HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #796 of 4,478
But one can not say that this headphone sounds this and that from a dap and another says it sounds just ok from a SE amp/dac , then another tells you it sounded great but didnt mentioned his system cost 15,000 USD.
That's bloody thruth.
Without a mention about the pairing, applied filters or eq, all those "impressions" are useless in terms of comparison to you own setups our listening abilities.
Although they'll give a quick and dirty overview what to expect, imo. :wink:

Nevertheless thank you all for sharing your thoughts about this headphone. :beerchug:

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #797 of 4,478
OT

It is not like it is only with Chord’s DACs that we actually will double amplify if we use the DAC together with a dedicated amplifier. The analogue section of all DACs are amplifying the converted signal, no matter if it is used with a dedicated amp or not.

The difference between using a DAC like the TT2 directly to drive speakers and headphones, or if it will be used as preamp is not only about the amount of watt, voltage and ampere it can deliver. It’s more about if the DAC is connected to a “constant” load and will act like a preamp or if it is connected to a headphone, with a much more difficult load, and act like both a pre and power amp. By difficult I mean a load that vary when the membrane/transducers by mechanical force causes the transducers to move back and forth. The signal from the amp is electrical but the effect is mechanical and similar to how a pistong works. The tougher the load the more powerful the engine/amp has to be to generate forces that causes the transducers to move back and forth effortless and with authority. If we have a DAC that uses the same power supply for both the digital and analogue section both will be effected if it takes a lot of power to make the transducers to move back and forth.

Looking forward to read more impressions on the Heedphone.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #798 of 4,478
Isn't the Arya a rebranded HEKv2 in a gorgeous, modern black body (aside from slightly different padding and the obvious Modern/Urban/Utilitarian style instead of their typical Luxury, Land Rover-esque style)?
Now that sounds like a popcorn-worthy comparison. Definitely something to look forward towards.

I used to own the Edition X V2, HEK V1, HEK V2, Arya, Ananda, and HEK SE. The Arya is closest to the HEK V1, but better in my opinion, because it had more bass and less harsh treble. What you lose with the Arya, compared to the HEK series, is build quality. Hifiman isn’t known for build quality anyway, but the Arya is made even more cheaply. But in terms of sound, I liked it more than all of them except for the SE and Edition X V2. It was technically better than the Edition X V2, but no, stock, Hifiman sounds smoother than the HEX V2. It’s the one Hifiman model where the treble never bothered me.

Now back to the HEDDphone. Mine are supposed to arrive sometime today.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #799 of 4,478
I used to own the Edition X V2, HEK V1, HEK V2, Arya, Ananda, and HEK SE. The Arya is closest to the HEK V1, but better in my opinion, because it had more bass and less harsh treble. What you lose with the Arya, compared to the HEK series, is build quality. Hifiman isn’t known for build quality anyway, but the Arya is made even more cheaply. But in terms of sound, I liked it more than all of them except for the SE and Edition X V2. It was technically better than the Edition X V2, but no, stock, Hifiman sounds smoother than the HEX V2. It’s the one Hifiman model where the treble never bothered me.

Now back to the HEDDphone. Mine are supposed to arrive sometime today.
Would love you're impression and comparison with Arya! Not sure if it's worth the upgrade still.

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #800 of 4,478
My pair of HEDDphones are sitting with UPS about 70 miles away. Not scheduled till Monday. Waiting is sooooo boring.

Jan 18, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #803 of 4,478
They’re here.

C7B70277-7CF2-4265-97EC-0467AEA751AA.jpeg
B87F631D-1197-4E6C-B597-9E9B9FDFA401.jpeg
0701544B-B1ED-468D-BD4E-7F4DC2F02F0E.jpeg
01DEA5A0-2279-4771-A68E-CA8F20C5D710.jpeg
078047A9-0F4D-4ED5-82BD-47B26F92AAB2.jpeg
77DA81F8-F326-4E1B-BBE1-84F293569FB7.jpeg
DC7733D1-1F17-4D1F-A3B5-70B270BFAED9.jpeg
4D0EFE78-F85A-470F-AEA1-E31C9692183B.jpeg
84E8CD84-ED9A-477C-A576-77FC0CBEB3C2.jpeg
43BBD7C2-4AA9-4D65-B407-3F2D2B7E0FA0.jpeg

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #805 of 4,478
Great!
1st question right out of the box: confort?

The size, weight, and clamp doesn’t bother me at all. These are huge when you see them in person. It’s hard to grasp the size of the cups from pictures. But I find them comfortable. They’re not 800S comfortable, but they’re way more comfortable to me than any Audeze and especially the 4Z I used to own. They’re also way more comfortable to me than the d8000. The pads are thick and soft and the opening is just fine for my ears. BUT the headband extensions are definitely too short. I’m wearing them at full extension and would like about 2 more clicks. Hedd is going to have to remedy that quickly, because I don’t have a huge head.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #806 of 4,478
The size, weight, and clamp doesn’t bother me at all. These are huge when you see them in person. It’s hard to grasp the size of the cups from pictures. But I find them comfortable. They’re not 800S comfortable, but they’re way more comfortable to me than any Audeze and especially the 4Z I used to own. They’re also way more comfortable to me than the d8000. The pads are thick and soft and the opening is just fine for my ears. BUT the headband extensions are definitely too short. I’m wearing them at full extension and would like about 2 more clicks. Hedd is going to have to remedy that quickly, because I don’t have a huge head.
Pic of you wearing it ?

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #807 of 4,478
Thanks for the feedback.
We will be waiting your sound review and comparison with audeze, d8000 and 800s :D
Cheers!

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #808 of 4,478
A few initial impressions and thoughts. The sound is hard to describe because of the way it’s being transmitted. These don’t sound like dynamics or planars to me. They truly sound like a mutant of both. They sound 65% planar and 35% dynamic.

They have much better sub bass than the 800S. These can definitely go low without roll off. The mid bass is hard to pin down so far. On some tracks, there is definitely more mid bass punch than the 800S, but on other tracks it sounds more linear. I can’t pin this down yet this early.

The treble is incredible! It sounds smooth and detailed at the same time. So far, I love it.

There is definitely a mid boost somewhere around 1-3 K. On some tracks it makes vocals sound phenomenal. But on some tracks it can make vocals sound a little shouty. This is the only thing I don’t like about their sound so far. I’d rather my upper mids be completely flat with no boost at all. But these are VERY early impressions.

The imaging is fantastic. I’ll leave it at that for now.

The soundstage is messing me up, coming from the 800S. I’m going to need some brain burn in to fully appreciate what these can do. I’ll do my best to describe an aspect of it.

There’s a track called, “Sons and Daughters” by Allman Brown. It’s a track that will excite those that love vocals. It sounds fantastic on my 800S and HEDDphone. But the 800S makes the soundstage sound wide for the entire song. The HEDDphone says, “check out my interpretation”. It is much more intimate in the beginning when the song is just vocals and guitar. But the song escalates later on and comes to a large crescendo near the end. The HEDDphone soundstage progressively widens and expands as the song adds more instruments and vocal layering. By the final crescendo the stage seems to be as wide and vast as the 800S! Weird and cool. Also, the vocals sound absolutely sublime with the HEDDphone on this track.

I can’t fully comprehend the stage yet, because I haven’t had enough time with them yet. But I can definitely say it’s not small. The stage is not going to sound claustrophobic like the Utopia (or any Focal, to be honest).

I get why some people say these sound less “open” even though the stage is wide and expansive and the fact that they’re clearly an open back. I think it has to do with these having very good damping, combined with the very fast speed of the drivers. These don’t have long reverbs or excessive decay. For sure these are very open! I can hear everything around me when I wear them.

As for power, I honestly think feeding these any less than 3 watts is going to be detrimental to their sound. YMMV.

More to come later. I’ve got work to do :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #809 of 4,478
BUT the headband extensions are definitely too short. I’m wearing them at full extension and would like about 2 more clicks. Hedd is going to have to remedy that quickly, because I don’t have a huge head.
I've heard from the local dealer that HEDD are going to release a longer headband with an upcoming batch. They will also supply longer headbands that are user replaceable for existing units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back