Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jul 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #2,686 of 4,123
Quote:
Was also ok when I bought, arrived within 1week.

These issues happened when upgrading and wehn sent back to repair...
Anyway I can proove anytime what happened to me, twice, 60days scam.
Nonexisting customer service. Like with any low level Chinese copyphone selling site.

I cannot recommend this to anyone.

@bitlisz

1. You say he answers 1 in 3 emails which IMO is not "non-existing" customer service. Try running a business like this and see how many emails you answer.

2. You mention your upgrade...who else offers them?

3. You can prove a 60 day scam but you received an upgraded amp (for very little money)? Remind me never to do business with you.

Robert moved to China to oversee quality control despite the fact he didn't speak the language...hardly a low level Chinese "copyphone" selling site (whatever that is)

There have been many people who waited while Robert either upgraded the amp or dealt with inevitable problems that arise in what is basically a one man enterprise. He may be slow to respond at times but has never scammed anyone that I know of.

Finally,

In a thread titled: "Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations" If you can't say something useful or helpful regarding the amp itself maybe you should buy another of the hundreds of amps now available in this so-called "niche" market.

The Arrow is a great amp with about the best form factor I've seen and some of the beast SQ I've heard. I know people with other very expensive portable amps who now use the Arrow almost exclusively.  Any minimal SQ difference another larger portable amp might provide (often different rather than better) is outweighed by the convenience/functions of the Arrow.

In contrast to your negative comment I highly recommend any generation of the Arrow (I still own and use a 1st gen as well as my main 4G)

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #2,688 of 4,123
This email is on their webpage.
Emails/Issue/complaint/feedback handling - as these are part of the customer support - are key tasks for business.
Not only receiving payment.

I am also working with chinese guys...I know that they different business ethics, but I did not expected this from Germany, at all.

I can support their enterprise with wait for 2 months, but when twice the same waiting issue...

Even if the product is so good (until if works).

And I am switching to Apex Glacier now.

And about the business with you...this is far more personal. I will report this next time, and case closed from my point.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #2,689 of 4,123
Quote:
In a thread titled: "Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations" If you can't say something useful or helpful regarding the amp itself maybe you should buy another of the hundreds of amps now available in this so-called "niche" market.

I am sorry, I did not noticed till now that at least 3 threads for shipping issues:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574116/delivery-of-headstage-arrow-he-4g
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661976/headstage-arrow-approximate-shipping-time
http://www.head-fi.org/t/528039/shipping-on-headstage-arrow-12he-3g
And one thread about almost same battery issue as for me:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592897/headstage-arrow-battery-problems

Or in this forum only positíve comments approved?
Then this must be in the title.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #2,690 of 4,123
Quote:
I am sorry, I did not noticed till now that at least 3 threads for shipping issues:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574116/delivery-of-headstage-arrow-he-4g
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661976/headstage-arrow-approximate-shipping-time
http://www.head-fi.org/t/528039/shipping-on-headstage-arrow-12he-3g
And one thread about almost same battery issue as for me:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592897/headstage-arrow-battery-problems

Or in this forum only positíve comments approved?
Then this must be in the title.

Is it JUST the battery? If so, I'd just order the new battery, get a torx driver, open the Arrow and replace it myself. There is really no need to send it back if it is JUST the battery. If it kept dying after the replacement, only then would I contact Robert about possible issues. 

Keep in mind that he used batteries from Apple products which is both a curse and a blessing. The curse is that they have a terrible longevity issue. I stopped buying iPods because after a year they lost the ability to hold a charge (with the amount I used and charged them, I'm assuming the Arrow is better off in this regard because it is JUST powering the amp and not everything else that would be in an iPod, thus have a longer battery life overall). So for me, I got mine second hand after two users... I'm pretty much expecting having to change the battery in a few months to a year. Right now it is perfectly functional, and having a longer battery life than I even expected. I'm charging my Arrow and my J3 pretty much in tandem almost (there is slight disconnect due to me getting the Arrow fully charged and using it with my J3 which hadn't been charged for a while). But if it drops off severely I'm not going to be at all surprised because every single last iPod I've ever owned had that issue after a while. And though not every iPod experiences that battery drainage problem, I know that the batteries Apple uses can have that issue (I probably just got 3 not good batteries in my iPods) and often enough to be ready to have to make the change myself. 

Which brings me to the blessing... They are so easy to change a child could do it! After you open it, all you need to do is unplug the old one and plug in the new one. That's it. I'm pretty sure Robert did that on purpose so that people could replace it on their own if necessary.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #2,691 of 4,123
I've replaced the battery in an arrow before, I used an older apple photo battery and it seemed to work pretty well. Also you can get them for cheap and you just unplug the old battery and plug in the new battery it's held down with scotch tape.

Is try this before I sent it off, but it may be a charging won't hold a charge issue that Robert may need to fix

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #2,693 of 4,123
I'm pretty sure Robert did that on purpose so that people could replace it on their own if necessary.

That's why there are two ugly great screws in the casing.
Incidentally. The day we can only post positive comments about a product is the day that this forum becomes useless.
Although I love the Arrow and had a perfectly good buying experience from Robert. Bad customer service is bad customer service whatever the reasons. Robert is taking a reasonable amount of a customers money. The customer deserves reasonable service. People need to be aware that there may be issues and that they may need to be patient when ordering this product.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,694 of 4,123
Quote:
The problem was only similar, but root cause was the charging chip (this is rare).
I guess the battery replacement didnot solve :frowning2:

That stinks... Good luck getting it fixed/replaced by Robert then :frowning2: 

Quote:
That's why there are two ugly great screws in the casing.
Incidentally. The day we can only post positive comments about a product is the day that this forum becomes useless.
Although I love the Arrow and had a perfectly good buying experience from Robert. Bad customer service is bad customer service whatever the reasons. Robert is taking a reasonable amount of a customers money. The customer deserves reasonable service. People need to be aware that there may be issues and that they may need to be patient when ordering this product.

Yeah,but I don't consider them ugly. If they were a garish different colour then yeah, but they aren't. Besides... I never see them.

As for the negative comments/CS issue. I agree on both. I haven't had to deal with Robert yet, but he should have a separate system for CS support. Perhaps he can train someone. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #2,695 of 4,123
I have received "something" and works fine! As Robert stated this is 4T and have tube sound. 
From outside I cannot tell this is 4G or 4T at all, because everything looks similar (case/switches).
Just now found on board layout some difference (below right side screw), as maybe this op amp replaced with some components.
I wonder now which op amp in it. <-updated
But seems the EMI noise lowered by much, but still there (10/8 -> 10/3). I still need to switch to airplane mode with SGS3.
However about the sound I cannot tell without ABX any special.
I do not hear any special ("warm", "rich" ?), same good sound. I hope he not introduced some even order distorsion. Maybe (maybe) a bit more low end bass.
I have made again picture.
4T:

4G:

3G:

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #2,696 of 4,123
My experience of buying an arrow didn't go very well!
I decided to buy one last week, i was choosing between the arrow or jds labs C5, mainly for the bass boost.
Anyway, finally decided to go for the Arrow, so ordered one from the website, and chose to pay with Paypal, but unfortunately the link to Paypal messed up and it said i had been timed out.

This resulted in me having an order email with order number, but no way of paying for it!
No problem, so i emailed Robert to tell him what happened, and received nothing back.

I waited a few days, then i bought the C5!-A question i asked jds labs about the charger was answered within 10 minutes, and it was sent within 30 minutes.

I'm still waiting to hear from Robert!

Good customer service is so important. You need to know you will be looked after if anything goes wrong..

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #2,697 of 4,123
I think the paypal issue has helped you there. C5 is a better amp if your preference is bass quantity and power ( I sold my C5 because I got too much bass when matched it with XBA40/HM602, I found C5 is better for RE262/272). I then got a 4G from Robert, the Arrow has better synergy with my setup, I was a bit lucky that did not have order/service problems however I did have to wait 3 weeks to receive the amp and there always a delay in mail reply. Agree that Robert customer service is not satisfactory but at least the amp is of good quality and performance.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,698 of 4,123
I think the paypal issue has helped you there. C5 is a better amp if your preference is bass quantity and power ( I sold my C5 because I got too much bass when matched it with XBA40/HM602, I found C5 is better for RE262/272). I then got a 4G from Robert, the Arrow has better synergy with my setup, I was a bit lucky that did not have order/service problems however I did have to wait 3 weeks to receive the amp and there always a delay in mail reply. Agree that Robert customer service is not satisfactory but at least the amp is of good quality and performance.

Did the bass on the 4G take a major dive? How is that possible? The bass on my 3G is unlike anything I've ever heard! Plus the power was intoxicating. Only amp I've ever had that could fully power my LCD's and give them huge quality kick in the bass department. Are you saying the C5 is better overall than the 4G?? That's sounds a bit far fetched but seeing that I haven't owned one yet or heard one I'll have to take your advice.

Thanks,

:evil:

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,699 of 4,123
My new 4T has more than enough bass, especially when the music demands it, i.e. not boomy, but deep when needed. As far as emails, I received replies the next day, no big deal when you remember that Germany is 6 hours ahead of us. Also, I did not have any problems with paying by Paypal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back