of choice, case in point the CanAmp, reproducing "seperation" attack and decay, deep bass and extended highs, and even soundstage, IE all of those audiophile neuances to the musics presentation a great system reproduces. Which the amplifier also must have these capabilitys to reproduce with volume (read: fuller) as you state the Heed does apparently in your system. This is always good to repeat and to be kept in mind, in terms of expectations and benefits a given amplifier (or Headphones) will achieve when added to a given "system".

(Also noted, the synergy between amplifier/ transducers compatibility in the example of IEMs above being better suited to an amplifier built for that purpose, the term "impedance match" comes to mind.)

EDIT: Wayne, a call to Dan this week is due, and I'll report back...

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #776 of 2,784
just got an email from alpar @ heed and this is what he said regarding availability

Quote:

Rough ETA? We MUST complete the next batch during the coming week (especially because of backlog from the last 10 days), so I guess I also get my lot in Frankfurt around the 15-17th of Jan. I'll send out yours very next thereafter. And then, based on experience, it takes ca. 7-10 days via DHL/Deutsche Post to get a sending carried forward to Australia.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #779 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get yourself the new Xenos 1HA-EPC (portable) to get you through. Dex, I just received one today and it is absolutely fabulous

Heh-heh! Nice one, Wayne, can't wait to hear all about it! I'm still enjoying discovering my Go-Vibe for the mo'.
wink.gif

Are you gonna step up to fill Andr*a's shoes and become the new Xenos/op-amp bully?
rofl.gif
38786-6.gif
f_doh.gif
force.gif

Cheers, Dex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back