Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Nov 20, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #811 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'll keep it running for about 3 or 4 days to see if there's some improvement.

After trying wearing it for while, somehow I feel the left earpiece is larger in the canal than the right one. And I can't push it as deep as the right one. I'm finding way to push it deeper. Or else I gonna have to send Andre an email
frown.gif

Interesting, I also have problem with my left side.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #812 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HY C-3's that I have are only 13 ohms they are very easy to drive even right out of my 2 gen Shuffle 2gb. These custom monitors beg for lower volumes because of the wide Flat soundstage, so an amp is stricty to eliminate low volume hiss and enhance the SQ a bit. Now I don't have a caffeine but I have the following amps.

Travagans Colors
Fiio E3
Boosteroo Revolution
Headroom Total Airhead.

The SQ is excellent across the entire soundstage with the Airhead and Travagans but the Bass is a little too muddy with the Fiio and Boosteroo.
But the Travagans was 60.00 US and the Airhead was 99.00 US while the Fiio was only 8.50 US and the Boosteroo was only 25.00 US so there is an expected SQ difference.
If you've tried any of those amps perhaps you can draw a conclusion about your Caffeine.

boosteroo rofl......I didn't even know people on this board would buy that thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #813 of 1,734
I already had it from way back when I first got my Senn CX300's and cheap was important. There is a lot of distortion with it so I never use it anymore but I didn't want to totaly "DIS" it. The Fiio is nice for a Bass enhancer but lacks SQ across the mid and upper ranges

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #814 of 1,734
I currently have some ER4P/s and some Westone UM2. Would these be a good replacement? (Because i'm finding the westone is lacking details, mids and highs, and the ETY lacking bass...)

I am considering selling both of them and getting the C-3s... Would it be a mistake?

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #815 of 1,734
Actually I do have a Boosteroo from years ago when I was using a transmitter with my ipod and it wasnt loud enough. I haven't used it for yeras and now it just sits around. It's the cheap one, whatever that is called. It isn't a proper amp anyways.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #816 of 1,734
KnOx,

Unless you have a grand to pay for the UE10's or UE11's, These c-3's are the last best custom EIMs you can get in this price range. IMHO Now the one downside is thier size. They are in no way comfortable to sleep in so I would hang on to you ER4P's for thier smaller size.

Yeahx,

I bought the Boosteroo Revolution a ways back and I think that they have plenty of boost(eroo) but at a cost of SQ. But for 25 bucks it was a crap shoot anyway. The Fiio is much more refined but lacking in the upper registers and only 8.50 My favorite amp for overall SQ and quality is my Headroom Total Airhead. It's about the size of my Ipod 5th gen video 80gb so they go well together, but for pure micro-portability is my Travagans Colors and my 2nd gen 2gb Shuffle.

Nov 21, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #817 of 1,734
So my left ear piece is cutting in and out, and the problem is due to the cheap connector I originally mentioned. When the wire near the jack is moved or pinched, it cuts out. Because I was already weary of this happening when I first got them, I e-mailed Andre about the problem and a way to prevent it. I asked how much an upgrade would cost to one with a removable cable in case it happens again down the line. Yes, I probably should have got one to begin with, but in my eyes it was nearly double the price, even with cashback discounts. Hopefully I can upgrade it instead of just getting it fixed. I'd probably get some C2s if at all possible, and pull a gatto with the iphone cable lol.

BTW, I tried Westone 3s when they were first being demoed last year at MacWorld with a Zen Vision M, and they were very bassy. Using ER4Ps at the time, I really didn't like them that much. I don't know how different the final version sounds, but if its any indication, the bass was overwhelming.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #818 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kn0x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have some ER4P/s and some Westone UM2. Would these be a good replacement? (Because i'm finding the westone is lacking details, mids and highs, and the ETY lacking bass...)

I am considering selling both of them and getting the C-3s... Would it be a mistake?

You may want to give Sleek a call and ask about their tuning options for the Sleek Custom. They are the same price as C3 and FreQ, and offer much better highs. The bass is leaner, but I read Sleek has just come out with a new Bass++ port for their SA6 line, so they may be able to tune the custom for greater bass as well. If you like the highs of the ER4P, you might find the C3 severely lacking, and at the moment, only the Sleek offers a more extended treble in that region. Maybe Livewires, also, though I've never heard them personally.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #819 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked how much an upgrade would cost to one with a removable cable in case it happens again down the line. Yes, I probably should have got one to begin with, but in my eyes it was nearly double the price, even with cashback discounts.

Yeah this doesn't impress me at all and makes hearyourself seem pretty crappy to me. Sorry but the addition of cheap connectors doesn't justify that much extra cost to me. Either does spending that much on ones without that I will end up breaking in 6 months to a year just because I couldn't afford removable cables.
frown.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #820 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to give Sleek a call and ask about their tuning options for the Sleek Custom. They are the same price as C3 and FreQ, and offer much better highs. The bass is leaner, but I read Sleek has just come out with a new Bass++ port for their SA6 line, so they may be able to tune the custom for greater bass as well. If you like the highs of the ER4P, you might find the C3 severely lacking, and at the moment, only the Sleek offers a more extended treble in that region. Maybe Livewires, also, though I've never heard them personally.

The sleek are verry intetresting... If the HYS are lacking in high, I won't trade off my 2 IEM for them that's for sure... I just read that the sound signature is costum from sleek as well... That sounds awesome to me... Question is... How much are they lacking bass?

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #821 of 1,734
Hey boys and girls!

So I'm baaaack! Haha. I've been MIA for a few weeks, 2 weeks of exams and a surprise holiday from my gorgeous girlfriend mean this is the first minute I have had to drop in and say hi! Anyway, I have had my C3s for a little while now, like over a week, and I really really like them, at this point. They are a LITTLE muddy, if I have to complain about something, but to be honest, I am too busy enjoying them to complain about them
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the fit, I noticed a few of you saying that you had problems with your left ears.. My left fits perfectly, it's the right one that I have problems with. When I get it seated right, it's fine, but it takes a bit of fiddling and doesnt feel quite as good as the left. Not enough to send them back tho, I don't think, and the SQ doesnt change if I press on the right one.. In fact, it feels like it gets worse.. Anyway, I will post some pics soon but mine look a lot like LK's, same colour and same cable.. Haven't thought about a cable upgrade yet but that's the next step but prolly won't bother for at least a couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back