HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jul 5, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #2,461 of 4,472
Btw does anyone own the Arya?
How do the HEDDphones compare with the Arya?
Search Midfi guy on youtoube. He did a comparison.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #2,463 of 4,472
Btw I also have the hd 540 reference 1 600 ohm version which is wayyyy better than the 650 especially when it comes to timbre and realism!!
Those headphones are so natural sounding, it makes the HEDDphone sounds crappy when it comes to symphonies!!!
If you like this sound signature i'd like to point you to the Quad Era-1. :wink:

I've to go for an audition of the Hedd to figure out it's worth to put nearly as twice the weight for a slightly better/ different tonality.
Time will tell, i guess. :)

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2,465 of 4,472
Gosh I compared to my HD600 the gold standard for 20+ years in the low end price range etc....they dont even come close to the open and lively sound...
An immediate closed in soundstage...thin and not lively at all..

The HEDDS leave them in the dust for sure, yes they are ok, but not even close overall....comfort be dammed!

lol

Alex

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,466 of 4,472
One or another will have noticed the ringing after knocking on the housings. Not a good sign in view of possible consequences. I tried to press my fingers around the inner «rings» of the housings and noticed how the sound became more accurate by doing so. That's when the idea was born to coat this part with some faux leather foil. It's thin, but the effect is enough to cause no further damping with fingers pressing against it. And the sound...

...became so much better – at least that was my perception.

However, the actual source of the ringing was and is the steel grille on the rear. It was my next victim. Some velour foil had to do it. Again: thin, but effective enough to damp the resonance by at least 66%.

HEDDphone with faux leather foil.JPG
HEDDphone with velour-damped grille.JPG

And the sound...

...improved again, at least in my perception. Better impulse control, better transparency...

I would have liked to damp the steel grille from the inside, with some foam pressing against it and at the same time preventing the rear sound waves from bouncing against the circumferential ridges. If I only knew how easy it is to remove it! The now velour foil isn't a definive solution anyway, as it isn't long-term stable enough.

The sound from my pair, still with the help from my (adapted) Neutron EQ...

HEDDphone EQ Curve.JPG

...has developed enormously – no idea which of the components EQ fine-tuning, break-in and damping modification has contributed how much. It is now on par with my HE1000se. Still not as airy and natural, but in exchange stunningly musical – not least due to the unique transient speed and impulse precision that I already knew from AMT tweeters, which finally has also become reality with the HEDDphone's full-range drivers, and this throughout the whole frequency range. The greatest surprise is the quality of the bass. It can absolutely compete with the HE1000se's. The improvements even have reached the soundstage: no more closed-in, and imaging of spatial depth (which wasn't bad at all from the start) has further improved. Moreover, much to my surprise, even the wearing comfort has increased (apart from hot ears during hot weather).

HE1000se: airier, more realistic; HEDDphone: more musical, more magical

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #2,467 of 4,472
HE1000se: airier, more realistic; HEDDphone: more musical, more magical

I don't know about the HE1000Se, but to read this, it seems already to be a very big deal in Europe, if we imagine I bought the Hedd for 1.700€ and HE1000Se are sold at 3.500€ ..:thinking::thinking:. Just to be comparable to such monster, it sounds like a victory for therm.

It would be nice, if from now, prices, for future TOTL models, are based on Hedd's price... and no more higher and higher.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2,469 of 4,472
on another thought:

One thought I had, I am from the old school 2 ch stereo, big speakers in a room etc....

Now with headphones like the BIG HEDDS its getting more like the open room speaker sound...especially with the SR1A's..

Just be careful you might find yourself back in that "room" again!!

:>)

Alex

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,470 of 4,472
SR1A seems to be in another league in terms of sound quality ...
But unfortunately, it's already hard to find a portable way to use the Heddphone, just to feal free at home to listen music anywhere, that I won't even try to listen to the SR1A as it gives less freedom to the listener than watching a 55" LCD TV to seat where you want !!! ....
I can't imagine being totally stucked on a chair near an amp with headphones and nowhere else !!!! I have already chosen speakers and subs for this..

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,471 of 4,472
Well thats why there are over 200+ headphones plus hundreds of IEMS...for those that want portability their are lots of great choices..

But when you want that really great personal experience with TOTL stuff sometimes its in a chair, in a room, in a house, in city, in a country, on a planet...etc

Unfortunately the really good stuff IMO is chair bound...at least for now...

And hell whats the issus of driving down the road with SR1a'S on your head!!

:>)

Alex

Jul 5, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,472 of 4,472
Luckily times are changing really fast !!!! Sony showed the way with their DMP-Z1 and many other are going this way as Astell&Kern, Hiby, iBasso, Centrance, ... to offer freedom inside home's listener and drive almost all TOTL headphones... even I drive an electrostatic KS-H04 and SR-003MKII with a portable M03 amp (not exactly TOTL, but it could be a SR-009MKII if Heddphones wasn't announced last year
For outside home, we all have many ways to go TOTL closed headphones (Focal, Ultrasone, Denon, Sony, ..) and many IEMs (I don't like any) for nearly a decade now...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,473 of 4,472
I have Focal Clears and use them in my "Chair"!! :)

I wouldnt call these portable, but many do....even these IMO are too heavy for portable use..

More like a Koss Porta Pro or KPH30i..

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,474 of 4,472
A chair can be placed either in a living room or office or be a bed in a sleeping room, or be in the garden ... we have no need the system to be portable at all, but it's far more important to be "transportable with sufficient hours of autonomous".
Now, that we can get it for a few years, I won't go back .. I am sorry for the SR1A ... but as good as it can be, I can imagine that some like me won't choose such restricted way to listen to music any more, even if it's far more expensive way.
Basically Headphones can't compete with good speakers, it's important to give freedom and keep a high level of sound to listen.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,475 of 4,472
Many would disagree with the headphones cant compete with speakers...some just prefer headphones. I am ok with that and with speakers as well...speakers for sure dont add to the portability you seek.

I like both, and the headphones even the heavy ones are vastly more portable than most any speaker....:)

But we digress from the threads topic of the HEDD Headphone...

Enjoy your freedom of portable music!!

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back