Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jun 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #2,671 of 4,123
Impedance is rarely "selected." An amp with low output impedance is able to drive headphones of any impedance so long as it is still high relative to the amp output impedance.  Otherwise, the impedance curve shape of the headphone will affect the frequency response curve shape and be audible as coloration. 

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #2,674 of 4,123
Have not used the Arrow 4G in awhile due to the  hiss I hear with W4 ( my main IEM).
Yesterday I changed to  Heir's magnus 1 cable and nothing but the music
biggrin.gif
- no hiss, at least not yet but it has about 24 hours
Not sure what that means but I am going to be using the Arrow more these days and the battery life is like no other in my collections

To no hiss/ buzz/ hum  
beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #2,676 of 4,123
I didnt read all the posts on this thread, but if someone could tell me if the arrow 4g is good enough for the Senn HD650 + iMod, i would really appreciate the advice!

Source : iMod
Amp : Arrow 4 G
Headphone : Sennheiser HD 650
Cable : Lod to USB with resistor for your iMod
SQ : is very good in high gain , treble and bass plus 1 setting
IMO

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2,678 of 4,123
I had sent my amp almost 60 days back for repair...and did not get back till now.

Previously (last October) I sent my amp back for upgrade (3G->4G) and was 60 days to receive back (in December).

He is answering about every 3rd emails...(SUM 16 emails, so far...)

Anyone has this bad experience about any other customer service?

I think for this niche market product need much better service. Even if so good sounding and practical design.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #2,680 of 4,123
With the Arrow 4G, I found that the gain switch has effects on frequency response (after readjusting to equal volume), namely the character of the treble and how forward or flat the midrange is.  Gain itself, assuming it plays loud enough, or doesn't have noise, doesn't have anything to do with this.... Interaction seems to be with the impedance of the headhphones and the amp's output impedance which probably changes with gain.  Just test closely. 

I can't recall if I preferred gain 1 or 2 with HD650.  Left everything else flat. Listen for smoother, less sibilant treble. 

I use gain 0 with my PFE 232, everything else at 0 also.  The PFE has emphasis on bass and treble, and I found the treble was smoother at gain 0 along with a fuller midrange to counter the v-shaped response of the PFE 232.  

I've upgraded my HD650 setup to a Ray Samuels SR-71B amp (still unbalanced cabling).  Much more authority and clarity, but at 2.5 x the price (and size) of the Arrow, I think it serves to recommend the lower-cost 4G owing to the relatively modest sonic differences.  

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,682 of 4,123
Have had my 4T for about 2 weeks. It does sound good to me paired w/a Samsung 4S and V-100 headphones. I left everything flat except for +1 on the treble boost because the phones appear to roll off some on the highs. Delivery took about 1.5 weeks after order and payment, shipped from China (someone over there makes this for the seller). I sent him two emails and he answered within 2 days for each one. Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase (and this is first experience with this portable situation).

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2,683 of 4,123
Was also ok when I bought, arrived within 1week.

These issues happened when upgrading and wehn sent back to repair...
Anyway I can proove anytime what happened to me, twice, 60days scam.
Nonexisting customer service. Like with any low level Chinese copyphone selling site.

I cannot recommend this to anyone.

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,684 of 4,123
Running a shoestring company and ramping up a new design can be fraught with problems, including in China.  I can imagine him trying to reserve production line time, working through quality issues given the low skill level available, parts delays, holidays, even bribes... it is a lot harder than it seems.

Back a while ago, my 4G came fast, and it is unrivalled at the price.  

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #2,685 of 4,123
I had very quick delivery and rapid answers to all my emails (quite a few) when I ordered the 4G recently. When I queried the fact that it arrived from China Robert told me that he had actually gone over to China to oversea production and QC. He seems totally committed to producing an outstanding product and probably gets overwhelmed from time to time. Frustrating when it happens I am certain but the amp is terrific IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back