Heed CanAmp
Jul 10, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #2,281 of 2,784
Ok tried it now and I don´t think I believe in burn in for amplifiers. Well not past the first 20 hours anyway... Not this one anyway. They sounded to eachother exactly what I remembered some months ago.

Nothing changed apparently by using the Heed for 2 months or something. Still kind of uncertain which sounds better lol. Only tried music so far but as before the Pimeta do feel faster and tighter especially at low volume. If you crank the Heed up it gets closer
smily_headphones1.gif

So I guess I should sell it but then I found some damn practical about it. It´s preamp output or what it´s called. I hook my audio cables up to that to my buttkicker gamer. Then I don´t have to use a splitter with a very poor rca cable that mess up the audio and give hisses. Very conveniently since I have both an 360 and a PC and thus the Ysplitter don´t help when using the Xbox 360 otherwise.

And it is damn stylish looking too and it does like the pimeta output really clean sound even at loud volumes.

I have only tested with cd quality music from my best recordings I would like to test this uncompressed sound files as well? Anyone have a good recording so I can compare with
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #2,282 of 2,784
from my experience, my stock Heed loses to a PPAv2.
smily_headphones1.gif
oh well, the PPAv2 is like USD200 cheaper than the Heed.

but please don't get me wrong; i'm still sticking with my Heed (and this would be my last commercial amp!)

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #2,283 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from my experience, my stock Heed loses to a PPAv2.
smily_headphones1.gif
oh well, the PPAv2 is like USD200 cheaper than the Heed.

but please don't get me wrong; i'm still sticking with my Heed (and this would be my last commercial amp!)

Wow, I could hardly hardly believe that there would even be a comparison between a discrete diamond buffer output stage in Class-A and a single transistor running in Class-A.

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #2,284 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I could hardly hardly believe that there would even be a comparison between a discrete diamond buffer output stage in Class-A and a single transistor running in Class-A.

just shows how subjective sound is lol. But anyway what I was hoping was that I would get a sound quality increase that you just couldn´t go around when you get these premium amps over those cheaps.

I mean that even if you wouldn´t like the colouration you would feel the cleaner sound or something
tongue.gif
. I do sense more bass but then I do sense more mudiness at the same time...

That was what I expected anyway. But then my ears didn´t detect much wrong with my previous amp so I don´t really know why I expected so much out of it.

From my experience these (now I guess some ton´t even see the Heed and other 300 euro amps as HI FI) is probably only for those professionals that listening critically to recordings several hours a day or simply has much better ears then me lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #2,285 of 2,784
I've been thinking about getting the Beyer DT880/600s from their manufacture site and am also in need of an amp. I read some earlier posts saying the Heed reinforces the highs. I prefer a bit of a bright sound signature (JM Labs Cobalt speakers were almost perfect for me) but wouldn't want it to be glaring so would the Heed give it too much on the highs given my preference?

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #2,286 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yup, it got pretty nasty when someone gave bold remarks like "Heed pawns GS-1" etc!

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #2,287 of 2,784
Uhm... you might have misunderstood me then. The Heed is an opamp followed by a single transistor buffer running in class-a at around 100mA of current. The PPAv2 has a full discrete diamond buffer output stage, most people set theirs at 25 - 30 mA. I can definitely imagine getting nasty about hearing "Heed pawns GS-1", the Dynalo is a great amp. As for the Heed, hell, I'll make a CMOY, throw in a pair of these DB139's and see if I like it. Should be the same.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #2,288 of 2,784
Having both the stock and modded Heed, I wanted to compare them using different opamps. I have tried the following: NE5532, LM4562, and AD823. I tried getting the Signetics NE5532, but I couldn't find it available at Digikey or Newark. I settled on the Texas Instruments version.

NE5532
It sounded flat and uninspiring. The bass was a bit muddy and lacked impact. Did not sound anything like the stock Heed.
frown.gif
Music lacked body and definition; into the garbage it went.

LM4562
Sound geared toward higher frequencies. Very detailed, but many tracks sounded harsh and sibilant. Strange, because I rather like the sound of it in my Pimeta. But it doesn't fare too well in the Heed, I couldn't listen to it for very long.

Modded w/ AD823 vs. Stock
Originally, I planned to compare some more opamps, but the location of the opamp socket is quite narrow, making it hard to swap. I ruined a pair of tweezers trying to swap one out. I stopped with the AD823.

EMU 0404 USB => Stock canamp || Modded Heed => K701 || Proline 750

The modded Heed had noticeably more slam. Snares and drum beats hit with more energy and is better defined. Modded Heed has a more forward presentation, midrange a bit fuller. Stock Heed sounds slightly veiled in comparison. Aside from the bass, the differences weren't very dramatic. Switching from the stock to the modded, the slight differences were more noticeable, but vice-versa, the differences were harder to discern. The Canamp might not be the most accurate sounding amp, but it does sound fun. I think I would be happy with either verson; but add the fact that the modded one exhibits less EMI/RFI noise, that's the one I'm going to keep.

Jul 16, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #2,289 of 2,784
Hi,
I was reading this post here, and was wondering if this would have any relevance to the Canamp.

Here's what the post says:

Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be aware that the [sound]card puts out about 30millivolt D.C. with stock op amp at output with the coupling caps shorted. This may not seem like a lot & in most cases its not but if you have D.C. coupled amps upstream without D.C. offset compensation you can cause the amp to over heat & possably damage you amp & speakers.

Is the Canamp D.C coupled, and if it is, does it have D.C. offset compensation?

Thanks.

Aug 2, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #2,290 of 2,784
wow, 115 pages . . . . reading that took long enough to burn in my CanAmp
(not really, it was pre-burned-in by previous owner)

k701smile9ga.gif

And yes it does sound good with K701

Aug 2, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #2,292 of 2,784
hehe team heed still growing
smily_headphones1.gif

i recently added a beefier transformer and added a 3 prong grounded power chord to my canamp.

can't say much by way of sonic improvements, but eh, even after getting the metal DY2000 opamp, the browndogged AD843s still come out on top

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2,293 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe team heed still growing
smily_headphones1.gif

i recently added a beefier transformer and added a 3 prong grounded power chord to my canamp.

can't say much by way of sonic improvements, but eh, even after getting the metal DY2000 opamp, the browndogged AD843s still come out on top

What's the difference between the metal can and the ceramic DY2000 opamp?

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #2,294 of 2,784
OK, well that did not last long . . . . only one week on Team Canamp.
rolleyes.gif

My Canamp has moved on and is heading to it's new home, so not a loss to the team, just a replacement member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back