HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #3,421 of 4,472
I know that feeling....i have had as many as 24 headphone amps here and its gets overwhelming at times. Being an analytical electrical engineer type amps have always fascinated me.

Sold most, down to about 10 amps and half a dozen cans...i rotate thru them all every few days and its like "all new" each time I swap and then rotate thru amps etc.

I tend to focus on each cans strengths and leave the negative crap, charts and graphs etc for the reviewers...

Its all about the music here!
Alex
Nice, what’s your favorite amp pairing with the HEDDphone?

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #3,422 of 4,472
As usual there are several that are really close. For me its hard to pick on definitively and state that for 1000% of the time that any one is that much better that another.
That said for me with the Hedds any amp that has a decent amount of power works well.

So many folks look to "us" that have a lot of stuff to let them know whats the best to make their trip "easier" or help them down the path.

The amps I like with the Hedds are the Schiit Jot 2 in balanced mode, high gain. Has tons of power to make the Hedds come alive at 75-85 db for me.
Other amp like the HPA-1 will drive them ok and they are just a tad softer to me. Neves RHNP with its less than stellar power output actually drives them loud but the
volume control pot has to be really cranked up there etc...

When I use the preamp out of the pass labs into a 2 ch speaker amp, this drive the Hedds just a much as the Jot 2 does.

I have used the ifi ican pro, soundaware P1, Flux, Asgard 3, BH Mainline, TUBA, ECP T4 and others....most are "ok" but for me I am always plugging them into the Jot 2 95% of the time. I also have many DIY amps some that work close to the J2 others are in that 80-85% percentile range of goodness to me.

To me its the efficiency of a headphone, sensitivity etc...that equates to how good of an amp is really needed (in power) to make the drivers "dance" well.

Lots of good choices...

Alex

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #3,423 of 4,472
1624100359519.png

1624100419360.png

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #3,424 of 4,472
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #3,426 of 4,472
As usual there are several that are really close. For me its hard to pick on definitively and state that for 1000% of the time that any one is that much better that another.
That said for me with the Hedds any amp that has a decent amount of power works well.

So many folks look to "us" that have a lot of stuff to let them know whats the best to make their trip "easier" or help them down the path.

The amps I like with the Hedds are the Schiit Jot 2 in balanced mode, high gain. Has tons of power to make the Hedds come alive at 75-85 db for me.
Other amp like the HPA-1 will drive them ok and they are just a tad softer to me. Neves RHNP with its less than stellar power output actually drives them loud but the
volume control pot has to be really cranked up there etc...

When I use the preamp out of the pass labs into a 2 ch speaker amp, this drive the Hedds just a much as the Jot 2 does.

I have used the ifi ican pro, soundaware P1, Flux, Asgard 3, BH Mainline, TUBA, ECP T4 and others....most are "ok" but for me I am always plugging them into the Jot 2 95% of the time. I also have many DIY amps some that work close to the J2 others are in that 80-85% percentile range of goodness to me.

To me its the efficiency of a headphone, sensitivity etc...that equates to how good of an amp is really needed (in power) to make the drivers "dance" well.

Lots of good choices...

Alex
I don’t mind assisting in one’s journey. Most head-fiers don’t have access to some of the gear we have and are simply looking for advice. I bought most of my gear blindly as there aren’t any dealerships in my area they sell the gear I want to demo. I would’ve liked it very much if someone could’ve guided me along the way. Passing along information is just a small part of it. In the end, it’s going to be up to listener/buyer to decide what to do with the advice and choose what sounds good to them despite all the info that’s been passed along.

I tried the HEDDphone’s out of my Burson Timekeeper power amp this morning. I must say that extra power really faired well with the HEDDphones. It improved everything about them. I think I might’ve found a use for my power amp after all.

Jun 19, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #3,427 of 4,472
Jun 19, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #3,428 of 4,472
Its been a fun ride...sold most of these and down to my "favorites" based on my headphones etc...Some sentimental attachments to some...same as headphones many come and many go over time.

The Hedds are a classic IMO and will stay in the house for years....its kind of like a first new engineering AMT step for headphones fullrange driver etc...and its really a prertty decent headphone...may not be the fullbodied type that some like with the more warm fuller bass on the low end....this I can understand but with certain types of music...like classical and live perfs its really neat....

Alex

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,429 of 4,472
With the right or really good amp the Hedds come alive and instruments are so real and lifelike....Listening to Shadows play their Fendercaster guitars and they sound like the real thing (almost)...as always...

It not like the Hedds add anything to the music...if its good it sounds good, if its mediocre is sounds mediocre. IMO .

Jun 19, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,430 of 4,472
With the right or really good amp the Hedds come alive and instruments are so real and lifelike....Listening to Shadows play their Fendercaster guitars and they sound like the real thing (almost)...as always...

It not like the Hedds add anything to the music...if its good it sounds good, if its mediocre is sounds mediocre. IMO .
Good call. Listening to Apache now and it sounds fantastic through mTT2. I’m sure all the other amps are fun, but TT2 is certainly more than capable of driving HEDDs, too.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #3,433 of 4,472
Hey guys.
I’m right now at a headphone store in Manhattan trying out different stuff that I’ve been wanting to listen to for a while like the Arya for example and I gotta say the HEDDphone blows them out of the water!!!!
The realism, texture, fullness etc of the HEDDs is really something unbelievable!!!!

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #3,434 of 4,472
Hey guys.
I’m right now at a headphone store in Manhattan trying out different stuff that I’ve been wanting to listen to for a while like the Arya for example and I gotta say the HEDDphone blows them out of the water!!!!
The realism, texture, fullness etc of the HEDDs is really something unbelievable!!!!
Yes, they have excellent sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back