Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Jun 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,641 of 4,123
How the Arrow could make anything "sound dark" is beyond me. Which model do you have mpaluk91?

To me the 4G (no hardware EQ on) is pretty much "wire with gain" (transparent amplification).

I feel the same. Mpaluk91 has the 4G iirc. Which is odd to me. Since it isn't a warm amp. And if it is it is so light that I don't notice it. And I don't exactly have a collection of bright headphones that would pair well with a warm amp.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #2,643 of 4,123
Quote:
I can't find much info about the 4T model. I just ordered it, but I'm a little nervous.
Are there any significant changes that would make the reviews of past models outdated?

4T is supposed to be 'warmer' sound than the 4G (ie has some colouration is the way I read it) - I personally found the 4G very flat/linear - definitely my pref YMMV.

If the 4T isn't to your preference - then I'd suggest looking in the classified as there are a couple of 4Gs for sale, and I know one in particular is in practically new condition (mine 
wink.gif
).

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #2,644 of 4,123
Quote:

4T is supposed to be 'warmer' sound than the 4G (ie has some colouration is the way I read it) - I personally found the 4G very flat/linear - definitely my pref YMMV.

If the 4T isn't to your preference - then I'd suggest looking in the classified as there are a couple of 4Gs for sale, and I know one in particular is in practically new condition (mine 
wink.gif
).

Hmm. I feel like a warmer sound might benefit a lot of the music I listen to, especially folk and ambient stuff.
I'll be using it with the E17 DAC + HD598, if that matters.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2,645 of 4,123
Why would you not use the E17 as DAC and amp?  Why do you need the Arrow?  HD598 not exactly hard to drive either .....

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #2,646 of 4,123
Quote:
Why would you not use the E17 as DAC and amp?  Why do you need the Arrow?  HD598 not exactly hard to drive either .....

I don't exactly need it, but I just want a higher quality amp.
There are a lot of people doing this, because apparently the E17 amp isn't that great.
If I don't hear any real difference then I'll return it.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #2,647 of 4,123
Quote:

I don't exactly need it, but I just want a higher quality amp.
There are a lot of people doing this, because apparently the E17 amp isn't that great.
If I don't hear any real difference then I'll return it.

Ok ......... you just might want to check out Robert's return policy first.  It's not like he's a big company like Amazon.

I stills ay your best bet is buying used - then you can always resell without losing too much if it doesn't suit.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #2,648 of 4,123
Quote:

Ok ......... you just might want to check out Robert's return policy first.  It's not like he's a big company like Amazon.

I stills ay your best bet is buying used - then you can always resell without losing too much if it doesn't suit.

I know, I don't plan on returning it but the site says "30 day money back guarantee". I'll email him about the details.
The full 2 year warranty is part of why I want to buy it new.
I'm using it with 598's now, but if I decide to buy high impedance headphones in the future I'll still be set.

Honestly, the constant stream of conflicting opinions regarding the importance of amps is a little confusing.
Some people say it's all about volume, but others are using expensive amps with IEMs and swear it improves the SQ a lot.
I guess I'll be finding out for myself soon.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,650 of 4,123
Still waiting for Arrow 4T VS 4G comparison.. Anybody? I mailed Rob about upgrade and he said it will be available later this year. I think it should be pretty simple, desolder the old opamp and soldering the new one. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2,652 of 4,123
I'm using the 4g with Senn IE8's + iPhone 4S and am very happy with the sound. When I bought my Arrow recently Robert said that I could return it if I didn't like it. I think he knows that isn't going to happen!:wink:

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,653 of 4,123
Anyone with the 4T yet? Curious as to how it sounds compared to the 4g. The UHA-6S blows away the arrow, but is not nearly as portable.

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2,654 of 4,123
Quote:
Anyone with the 4T yet? Curious as to how it sounds compared to the 4g. The UHA-6S blows away the arrow, but is not nearly as portable.

Blows it away how? Personally the 3G was awesome but could use a little refinement and that's what I'm hoping for with the 4T but I want them to keep the same over the top bonkers bass as the 3G. Either way though for the money there still is nothing else out there that can do all that the Arrow does. Run both the T1 and  HD800's at the same time on the first gain level run the HE-6 with little problem, stupid long battery life, great sound, and all in a small but mighty well built package... 

Yes Yes I know... 
deadhorse.gif

Why the hell did I sell my Arrow LOL!!

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #2,655 of 4,123
I'm also waiting for the 4T review of any sort but I think I'll buy one when I have the funds ready and do it myself. I have a feeling that its going to take everything great about the 3G and improve on it. At least I hope lol Either way its still going to be an awesome amp. Not a fan of them raising the price to $329 from $299 but if its a real improvement than no problem there.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back