Heavily modified PortaPro wood cups included
Sep 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #32 of 41
lol, i really laughed there budday!  that is some sick lookin genius there. bummer you have to take em off to switch songs tho, small price to pay for the coolest rig iv'e seen in a while : )

Sep 14, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #33 of 41

Quote:
lol, i really laughed there budday!  that is some sick lookin genius there. bummer you have to take em off to switch songs tho, small price to pay for the coolest rig iv'e seen in a while : )

thank you. Skipping a song is no problem, searching for a song is the worst experience ever though.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #34 of 41
^ haha fun 

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #35 of 41
I have a similar sized caps on my modded porta's (cannibalized from another old koss model) And I'm getting more bass. Some good tight n punchy bass. But only after I put some blu-tack around the driver between it and the housing. Otherwise they leak and you lose the bass. I think that's your case since you mention bass decreased after the mod. How did you attached the pads to the caps? Make sure the gap btween the caps and the drivers is nice and sealed and you should get a substantial increase in volume and bass quality.
Your mod looks awesome btw.

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #36 of 41
Lol wow! For first I was like holy fu*k that's ugly, but when you put the headband over there..wow..looks like they were some original PortaPros from the 60's 
popcorn.gif
I also have some PortaPros laying around, but the 3.5mm plug is broken. I bought my sister brand new pair for birthday to get her broken ones so I could fix them and get them "free".
redface.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
I used to love these phones when i was a kid, but now next to my Superluxes they really don't sound that good..Time for some modding I think.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #38 of 41

Quote:
Ok, I am going to steal that idea with the Sansa Clip and the portapros now...That's so brilliant.

well it's not that original, got the idea from another project. but it's quite a nice and easy thing to do.
    In the end I reattached the whole cord because I skip tracks way to often...

Quote:
Lol wow! For first I was like holy fu*k that's ugly, but when you put the headband over there..wow..looks like they were some original PortaPros from the 60's 
popcorn.gif
I also have some PortaPros laying around, but the 3.5mm plug is broken. I bought my sister brand new pair for birthday to get her broken ones so I could fix them and get them "free".
redface.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
I used to love these phones when i was a kid, but now next to my Superluxes they really don't sound that good..Time for some modding I think.

well I guess taste differ :p I really like the way they look,
but the sound can't compare to my Sextetts and HF5 which I use with 75 ohm mod and a portable 18V Cmoy...

It's quite sad, I don't use them at all due to all those nice portable and stationary options... so I just hang them to look at, lol.

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #40 of 41
Revisited this thread today, and I must say that the look of these has grown on me. This is probably the only wood-cup mod I've seen for the PortaPro (or any non-Grado headphone for that matter). They have an almost-steampunk look to them, almost like they should be paired with this:

http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/album/257730/id/112915/sort/display_order

Anyway, really creative mod you've done. I'd be interested to hear what this does for the PortaPro sound. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #41 of 41

Quote:
Revisited this thread today, and I must say that the look of these has grown on me. This is probably the only wood-cup mod I've seen for the PortaPro (or any non-Grado headphone for that matter). They have an almost-steampunk look to them, almost like they should be paired with this:

http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/album/257730/id/112915/sort/display_order

Anyway, really creative mod you've done. I'd be interested to hear what this does for the PortaPro sound. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, nice mp3 player.

The current phone has the cables like the original one on both sides and I removed the foam in front of the driver again after making shure that the pads seal well with the baffle.
The main improvement actually was to bend in the metal headband on both sides. In the back I did the opposite to relieve some stress from my ears. But now with the leather-pads I need some stress to get an actual good seal. Due to the bigger pads they don't hurt at all, so it's no big deal.

The sound comes close to an original Porta Pros but add an actual soundstage. The mid-bass and lower-midrange changed. While A-B testing with an untouched Porta Pro I couldn't tell which I liked best. But comfort wise the modded one outclassed the stock ones by far.

So in the end it's more of an aesthetical mod and made me learn a bit.

Sadly, I don't use them anymore. I have Etymotics for on the go, K240 Sextetts for home-listening and am building a pair of t50rp Thunderpants.
I considered selling them, but I guess no one would buy them on German eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back