Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Sep 30, 2008 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,734

Stikk

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

So we have been talking about the hearyourself.com custom in ear monitors in a couple of other threads so I have started a thread to avoid confusion (as suggested by doubletaps in the FreQ thread).

So this website sells several different products, all custom molded, probably best if you check out the site for yourself but here is a brief overview of their custom drivers:
Alien Ears (AE) series:
Fixed cable custom molded monitors available in single, double and triple driver permutations for:
AE1 Single Driver - $110
AE2 Dual Driver - $250
AE3 Triple Driver - $300

C Series:
Same internals as the ones above but with detachable cables, costing:
C1 Single Driver (Silicone) - $200
C1000 Single Driver (Acrylic) - $200
C2 Pro Dual Driver - $300
C3 Pro Triple Driver - $350

I don't have any pics yet as no one had bought any but I am planning to order some this week and will update with pics when available.. So yeah, get to the discussing
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 1,734
Simply put

FREE, Easy do-it-yourself SAFE !!!!! impression kits
Fast Turn-around ! (7 days for mine)
ANY !!!!! color you want.
( I got an icy bluish clear, similar to UE's "ElectricBlue")(really cool)
Perfect Fit
Excelent outside attenuation
Great Sound strong Bass
Clear crisp mids and highs
Comfortable for long periods but too big to sleep on your side.
same price direct or on EBay.
hvb620.jpg

Do they compare to Ultimates Ears UE7? I'll never know cause I want to live and my wife would "off " me if i spent $850.00 for UE's. and although the drivers may be from the same two companies that supply most of these high end drivers, Each brand uses their own custon designed crossovers so it depends on the tastes and expertise of the crossover designer. Hearyourself has been making high end pro-audio monitors for years. they saw the increased demand for fair pricing for the home user and stepped in.
8yf1h2.jpg

High end customs such as Hearyourself , Ultimate ears. and Freq's use " balanced armature" drivers which are a different from the dynamic drivers that most general universals use so your brain really needs to get used to them. I think that's why no-one can agree whether balance armature drivers need a "Breakin period" as most dynamic drivers do. I think it's the brain that needs break in time.

The owner Andre, say's a new improved web site is in the works as many threads have suggested that because his site was not as "Hoyty-Toyty fancy as the others, that his products may not be as high quality as the others.They couldn't be more wrong. He can't sell them reasonable priced if he has to spend all his money on Web-tech.

Bottom Line?
ksc75smile.gif
I'm So glad I got them. I feel like I got great value for my money, and I have already recommended them to all of my friends.

Boomy

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 1,734
I've been meaning to ask, why do people say detachable cables are a must for IEMs? I know the cables have a tendency to break but why do IEM cables break more then other types of headphones?

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 1,734
Hey Gatto,

They don't break any more often than others. In fact, they are usualy higher quality and therefore last longer Generaly regular rubber coated permant cords are three wires (a single ground and a right and left )all sealed in one rubber tube. High end detachables are twisted pairs meeting at the "Y" and then becoming a triple twisted set of wires to the plug with seperate coating on each wire.

Detachables just make it easier for you to replace them yourself. If you work-out alot or run or jog it can be hard on the cords. Most high end IEM's have detachable cords but many companies like, Hearyourself.com offer models that have either permanent or detachable.
If you do break the permanent cord you would have to send them back to be repaired or get new earphones. Custom molded in-ears are way too expensive to toss, so most people who pay that much for their IEM's opt for replaceable cords. And professional artists wouldn't want to be without them while they were off getting new cords.
Also with sealed in-ear customs the outside sound attenuation is so good that sound from the rubber cord rubbing against your neck of clothes can be distracting. Most high end detachable cords are less rubbery and make less noise when they rub against you.

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 1,734
The durability problems regarding IEM cables comes from the fact that the manufacturers are trying to make a light weight and non microphonic cable. That usually means a thinner cable with a softer less durable cable jacket.

Weight is also a major problem because all it is suspended in your ears so a big normal type headphone cable on an IEM would most likely deteriorate the comfort of the earphones and make microphonic noise a huge issue.

Sep 30, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 1,734
Wow. That website is barely renderable with firefox.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 1,734
this company suggests making your own impressions with their kit, correct me if I'm wrong but everything I've heard suggests that this is a very bad idea

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 1,734
They send you a kit to make impressions with, I don't think they suggest to actually do it yourself.

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 1,734
actually detachable cable is good for swapping different cables from other manufacturers.

usd350 for C3 is really tempting. but issues with bad fitting scares me off. its either correct at first attempt or nightmare...

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 1,734
Hearyourself.com not only sends you a free ear impression kit, but your email invoice includes complete instructions for doing them yourself ( with the help of a friend). If you have ever put a q-tip in your ear, you have taken the same risk that these impression kits represent. It's very safe and not hard to accomplish. My wife did mine and the hardest part was getting the mixed impression material injected before it set up but they even give you an extra batch of impression material just in case. But as the intructions suggest, if you feel the LEAST BIT UNSURE if you can do it safely then have a local audiologist do it for you for a small fee ($50-$150).

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 1,734
the shipping fee for returning the ear impression is covered by them too?

i live on another side of earth. if all shipping covered with USD35, that's a very good buy :O

it's good too see many custom are getting more affordable. livewires, FreQs and now this. where is ACs? i know they can offer affordable custom haha

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 1,734
You must pay to ship the finished impressions to the lab, but they pay all other shipping. Both shipping the impression kit to you as well as shipping the finish monitors and your impressions back to you when done and although they publish a 2-10 week turn around, I got mine back 6 days after they received my impressions at the lab.( I tracked it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back