Headset for all purposes, I need some advices
Sep 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

zeed

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I'm new in the forum and I just registered here because I've read many interesting threads and I think many of you have really the knowledge of what they are speaking =)

I'm looking for a good Music, Movies and Games Headphone, with a budget of around 150 euro, and if it's really worth it, i'd even go for 200e.

I've read many reviews about headphone and each time I read something, I'm more and more confused about the choice.

I've read nice things about Grado and AKG about music for their natural sound, but I dont know if the specifics of those are fit for what I'm looking for, any advice?

The principally use will be on my pc, using my Xonar DX Sound Card, and that will be nice if I use the headphone even on my Mp3 or on others pc that havent a sound card, but this has less importance.

On music side, I listen to any kind of songs, from classic to rock, from commercial to disco, passing by hip-hop, jazz and many others, so I'd like to have something smooth for all purposes, not only giving his best only on a certain kind of music and his worst in others..

As for movies and games, I'd like to have something surrounding, able to push the movie and the game experience to a new class of hearing!

I dont need a wireless-headset, and neither a microphone (even if a little one would still be a nice extra!), just a good wired product for all purposes; I dont know if I'm asking just too much, but I think my budget can help?

Considering what I've read so far, I think the best brands are:

-AKG
-Grado
-Sennheiser
-Beyerdinamics

At now, having read many opinions (and having never heard something with those headphones), I found that the high level monitoring (akg and grado) headsets are good for music but bad for games and movies and the gaming headset (Logitech G35, Tritton AX Pro, as example) arent good for music listening..

I thanks all for the help you will give to me, because I'm totally lost! I'm sorry for my english, I know it's not the best but I tried to make my thinking understandable :wink:

Have a good day, Nico.

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 24
My sound card wont be enought in your opinion?

As for Beyers and Ultrasones, can you give me an advice about which models are you speaking about? I've seen the internet website of Beyers and there are a tons of Headsets!

Thanks much for your help :)

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 24
The Beyer DT770s would seem to fit the bill.  It has good bass and soundstaging which helps for movies and games.  The mids are a little sucked out so its not perfect for every genre of music.  If you're coming from those cheap "5.1" headsets and haven't had the chance to hear anything better, it will still be a revelation though.  The 32 ohm version should run decently from you sound card.  There's also a version called the MMX 300 with a mic as well, but its a lot more than just buying a separate one, and probably out of you budget.  I don't know what the going rate for those 'phones is in your neck of the woods though.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 24
I'm not sure what pricing for Ultrasones is like in Europe, but I'd probably recommend the HFI 780 for your purposes. They were actually designed as an enjoyment headphone for movies/games and also do very well with electronic and hip hop type music. Ultrasone also has a patent on their S-Logic technology which simulates 3d surround sound in stereo...some don't believe in it but it definitely seems to work for me, especially when gaming.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 24
Thanks bot for the good advices, those headsets seem really awesome!
@clou91: about the HFI780, you said that they do well with electronic and hip hop music, but what about rock, jazz and classical?

Thanks for your help guys! =)

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 24
I've seen even the B&W (Bowers&Wilkins) headphones, and specifically the model P5 Mobile Hi-Fi Headphones: are them good? Someone already got something from this brand? The price is around 250$, so around 200euros..worth it or HFI and Beyerdinamic are superior?

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 24
Sep 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 24
Oh, I see! Really not at the same level of HFI780 and 770 pro !
Why you think 770 pro are better than hfi780?
Sorry for so many questions but I'd like to have the best bang/buck product :)

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
Thanks bot for the good advices, those headsets seem really awesome!
@clou91: about the HFI780, you said that they do well with electronic and hip hop music, but what about rock, jazz and classical?

Thanks for your help guys! =)

I must have missed the part where you said you listen to rock because I actually really enjoy the 780s with rock...sorry, I don't listen to a lot of jazz and classical so I can't be a lot of help there. The only jazz group I have in my music library is Say Ocean. I suppose the 780s will be fine at jazz and maybe they'll be adequate for classical, but for me I enjoy them most with rock type genres and feel they're above average with hip hop and electronic. Though if you can shell out the extra dough, the 900s do almost every genre EXCEPT rock and acoustic better than the 780s. I listened to a couple sample tracks the other day from HDtracks.com and the 900s seemed to do classical very decently. However, as I said before I really don't listen to classical regularly and don't have a benchmark for it.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks for the reply
wink_face.gif

At the moment my choice is going more and more to the Ultrasone HFI780, because it seem to be a really good headphone and I like it's style; but, just another thing: for 160 euro (the price I spend for them, we havent many sellers in italy, sadly) there is something better, or those headphones are really the best bang/buck?

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 24
160 euro is a little above the street price in the U.S., but still much lower than the price here in Canada. I stated in another thread that the most I'd pay for them is $180 US, but that's only because street prices in the U.S. are dirt cheap right now. SQ wise, they're a very strong headphone and the best part about them is you don't have to buy a $300 amp to make them sound good. Maybe some of the other European members can help you out more, but 160 euro seems like a good price to me.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 24
Thanks very much for your help, clou, because I were totally lost looking for a good pair of headphones and I didnt found any others website/forums as good as this one, with people directly speaking about the sound-impression of each setup, and this fact is really useful!
Into 1 week I will order them (I have to wait to get my work-pay), and I will give a feedback: thanks for all ur help again dude!
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back