HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jun 18, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #3,406 of 4,475
Yes, a very interesting soundstage indeed 😂
But the realism with percussion instruments and air instruments is mind blowing!!!
And in general, the overall sound sig is one of a kind.
Personally my only issue is with the tonality and timbre of string instruments, specifically/especially violins 🎻
Other than that, this headphone is incredible!!!

Btw, I see that you also own the 1266 tc and susvara.
How would u compare this to those?
What is standing out right now with the HEDDphone is that it doesn't have the 3D holographic soundstage of the TC's or Susvara's. It lacks the imaging of those two headphones. Artists and instruments occupy their own space on the TC's and Susvara's. You can literally tell were the artist are in relation to each other. On the HEDDPhone, the artist seem to be lined up side by side. The lack of soundstage depth is playing a huge part in this.

I love the HEDDphone's energy. It's almost as energetic as the TC's and bit better the Susvara's in this category. The HEDDphone can't match the Susvara's timbre or tonality, but not many headphones can. The Susvara's sound more natural, more nuanced and bit more detailed than the HEDDphone. Both have more resolve, more definition, better instrument separation than the HEDDphone. The TC's just sound bigger and more speaker like than any headphone on the market today in my opinion.

The HEDDphone has just about as much the bass output as the TC's, but the sound as a whole its not as in your face or lively as them. The HEDDphone sounds a bit subdued or pushed back in comparison.

Judging the HEDDphone on its own accord I find it bit better than a lot of headphones I've heard around the same price point. It's not on the same playing field as the TC's or Susvara's though. Those two headphones I'll rank 1a and 1b as the best I've heard.

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #3,407 of 4,475
I just took delivery of my HEDDphone's. They are large but the weight doesn't bother me. The LCD-4's I use to own actually felt heavier. I'm trying some cables on them at the moment and I've settled on my Forza Audioworks Hybrid Noir cable.

Initial impressions are this is extremely detailed and balanced sounding headphone. It's a nice energetic listen. Soundstage isn't as big as I was thinking it would be, but it isn't bad. I am adding some more low end with the Loki. They sound just about perfect now. I like them a lot.

IMG_1116.jpg
An impressive setup you got there

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3,408 of 4,475
What is standing out right now with the HEDDphone is that it doesn't have the 3D holographic soundstage of the TC's or Susvara's. It lacks the imaging of those two headphones. Artists and instruments occupy their own space on the TC's and Susvara's. You can literally tell were the artist are in relation to each other. On the HEDDPhone, the artist seem to be lined up side by side. The lack of soundstage depth is playing a huge part in this.

I love the HEDDphone's energy. It's almost as energetic as the TC's and bit better the Susvara's in this category. The HEDDphone can't match the Susvara's timbre or tonality, but not many headphones can. The Susvara's sound more natural, more nuanced and bit more detailed than the HEDDphone. Both have more resolve, more definition, better instrument separation than the HEDDphone. The TC's just sound bigger and more speaker like than any headphone on the market today in my opinion.

The HEDDphone has just about as much the bass output as the TC's, but the sound as a whole its not as in your face or lively as them. The HEDDphone sounds a bit subdued or pushed back in comparison.

Judging the HEDDphone on its own accord I find it bit better than a lot of headphones I've heard around the same price point. It's not on the same playing field as the TC's or Susvara's though. Those two headphones I'll rank 1a and 1b as the best I've heard.
Aha, very interesting.
Makes me tempt to hear the susvara 😂
Personally, for me, timbre and tonality is a very important factor with headphones.
Regarding soundstage, is the susvara tall as well like the HEDDphone?
And how’s the timbre of the 1266 tc?

Btw, have u ever heard the zmf verite?
Bc from what I read, it seems to be the best thing u can get for most things at its price Range.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3,409 of 4,475
Aha, very interesting.
Makes me tempt to hear the susvara 😂
Personally, for me, timbre and tonality is a very important factor with headphones.
Btw, have u ever heard the zmf verite?
Bc from what I read, it seems to be the best thing u can get for most things at its price Range.
Yes, before the pandemic hit, Zach was bringing his entire collection to local meet we were having at JDS Labs. The Verite's do sound natural and full. If you're after great timbre and tone it's hard to be any ZMF headphone.

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,410 of 4,475
Yes, before the pandemic hit, Zach was bringing his entire collection to local meet we were having at JDS Labs. The Verite's do sound natural and full. If you're after great timbre and tone it's hard to be any ZMF headphone.
Noice!!!
I wish I could hear one.
So between the HEDDphone and the verite, which would u take if u had to choose one?

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,411 of 4,475
Noice!!!
I wish I could hear one.
So between the HEDDphone and the verite, which would u take if u had to choose one?
Only choosing one would depend on my setup. If I was more into tubes it would be the Verite's. They sound the best on tube gear. Now that I'm getting more acquainted with the HEDDphone I like it more on solid state gear and for now is my choice. I do eventually want to own at least one ZMF headphone.

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #3,412 of 4,475
Only choosing one would depend on my setup. If I was more into tubes it would be the Verite's. They sound the best on tube gear. Now that I'm getting more acquainted with the HEDDphone I like it more on solid state gear and for now is my choice. I do eventually want to own at least one ZMF headphone.
Ok.
Btw does the verite have height as well like the HEDDphone?
Also, I’m watching now a review (and reading some comments) on the susvara and ppl are saying that there’s a little shrill and Sibilance with the susvara on certain tracks. Do u find that to be true?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #3,413 of 4,475
I own the Hedds and Focal OG Clears and Focal MG Pros, hd 650's, D8000 Pros, Empyreans....and had the Susvaras here for a week a few months ago.

IMO the Susvaras were very good, but not $6K good. Thats just me and my personal thoughts. For the $1899 (and they can be had for alot less) the Hedds are in a class of price performance all their own..just the fact your comparing these to two other stellar cans, the Abyss 1266 and Sus's tells me alot...

The Hedds here need a decent amount of power to really come into their own...at least 1-3 watts IMO...

I run a Passlabs HPA1 into a 6SN7 Speaker amp and they are superb...the only way your going to tell is to listen with your ears....buy from a dealer that will allow you to try them and return etc..

Alex

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #3,414 of 4,475
Ok.
Btw does the verite have height as well like the HEDDphone?
Also, I’m watching now a review (and reading some comments) on the susvara and ppl are saying that there’s a little shrill and Sibilance with the susvara on certain tracks. Do u find that to be true?
The Verite's sound more expansive than the HEDDphone. The HEDDphone beats them in speed and resolve

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,415 of 4,475
I own the Hedds and Focal OG Clears and Focal MG Pros, hd 650's, D8000 Pros, Empyreans....and had the Susvaras here for a week a few months ago.

IMO the Susvaras were very good, but not $6K good. Thats just me and my personal thoughts. For the $1899 (and they can be had for alot less) the Hedds are in a class of price performance all their own..just the fact your comparing these to two other stellar cans, the Abyss 1266 and Sus's tells me alot...

The Hedds here need a decent amount of power to really come into their own...at least 1-3 watts IMO...

I run a Passlabs HPA1 into a 6SN7 Speaker amp and they are superb...the only way your going to tell is to listen with your ears....buy from a dealer that will allow you to try them and return etc..

Alex
I only compared them to the Susvara's and TC's because he specifically asked for a comparison between those two headphones. My collection is pretty diverse and the HEDDphone is a very nice addition to it.

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #3,416 of 4,475
One of the best "dynamic" driver type of headphones is the Focal OG Clear. Tyl H stated this a year back and I bought and totally agree that this headphone is one of the best if not the best headphone for tonality, close to perfect IMO.

With this said, when I want to hear a very realistic piano, Keiko Matsui's Dreamwalk or Billy Barber or Kim Pensyl...I reach for the Hedds everytime , the tonality of those "ivory" keys for me are just perfect.

All these cans are pretty decent in their own "domain"...

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #3,417 of 4,475
' One of the best "dynamic" driver type of headphones is the Focal OG Clear. Tyl H stated this a year back and I bought and totally agree that this headphone is one of the best if not the best headphone for tonality, close to perfect IMO.

With this said, when I want to hear a very realistic piano, Keiko Matsui's Dreamwalk or Billy Barber or Kim Pensyl...I reach for the Hedds everytime , the tonality of those "ivory" keys for me are just perfect.

All these cans are pretty decent in their own "domain"...
Agreed, I don’t think there is a perfect headphone. There is something to like about any headphone if you give them a chance. There are very few headphones that have that sense of realism and offer that “being there” feeling. I’m glad you finding it in the HEDDphone. I need more time with the them as this is only my first day of listening. I must say there’s a lot to like about the HEDDphone.

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #3,418 of 4,475
Gosh I cant agree with you more about the "being there" factor....I often came home from a concert and turned on the mega buck 2 ch and said..
"Nope, not even close"....

Enjoy the Hedds they will grow on you like most cans...
Alex

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #3,419 of 4,475
Gosh I cant agree with you more about the "being there" factor....I often came home from a concert and turned on the mega buck 2 ch and said..
"Nope, not even close"....

Enjoy the Hedds they will grow on you like most cans...
Alex
Thanks! I just took ownership of the Hifiman HE-R10P’s today as well. I‘m going back and forth with my listening but I need to choose one for now. These two headphones couldn’t sound more different. I’m not enjoying either one at moment because I’m mixing too many sounds :) .

Jun 18, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #3,420 of 4,475
I know that feeling....i have had as many as 24 headphone amps here and its gets overwhelming at times. Being an analytical electrical engineer type amps have always fascinated me.

Sold most, down to about 10 amps and half a dozen cans...i rotate thru them all every few days and its like "all new" each time I swap and then rotate thru amps etc.

I tend to focus on each cans strengths and leave the negative crap, charts and graphs etc for the reviewers...

Its all about the music here!
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back