HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #2,536 of 4,478
HE-6 are not as heavy.
HEDDphones have better treble response, IMHO.
How would you compare the two bass-wise? I already have one HE6 so i know it pretty well, heddphone on the other hand I've only heard the prototype.

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #2,537 of 4,478
I think I'm in a serious dilemma right now. A dealer in my area is offering me an NOS 4-screw HE6 for $1200. Add $500 and I can get the heddphone. Both are very inefficient, both are really heavy. Choices, choices......
To make your decision even more difficult (or easier)...I'm selling my HEDD's for $1400 if you're interested?

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,538 of 4,478
I think I'm in a serious dilemma right now. A dealer in my area is offering me an NOS 4-screw HE6 for $1200. Add $500 and I can get the heddphone. Both are very inefficient, both are really heavy. Choices, choices......

You can find some open box for $1500, so $500 becomes $300. I agree the HE-6 is more comfortable (lol that I would ever say that!). But I was listening to the HEDD the other day and swapped the HE-6 for fun. HE-6 felt light in comparison. Hedd is more efficient, has better bass, and more detail. HE-6 has one region in the vocal area that is still really special, though. My pair is modded (bass lens, open grill, Dekoni hybrid pads).

But bottom line, I would go for the HEDD, especially since you already have an HE-6, and I think the 4 screw is supposed to have less bass?

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #2,539 of 4,478
Wow...the HE6 is incredibly hard to drive, so if u go that route make sure you have an amp that can light them up!!
Also the HEDD's can be had for a lot less if you know where to look....

After listening to them both the HEDD's suit my listening preference better.
Bass with the HEDD's is explosive with a good amp.

Alex

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,540 of 4,478
Wow...the HE6 is incredibly hard to drive, so if u go that route make sure you have an amp that can light them up!!
Also the HEDD's can be had for a lot less if you know where to look....

After listening to them both the HEDD's suit my listening preference better.
Bass with the HEDD's is explosive with a good amp.

Alex

Woo Audio WA5 2nd Gen (or the LE) on High power, high gain, low impedance setting delivers that incredible bass control and gigantic slam with the HEDD, and the best I've heard so far, even better than the GSX-MK2. I suggest not to pair the HEDD with the GSX-mini as it doesn't give the HEDD justice in the bass department (and across the frequency board for that matter) than both those two amps. Worst DAC/amp I've heard the HEDD to my preferences is the Hugo TT2 's HP out: way too weak for HEDD to wake it up.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,542 of 4,478
Worst DAC/amp I've heard the HEDD to my preferences is the Hugo TT2 's HP out: way too weak for HEDD to wake it up.

A new urban legend is born: The TT₂ is «too weak» for the HEDDphone! This despite power reserves outperforming most dedicated headphone amps: 18 W at 8 Ω, 1.15 W at 300 Ω; that will be about 5 W at 42 Ω in balanced mode or 2,5 W single-ended. Add to this that the TT₂'s output stage is possibly the most advanced amplifier design («DX, digital class A») on the planet, a «test run» for Chord Electronic's future amplifier concept announced to offer ultimate neutrality and transparency, the literal wire with gain.

I haven't heard the TT₂, but am a big fan of Chord DACs with their direct-to-DAC headphone outputs. The HEDDphone sounds wonderful on my DAVE, which has far less power reserves. And it still sounds wonderful driven by my Hugo₂.

So it's clear to me that you're about to create a similar myth about how hard to drive it is as has been popular quite a while for the HD 800 – actually an easy load, but a headphone with a characteristic coloration that people have tried to fight with coloring amplifiers (looking for tonal synergies in the sense of compensating flaws). And yes, the HEDDphone also has a characteristic coloration that needs to be taken care of, but using amplifier colorations (= harmonic distortion) for this task is an erroneous path. I for one use a parametric equalizer and get great results with a source/amp that I consider as neutral as it gets – in the interest of ultimate transparency with minimal harmonic distortion. No need for astronomic power reserves in exchange for effective sound quality.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,543 of 4,478
Woo Audio WA5 2nd Gen (or the LE) on High power, high gain, low impedance setting delivers that incredible bass control and gigantic slam with the HEDD, and the best I've heard so far, even better than the GSX-MK2. I suggest not to pair the HEDD with the GSX-mini as it doesn't give the HEDD justice in the bass department (and across the frequency board for that matter) than both those two amps. Worst DAC/amp I've heard the HEDD to my preferences is the Hugo TT2 's HP out: way too weak for HEDD to wake it up.
Really? The TT2 is one of the most powerful headphone amps out there. I'm using the TT2+HMS now with the HEDD and it's very good.

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,544 of 4,478
A new urban legend is born: The TT₂ is «too weak» for the HEDDphone! This despite power reserves outperforming most dedicated headphone amps: 18 W at 8 Ω, 1.15 W at 300 Ω; that will be about 5 W at 42 Ω in balanced mode or 2,5 W single-ended. Add to this that the TT₂'s output stage is possibly the most advanced amplifier design («DX, digital class A») on the planet, a «test run» for Chord Electronic's future amplifier concept announced to offer ultimate neutrality and transparency, the litteral wire with gain.

I haven't heard the TT₂, but am a big fan of Chord DACs with their direct-to-DAC headphone outputs. The HEDDphone sounds wonderful on my DAVE, which has far less power reserves. And it still sounds wonderful driven by my Hugo₂.

So it's clear to me that you're about to create a similar myth about how hard to drive it is as has been popular quite a while for the HD 800 – actually an easy load, but a headphone with a characteristic coloration that people have tried to fight with coloring amplifiers (looking for tonal synergies in the sense of compensating flaws). And yes, the HEDDphone also has a characteristic coloration that needs to be taken care of, but using amplifier colorations (= harmonic distortion) for this task is an erroneous path. I for one use a parametric equalizer and get great results with a source/amp that I consider as neutral as it gets – in the interest of ultimate transparency with minimal harmonic distortion. No need for astronomic power reserves in exchange for effective sound quality.

I have heard it and it’s what I use to drive the Hedd. It is plenty from the HP out but you can use the balanced outputs on the rear for even more power (but not needed).

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #2,545 of 4,478
A new urban legend is born: The TT₂ is «too weak» for the HEDDphone! This despite power reserves outperforming most dedicated headphone amps: 18 W at 8 Ω, 1.15 W at 300 Ω; that will be about 5 W at 42 Ω in balanced mode or 2,5 W single-ended. Add to this that the TT₂'s output stage is possibly the most advanced amplifier design («DX, digital class A») on the planet, a «test run» for Chord Electronic's future amplifier concept announced to offer ultimate neutrality and transparency, the litteral wire with gain.

It's not about being weak rather microdynamics (not macrodynamics or nor details) aren't as good as the amps I've heard to my preferences. You can certainly crank the volume all the way up to ear-splitting levels but the engagement factor (microdynamics) to me wasn't there compared to other two amps that I've demoed using the HEDD. Just my preference based on my listening experience where to me a great synergy will have that "effortless ebb and flow delivery of music" that makes me dig deeper to music in an emotional way. Sadly, TT2's headphone out through the HEDDphones just doesn't synergize to my sonic preferences as well as the Headamp GSX MK2 or even the GSX mini (if strictly solid stage amplification). Keep in mind it's all subjective in this case. I'm pretty sure other headphones will sound better (to my subjective preferences) with TT2's headphone out compared to the other two amps I've demoed, but if you love the way the HEDD sounds to your TT2 then you shouldn't even feel any dissatisfaction from what you're hearing out of the HEDD. BTW, my preferred approach is to let the amp take care of the headphone rather than modify the signal digitally (through software DSP such as PEQ) excluding oversampling filters from HQPlayer or using BluMK2/M-Scaler which IMO a necessity for Chord DACs to sound to their very best in microdynamics and microdetails)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2,547 of 4,478
It's not about being weak rather microdynamics (not macrodynamics or nor details) aren't as good as the amps I've heard to my preferences. You can certainly crank the volume all the way up to ear-splitting levels but the engagement factor (microdynamics) to me wasn't there compared to other two amps that I've demoed using the HEDD. Just my preference based on my listening experience where to me a great synergy will have that "effortless ebb and flow delivery of music" that makes me dig deeper to music in an emotional way. Sadly, TT2's headphone out through the HEDDphones just doesn't synergize to my sonic preferences as well as the Headamp GSX MK2 or even the GSX mini (if strictly solid stage amplification). Keep in mind it's all subjective in this case. I'm pretty sure other headphones will sound better (to my subjective preferences) with TT2's headphone out compared to the other two amps I've demoed, but if you love the way the HEDD sounds to your TT2 then you shouldn't even feel any dissatisfaction from what you're hearing out of the HEDD. BTW, my preferred approach is to let the amp take care of the headphone rather than modify the signal digitally (through software DSP such as PEQ) excluding oversampling filters from HQPlayer or using BluMK2/M-Scaler which IMO a necessity for Chord DACs to sound to their very best in microdynamics and microdetails)

How odd that Hedd demoed at Canjam London with two Hugo2s and considered them a good match

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #2,549 of 4,478
BTW, my preferred approach is to let the amp take care of the headphone rather than modify the signal digitally (through software DSP such as PEQ) excluding oversampling filters from HQPlayer or using BluMK2/M-Scaler which IMO a necessity for Chord DACs to sound to their very best in microdynamics and microdetails)

To each his own – but you don't seem to be aware that an amplifier doesn't «take care» of a sound transducer's tonal balance, it can just mask the tonal flaws with the addition of harmonic distortion and other impurities, hence (audibly!) reduces transparency. This in contrast to a good software equalizer, which can even enhance it (by eliminating masking effects due to dominating frequency bands). Not to forget its beneficial effect on transient response (flattening the amplitude response also means flattening the phase response). It's very much audible! I'm speaking from own experience (from my daily occupation with equalizing), which has resulted in exactly this approach. It started to develop in 2002.

As mentioned, even the Hugo₂ makes the HEDDphone sound fabulous (yes, particularly together with the M Scaler). Microdynamics and microdetails are strenghts of Chord DAC/amps anyway – thanks to the direct signal path and the excellent timing from the DAC –, so I guess the lack of these ingredients in your case is the result of a lack of tonal synergy, relative to your sonic ideal. Which is also explainable by the lack of any masking effect (in terms of the HEDDphone's imperfect amplitude response) from the TT₂, whereas especially tube amps are masters in this discipline; they also add «richness» for those who can't get enough of it.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #2,550 of 4,478
Wow, wasn't expecting this many replies. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

To clarify the situation, the $1200 HE6 is NOS. Brand spanking new 4-screw model with matte finish, so literally first batch among the first batch. Yes I can snag a used pair for $750 if I'm patient, but this is new, 4-screw too. Heddphone on the other hand.....If they do everything better I'd buy them in a heartbeat. But in the last 2 months I've had many users DM me saying that heddphone's bass response isn't as solid as TOTL planars, i.e. LCD4. It's literally the only thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger. If going balanced can somehow improve bass, I'll probably go with the hedd.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back