HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #361 of 4,488
Sort of an aesthetically unremarkable headphone, IMO. A safe design, perhaps even boring, but not ugly. They have certainly had some challenges in comfortably securing that 700+ grams to a head, so I can easily forgive them a conservative appearance if they've nailed the fit.

I agree. I just can’t figure out why they didn’t go with a suspension strap style.

Dec 31, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #363 of 4,488
I agree. I just can’t figure out why they didn’t go with a suspension strap style.

That does seem like the obvious choice. Puzzling that they wouldn't have prototyped such a strap at the very least. Suspension straps tend to be the best headband option when faced with the two comfort issues that the HEDDphone has: high overall weight and the weight being held farther away from the head. But, perhaps they've sorted that out with the headband they've chosen. If not, affixing a DIY suspension strap shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As long as they sound as good as people are saying, flagship killer and all, I could care less about the appearance.

Haha.... I'd find that a bit easier to believe if you didn't happen to own four of the most gorgeous headphones ever made. :wink:

I agree with your point. Sound quality is of primary importance, of course. If they deliver on that, then I won't care if they have a striking desk presence or not.

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #365 of 4,488
So, looking at the specs, I guess this amp should be perfect for the Heddphone:
https://www.kinki-studio.com/thr-1
Combine with Denafrips Ares II and it easily should be Endgame.

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #366 of 4,488
...and in the meantime on Facebook:

Screenshot_20200101-102502_Facebook.jpg

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #367 of 4,488
Wondering if someone in above user Taron's circle of Facebook friends can ask him to cross-post any impressions to Head-Fi?

Also this is somewhat old news by now, but anyone in the L.A. area will have 7 days to check out the HEDDphone according to their Facebook page; 16-19th at NAMM and 19-23rd at Gold Diggers studio for private demo both their headphones and speakers. I'm not exactly sure if these are open to the public, so would recommend first checking into how to join beforehand.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #368 of 4,488
Measurements for the HEDDphone are out. Measured on a miniDSP EARS rig which is by no means an industry standard rig but gives you a general idea of what to expect. Dip in the upper mids/lower treble is a coupler artifact.
HEDDphone_HPN.jpg

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #369 of 4,488
Measurements for the HEDDphone are out. Measured on a miniDSP EARS rig which is by no means an industry standard rig but gives you a general idea of what to expect. Dip in the upper mids/lower treble is a coupler artifact.
Awesome! CSD? Impedance? Distortion?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #371 of 4,488
Awesome! CSD? Impedance? Distortion?

Those are even less reliable from this rig. Also keep in mind that this is a very open headphone, and the measuring environment was also less than perfect. So at most, just take this as a general sense of the tonality it has rather than a precise measurement.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #372 of 4,488
Those are even less reliable from this rig. Also keep in mind that this is a very open headphone, and the measuring environment was also less than perfect. So at most, just take this as a general sense of the tonality it has rather than a precise measurement.
Understood. But, even with that imprecision, the measurements would be interesting to see. Especially LF ringing...

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #373 of 4,488
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #374 of 4,488
Well, how are they? Lol.

I think companies are going to have to re-evaluate how they price flagships after the HEDDphone is out in the wild. If you're OK with the weight it's pretty close to the Utopia and LCD-4. Similar tonality to the Utopia with better bass extension and detail retrieval that is very close to the LCD-4. I've only had a few true "Holy crap" moments in audio and the HEDDphone is one of those experiences.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #375 of 4,488
I think companies are going to have to re-evaluate how they price flagships after the HEDDphone is out in the wild. If you're OK with the weight it's pretty close to the Utopia and LCD-4. Similar tonality to the Utopia with better bass extension and detail retrieval that is very close to the LCD-4. I've only had a few true "Holy crap" moments in audio and the HEDDphone is one of those experiences.

Nothing will ever be the same again. Welcome to this world my beloved HEDDphone. Now are the good old days that we long for in ten years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back