HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jul 2, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #2,433 of 4,472
My review is up. Compared to the Arya & HD800S, and tried EQ'ing them as well. There seems to be some staunch supporters of this headphone but I'm ready for the flames 👨‍🚒

cover.jpg

Link here

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,437 of 4,472
Day two, I wrote my review, but will wait for few days to see if my opinions change...

I kust put on the Clears again this am after 30 min with the HEDDS...boy they both are EXCELLENT.

Different..in that the overall sound is different, both clear and excellent....I will talk more on this....

Alex

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,438 of 4,472
Well its day two with the Hedds and I have already come to a conclusion that they are really very good. Even with the weight and the need for a good amp to drive them due to their relatively low efficiency.

I am not going to paste a ton of pix, you can see the pix at the start of this thread....mine look the same. The exception would be I have the newer headband with the more extension positions available over the first ones.

So here is my experience:
(apologize for any mis-spellings)

Let me first star out stating I am a headphone addict, one who likes to listen to music with all kinds of transducers hanging off my cranium, small , medium and large...always searching for that perfect reproduction of sound in my head...doing this since the days of Senn HD414s and Koss Pro4A's..been a long ride. So this leads me to the HEDD Headphone with their speaker technology engineered into a set of headphones for the low cost of $1899!

In the past year I have owned and experienced 30+ amps, dacs and headphones. My latest love is the Focal Clears from Focal. One of the best dynamic set of headphones ever, IMO. The wonderful tonality they exhibit is spectacular to me. Then along comes this HEDD AMT thing.....

The specs are:
Efficiency: 87dB SPL for 1mW
Frequency range: 10HZ - 40kHz
Impedance: 42 ohms
Weight: 718 g
Connector : Mini XLR
Cable: 2.2 meter with a 1/4" phono plug (6.3mm)

I usually wait for several months before jumping on new technology when its applied to headphones. The version I have is the lastest with the new headband extension improvement. The driver didnt change with this minor comfort update. These are huge and heavy headphones, yup no getting around that. So I was worried that this might be an issue and for me it turned out not to be! Yeah! They fit my oval head nicely work very well with my reading glasses. No issues with the big thick soft pads.

The design is really simple looking. Elegant to me. Big to me. The first time my wife saw these on me she thought NASA might have hired me for a shuttle launch! They spent a lot of time getting the headband big enough to help distribute the weight, for me it works but others have liked the sound but returned them due to the fit and weight. So the advice here is to audition these first. I would tell you that with any headphone at this price level. Makes sense.

These are open back headphones. They leak a lot of sound. So note that. They are not portable. My HEDD's are nicely finished, excellently built, solid and weighty. According to my seller, there are earpad replacements, no pricing yet.

The ribbon like transducer is folded many times and sometimes you will hear a slight crackling sound when positioning them, this is normal. I only hear this when first putting them on without any sound and I dont hear anything while I am listening or making a minor headphone shift on my head.

Even though the headband is well designed it does not make the 718 grams disappear...the size and heft are felt. But its not as bad as some have stated IMO. I had one two hour session with no issues.

Some reviews and reviewers tout these as a TOTL headphone and compare with others costing more and even comparisons to electrostatic cans. I found these headphones to be very fast, lightning fast transients...ridiculously clear. For less than $2K they IMO are a true value that stand right up there with the best.

So how do they sound and does the weight that some tout as really detrimental play into the overall listening experience?

First of all the headphone has what is called a full range AMT driver, which allows for a very large set of dynamics to be experienced during the listening experience...I am shocked how well these cans work with recordings that have are recorded with a wide set of dynamics. When you listen to a well recorded song, a live performance its like magic...from one end of the spectrum to the other...its all there good or bad. Its like your there on stage.

Listening closely the natural decay of instruments is uncanny real and this adds to the "like live" or "being there" experience.

A prime example of this is Eva Cassidy, her live cd at Blues Alley...so mouth watering clear, clean and like your there. Excellent.

This HEDD headphone has no warmth or added anything for me...its all about faithful reproduction of what inputted into it, the "ole garbage in garbage out" addage. In spades...the AMT drive is designed for accuracy and precision..and it delivers here. Its a very neutral headphone. *But when comaring to the Focal Clears, I do notice some "warmth or thickness added..more below).

It has an uncanny resolving power, all the small stuff comes out, all of it. You instantly will tell if a recording is mediocre or well done, painfully and brutally so. They IMO are very well balanced. The bass is not over exaggerated, nor are the highs accentuated...its all good. When there is bass its there, mids, vocals are spot on, lifelike again if well recorded. Being such a neutral headphone its more of "quality over quanity" is brought out. HEDD seems to have gone after a more neutral and accurate tuning...many times its like your with the band on stage....in Spyrogyra, Freetime, song Freetime in the opening there are small finger cymbals that ring out and throughout the song....hardly ever noticed them with other headphones and with the HEDDs there they are!! Uncanny.

This brings me to piano and how hard it is for this to really sound natural and the decay of the notes....this headphone reproduces piano like"awesome dude"....listening to Albert Lee, Gagged But Not Bound, the piano is sooo real and nice. FLIM and the BB's, George Winston's December is excellently reproduced. Acoutic music matches this headphone very nicely.

The strings on some of the old Beatles tunes like Hard Days Night remastered and I'll Be Back...the guitar strings, vocals and reverberations are reproduced and make you feel your in the recording studio...10/10. MY Focal Clears are really nice here as well. But these HEDD's just take the cake here. Uncanny.

These arent the easiest to drive with their relatively low efficiency. But I have only used the SE provided cable and with a Schiit Jotenheim, Schitt Lyr 3 they were driven very well. I tried the older Schiit Magni 3 for $99 and it also was able to drive these with aplumb. I also used a highly modified old O2 amp, with 3x the current and higher voltage and it drove the heck out of these cans....My favorite was the Schiit LYR 3....but have many more amps to try.

Soundstage and imaging are also first class....wide yes, like a real orchestra across the stage well no, but close. With small bands and more intimate settings its again like being there in the band at times. Uncanny. The depth of the sound, front to back was really noticeable, Bill Whithers, The Best of Bill Whithers, Steppin Right Along...I am in front of Bill, and I can visualize to the rear and the sides...again. Uncanny.

If you want to experience real live music and have instruments sound like instruments as you hear with your ears...these will fill the bill. Anything thats in the music recording you will hear, clearly, precisly, tonally accurate...Uncanny.

These may not be the TOTL killers that some would like them to be, but they are in the running with some of the best out there...heavy yes but IMO worth the price of admission. Uncannly good.

Listening to some more jazzy modern day type of Chet Atkins, yes Chet Atkins for you millenials....President of RCA records famous discoveries of Tommy Emmanual, Dire Straits, Marty Knofler etc....the presentation is so alive and real. Al Dimeola, Kiss My Axe, Global Safari...."Open de-lightful, airy depth of the musical presentation, wow its so "deep" in the sounstage...so very, very clear. No distortion, no sibilance....very well balanced.

The one thing with these TOTL types of headphones is they will allow you to discern any other weakness or issue in your audio chain more easily than lesser resolving headphones. Its a joy and terror to go from one song to another to discover greatness or mediocrity.

Watching the designers video, its mentioned that the reason for the large headphones (spacing) was to add the distance from your ears to the actual transducer to aid in the soundstage etc....well it works. With this and the phenomenal resolution from that fast transient characteristic makes these cans well....Uncanny!

I sent a note to HEDD about replacement earpads and they responed overnight and indicated yes there will be replacement earpads for sale. Pricing not known at this time.

So my beloved Clears have been topped by these respects, but that does not make them ho-hum....they still rank IMO as one of the best examples of a dynamic driver headphone. Its just the HEDD goes even farther with a totally new transducer as far as a realistic experience....

Going back and forth between the Focal Clears, the HEDD's out resolve the Clears, but not by much. The Clears actually sound abit thin compared to the HEDDS, and the overall sound is abit more "clear" with the Clears. Its like the HEDDS actually have a slight warmth compared to the Focals , even though this is supposed to be a very neutral headphone. The HEDD soundstage is just nicer to me...a bit more open....just a bit wider to me. Both are excellent cans and both provide an excellent musical experience...It seems that the HEDD's have to have more "emf" applied to sound as "clear" as the Clears are. I think this is a factor of efficiency...The Clears are so easily driven by most amps IMO and yes I know there are some amps out there specifically designed to drive Clears due to the mechanincal design and suspension of their transducers...

The question here is if you only could have one, which one would it be??? Gosh thats a tough question but IMO it would be ...wait for it....the Clears. Yes. OMG how could that be with all the positives on the HEDDs? Well they cost less (if you get a good deal..and I did $999)...and they are easier to drive. Even though I like the HEDDs very much and will keep them, the Clears still shine even against the upper tier headphones. They are like a nice worn pair of shoes that fit well and do everything so very well. They are my taste.

So I still highly recommend the HEDDs. What they really bring to the table IMO is a wider, more open soundstage. Great for live performances. They deliver and uncanny (have I used this word before!) airiness..makes it like your in the room or on the stage hearing all the room reverbs, sounds bouncing off the walls etc. Like sticking your head into the recording studio and being there. The only negative thing is the weight and fit for some. I am really happy with my short experience so far...written during day two of owning them....

So dont be afraid of new technology, the HEDD's are really a very special headphone that gets most things right....totally enjoy them. Another reason why I own more than one set of headphones!

Alex
:>)

UDPDATE: Day 4+ Some folks state they want more bass from these. I played 20+ hz organ notes/music and was floored with the bass!!! 10/10. That said some add 1-2 dB 60-80hz in Eq to add to this. Also going back and forth with the Focal Clears, the immediate observation with the Clears is now "where did the soundstage go"..Quite noticeable after several days now. Also notice amps like Schiit Jotenheim really help with the "bass" some desire over other SS amps.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,439 of 4,472
I agree with you in comparison of HEDD to Empyreans. I sold my Empyreans about a year ago because they were not satisfying me with the sound. They had two different removable ear pads, but still were lacking. HEDD are better (so are ZMF Verite).
Between the 2 (verite and HEDDphone) which one do u like better?
Also does the timbre of the verite really sound better or the HEDDphone has good enough timbre as well?

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,440 of 4,472
Between the 2 (verite and HEDDphone) which one do u like better?
Also does the timbre of the verite really sound better or the HEDDphone has good enough timbre as well?

I had the HEDDphone as a loaner for a week. The Verite wins down low having more slam and is more articulate. The mids are a near push with perhaps a small edge to the HEDDphone. The HEDDphone pushes this range to the fore so if that is your preference the HEDDphone will be to your liking. The top end is a win for the HEDDphone being clear and bright but not sibilant. Resolution is outstanding. Soundstage is a big win for the Verite. The soundstage of the Verite is adequately wide and high with good depth. The HEDDphone was wide and decently high but for me was completely flat. It felt like everybody was sitting in a line across the stage. No spatial cues front to back made it sound two dimensional. Ergonomically the HEDDphone is a disaster. Due to my preferred listening position I could never find "the ideal listening position" so that even the slightest movement led to crackling noises that could be heard over the music. The design also led to clamping issue under the ears and the headband led to issues on the top of the head. The HEDDphone is a fine sounding piece. The Verite's sound stage and vastly better ergonomics give it a clear edge for me.

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #2,441 of 4,472
Hey guys, so I got my HEDDphone today (woohoo)
So right off the bat, it wasn’t what I thought. It actually sounded a bit muffled and 2D should I say?
But I let it burn in for a little (yes, only a little) so far and it sounds AMMAAZZZINGGGG!!!!!!
These cans can sinnnggggg!!!
Burn in is real for these guys!!!
The only complain I have so far is the freakin weight of these cans!!! It hurts all the time, not just after a half hour or wtvr. Ya, very annoying. But I guess I’ll just have to get used to it. However, they sound so good that it’s still worth it!!!

Oh btw I’m running it off a topping D70 & thx AAA 789 balanced

Jul 3, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #2,442 of 4,472
Yes this headphone is not for everyone when you consider the ergonomics and your listening position. For me I do critical listening with these, they are not my lay down and watch netflix in bed cans....I have others for that.

I do not find the soundstage flat at all...I can easily pick out stuff and the layering indepth is really, really good IMO.

Depending on the recording its like I am there on stage and hear insruments in front, behind and to the sides....the soundstage is not as wide as with HD800;s for sure. They are like super focal clears, with a similar size soundstage...but a bit wider IMO.

The main reason the transducers are so far apart is to help keep the transducers away from your ears to help with this...how well this is implemented is very subjective for sure.

Also when you compare headphones the price is always right there up front as well....$1899 for the Hedds $2500+ for the Veritas...and you can find the Hedds for a lot less if you know where to look which makes it a stellar overall deal...

They wont replace my Clears, but they are very, very good in their own right..

Alex

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #2,443 of 4,472
Yes this headphone is not for everyone when you consider the ergonomics and your listening position. For me I do critical listening with these, they are not my lay down and watch netflix in bed cans....I have others for that.

I do not find the soundstage flat at all...I can easily pick out stuff and the layering indepth is really, really good IMO.

Depending on the recording its like I am there on stage and hear insruments in front, behind and to the sides....the soundstage is not as wide as with HD800;s for sure. They are like super focal clears, with a similar size soundstage...but a bit wider IMO.

The main reason the transducers are so far apart is to help keep the transducers away from your ears to help with this...how well this is implemented is very subjective for sure.

Also when you compare headphones the price is always right there up front as well....$1899 for the Hedds $2500+ for the Veritas...and you can find the Hedds for a lot less if you know where to look which makes it a stellar overall deal...

They wont replace my Clears, but they are very, very good in their own right..

Alex

It’s funny you describe the, that way, because the Clears (or in my case, Elex’s) have been described as super-HD-650s. And, in the case of the Heddphone, I agree with your assessment, with the caveat that they bring the HD-650 “veil” back a bit, while at he same time, being even more detailed than the Elex. I like them.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #2,444 of 4,472
I have the HD600s never heard the 650s....similar cans.

The Clears are very different sounding for me. Both nice, but the Clears are in a totally different league IMO.

It takes a good amount of "emf" to make the drivers in the HEDD's to dance. The Clears are so much more efficient to drive but have their own issues,

There is a fellow that makes a 3F SS amp designed just for the Clears due to the way the dynamic drivers in the Clears are suspended.....touted by many as the
Clear amp....

Alex

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #2,445 of 4,472
I have the HD600s never heard the 650s....similar cans.

The Clears are very different sounding for me. Both nice, but the Clears are in a totally different league IMO.

It takes a good amount of "emf" to make the drivers in the HEDD's to dance. The Clears are so much more efficient to drive but have their own issues,

There is a fellow that makes a 3F SS amp designed just for the Clears due to the way the dynamic drivers in the Clears are suspended.....touted by many as the
Clear amp....

Alex
The 3F is a variant of the DSHA3 (also referenced as Ravenswood to add to confusion) and is matched to the Focal line.
However, it does pair wonderfully with other headphones as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back