Hearing new details in new headphones is a myth
Jul 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #76 of 116
I think budget headphones shows most fundamental details in music but only fell behind where need to show fine hidden details because bloated bass, recessed midrange or recessed highs. On the other hand highend headphones not only shows all fundamental details but also shows most hidden details with better space for instruments, better imaging, separation and defind soundstage.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #78 of 116
....is not a myth, is a fact!
k701smile.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #79 of 116
Quote:
People always say how they can hear new things in their brand new headphones. This isn't true; it's either a sound that happened to be toned down by the frequency response of the last headphone (but still audible) or the simple fact when you get a new headphone you try harder to hear all of the details. I have never heard any less or any more sounds in any head phone; every detail is there, whether muddy or piercing or quiet or loud, It's there. New hi-fi users probably think they hear new details because higher end headphones tend to be lighter on bass, making higher frequencies stand out. I don't fall for the treble allusion, and thus I prefer a bassier but not too bassy headphone because it's just simply more enjoyable and less fatiguing.

No, it's most definitely true. But, I understand what you are trying to say.

I've had countless experiences where I listen to a new headphone with music I've listened to hundreds of times, only to find out there was a layer I've never noticed before. Some headphones, particularly higher end, can really bring out layers and parts of the music that were very subtle before, thus creating a "new" listening experience for the user. And by saying that users have not experienced that is totally false, because they have. But, what you are trying to say is every headphone presents the details, it's just sometimes very hard to hear due to driver capabilities or refinement of sound. If you compare a low end to a high end headphone, you will definitely still hear the same details in both, just to varying degrees. Once you know that a specific detail or layer is there, you can still hear it when you downgrade headphones. I think the SRH940 to $3 headphone comparison was a little extreme, and that is in no way close to a fair fight, but I've personally compared my AD700 to every headphone I have ever owned and have heard every detail there is to hear with it when comparing to headphones of much higher status and capability. That's why I personally go for presentation, but that can tie into details and overall refinement.

Some of you are overreacting to what the OP said, as if it offended you in some way. But in ways, he is absolutely right.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #80 of 116
I admit losing my cool for a bit. I can see where he was coming from. The way he worded it initially made me jump to the conclusion that he was a troll and I bit. Katun pretty much said my points in a more intelligent, less angry form. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #81 of 116
I can sympathize with the OP's viewpoint.  I've owned the Etymotic ER-4Ps, undisputed detail king for $300, and I also have a $10 pair of Philips IEMs (model number SHE3580).  I keep hearing cymbals and triangles with the $10 Philips that I never noticed with the etys
basshead.gif
On one track the previously unnoticed cymbal track became so loud, I wanted to tune it out just so I could concentrate on the vocals again
basshead.gif
It's not because these $10 buds are higher quality than my $300 etys, it's because these buds just emphasize the treble that much 
blink.gif
basshead.gif
blink.gif

Then again, after some (a lot of) tweaking, these buds don't sound bad at all--I just put up a review of them here.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #82 of 116

Quote:
I think budget headphones shows most fundamental details in music but only fell behind where need to show fine hidden details. Because bloated bass or recessed midrange or highs and high end headphones shows most hidden details with better space for instruments, better imaging, separation and soundstage.

Aside from that, cheaper headphones often don't have appropriate dampening or the cheap materials they are made of absorb the finer details or obscure them with resonances, resulting in you hearing more subtle nuances and ambiance and what not when you go from dollar store earbuds to HD6x0 or SRH940, for example.  Quite often, driver capabilities of one headphone are not on par with a more expensive one, as another post said.  Furthermore, FR may seem to bring certain details out around certain frequencies like the following post demonstrates:

Quote:
I can sympathize with the OP's viewpoint.  I've owned the Etymotic ER-4Ps, undisputed detail king for $300, and I also have a $10 pair of Philips IEMs (model number SHE3580).  I keep hearing cymbals and triangles with the $10 Philips that I never noticed with the etys
basshead.gif
On one track the previously unnoticed cymbal track became so loud, I wanted to tune it out just so I could concentrate on the vocals again
basshead.gif
It's not because these $10 buds are higher quality than my $300 etys, it's because these buds just emphasize the treble that much
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Then again, after some (a lot of) tweaking, these buds don't sound bad at all--I just put up a review of them here.

Not all detail is in the treble

Jul 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #83 of 116
Try "number" of comments. "Amount" is used to measure volume--like air and water, gases.

Then again few of us are capable of making the distinction any more--remember when there was such useful and classy distinction between "uninterested" and "disinterested" and then we gave one and all word processors and look where we are.

The amount of water in the tub.
The number of water in the tub.

Not quite interchangeable.

Hugs and hope!

Art

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #84 of 116
Glad to see the civility and respect returned to the thread. The OP has admitted to an unintentional oversimplification and learned, as have I from the thread. I did not think the OP first post was at all poor neticate, I didn't agree, but isn't this community about sharring and learning in a tolerant and respectful manner? Anyway, all seems good now so way to go Head-fiers! Cheers.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #85 of 116

Quote:
Try "number" of comments. "Amount" is used to measure volume--like air and water, gases.

Then again few of us are capable of making the distinction any more--remember when there was such useful and classy distinction between "uninterested" and "disinterested" and then we gave one and all word processors and look where we are.

The amount of water in the tub.
The number of water in the tub.

Not quite interchangeable.

Hugs and hope!

Art

Epic random grammar troll to the rescue or what? No amount of numbers can quantify how much of a ****** you are. Feast on that sentence.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #86 of 116
Joelby, why be so harsh? So what if the poster has an interest in grammar and figured he would share a little of that here? I teach my daughter to not ask "can I have a glass of milk" when she should be asking "may I have a glass of milk". I think the poster is raising a little aside issue and shouldn't be verbally abused for doing so. I don't think there was any intent to insult.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #87 of 116
Frankrizzo: the Sopranos? You have no idea how close I've come to whacking this thread.

Also, stand down, Grammar Nazis.

Everyone else, calm down and return to civil discussion.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #88 of 116
He's not sharing or contributing anything by posting that. He's stroking his ego like the billion other time wasting wonderkids on the internet policing grammar. It's great that you teach your daughter lessons but I'm sure you don't correct strangers on the street when they use words incorrectly.

Anyway, Eric is right. It only serves to feed the troll if we continue talking about it.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #90 of 116
Idk man, I tried several headphones today all where new to me. I never listened to goo head phones before but I notice that I could hear disortion a that where not there before, and I also chould tell a huge difference from one pair to the next. Maybe you meant somethings else, but no not all headphones sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back